Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

knocking sound HELP !

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy knocking sound HELP !

Hi there, I am new to this forum and have posted a few responses in other threads but haven't gotten a solution yet.
I have also read through a bunch of threads but people all seem to be getting different solutions.

I am getting a knocking sound from the front left of my EVO8, it only happens at slow speeds. I have had it looked at by two places and they can't seem to fault it although I notice everytime they do take everything apart and check it and tighten back everything, the noise goes away for a few days then will progressively come back from now and then til it gets back to regularly knocking everytime i drive. They have changed swaybar bushes, and taken apart the coils and cleaned them for 'stiction' ?.. After i told them the noise came back they cant seem to find a solution, although suggested something to do with my endlinks ?

most people say endlinks, cv joints, wheel bearing, top mounts, the shock itself etc but i am hoping since the noise goes away then comes back it wont be anything too serious??

I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas on the matter. Thanks !
Old Jul 2, 2012, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

do you have an aftermarket clutch?, if so it can be making the noises from the front left i know my clutch is loud at idle then when i depress it the noise goes away. try disengaging the clutch when you are hearing the noise if it goes away when depressed its the clutch making some sort of sound.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elim0
Hi there, I am new to this forum and have posted a few responses in other threads but haven't gotten a solution yet.
I have also read through a bunch of threads but people all seem to be getting different solutions.

I am getting a knocking sound from the front left of my EVO8, it only happens at slow speeds. I have had it looked at by two places and they can't seem to fault it although I notice everytime they do take everything apart and check it and tighten back everything, the noise goes away for a few days then will progressively come back from now and then til it gets back to regularly knocking everytime i drive. They have changed swaybar bushes, and taken apart the coils and cleaned them for 'stiction' ?.. After i told them the noise came back they cant seem to find a solution, although suggested something to do with my endlinks ?

most people say endlinks, cv joints, wheel bearing, top mounts, the shock itself etc but i am hoping since the noise goes away then comes back it wont be anything too serious??

I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas on the matter. Thanks !
Well bro, you aren't the only one. I have a little knock when I drive slow and turn. I did some research and I hear it's the same that you mentioned. We have a good mechanic here that gives us the hook up so I'm taking my baby to him tomorrow to install: viper alarm, AEM WB02, and diagnose the knocking.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:56 AM

i have a similar noise on my 01' VII, when im turning it clunks almost like its rubbing on the liner but its not. the CV boots look great and there is no rubbing. I think it might be my ball joint as these fail frequently on evo's. The noise is louder sometimes than others but i cant pinpoint the variables that affect it. I have heard it from my right front as well but not nearly as bad.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

i just changed my clutch last week it was a HD and now is a Sports Organic, it was doing it before and is still doing it now.
my noise goes away everytime the mechanic tightens and checks everything but always comes back after a few days progressively.. like somethings not tightening ?? or keeps getting loose??

superkuz can you let me know how it goes !

yes mine is mainly the left side although i have heard it on the right once or twice before.

i have spoken to mechanic he thinks its my endlink.. he said wheel bearing dont make a knocking/clunk noise, and same with cv ? - im going in to the workshop now to check the car out with the mechanic instead of leaving it there, see if i can diagnose the problem. will keep this thread posted !!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
also have this same knocking sound on the left side as well, I didn't hear it until I installed swift springs, now it's very noticeable. Wondering what it could be as well, made sure everything was tight when reinstalled and greased up the top mount, seems like it went away but not sure.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

i would check your upper strut mounts, see if there cracking and worn out, a couple fixes, both require two people, one is to have one in the car other looking under hood go from end to end with steering wheel slowly,watch the upper mounts for movement, or cracking in them. Next step would be to jack up the car as you do watch to see if theres movement in the mounts. If its not the strut mounts, more then likely a ball joint as previously said.
good luck
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

I had a similar knocking coming from the right coilover. It went away though, soooo...I have nothing.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iloveturbolag
i have a similar noise on my 01' VII, when im turning it clunks almost like its rubbing on the liner but its not. the CV boots look great and there is no rubbing. I think it might be my ball joint as these fail frequently on evo's. The noise is louder sometimes than others but i cant pinpoint the variables that affect it. I have heard it from my right front as well but not nearly as bad.

When i had a noise on my 06 it was that it need new shocks.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elim0
i just changed my clutch last week it was a HD and now is a Sports Organic, it was doing it before and is still doing it now.
my noise goes away everytime the mechanic tightens and checks everything but always comes back after a few days progressively.. like somethings not tightening ?? or keeps getting loose??

superkuz can you let me know how it goes !

yes mine is mainly the left side although i have heard it on the right once or twice before.

i have spoken to mechanic he thinks its my endlink.. he said wheel bearing dont make a knocking/clunk noise, and same with cv ? - im going in to the workshop now to check the car out with the mechanic instead of leaving it there, see if i can diagnose the problem. will keep this thread posted !!
Elim0, no problemo.. I would have had an answer earlier but when the mechanic handed me back the car with a fixed sunroof, newly install WB02 gauge, and new alarm I just rolled out playing with everything. Didn't even stop to think about the 'clunk'. I did remember it when I had to turn and pull into the driveway slowly though.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 04:26 AM
Evolving Member

okay so i was at the mechs the other day and we were playing around with it . we took off the endlinks and drove but it still knocked so its not the swaybar endlinks. my mech says if wheel bearings are faulty they whine and is very distinguishable, and cv joints click as you drive along.

he told me to switch my shocks and see if the noise transfers to the other side and if so is obvious it will be the shocks. i will try this even though the previous place claimed they dismantled and cleaned for stiction and the shocks were in good condition ?? unless they didnt install them back properly.

my mechanic says besides that my only option now is to
-change my lower arm rear bush ( i hear that you cant see it as its some kind of internal wear ?????
- buy new bolts so i can torque everything super tight ??

- anyone know anything about BALL JOINTS ??
Old Jul 6, 2012, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mr2lover55
Wondering what it could be as well, made sure everything was tight when reinstalled and greased up the top mount, seems like it went away but not sure.
Originally Posted by dastallion951
i would check your upper strut mounts, see if there cracking and worn out, a couple fixes, both require two people, one is to have one in the car other looking under hood go from end to end with steering wheel slowly,watch the upper mounts for movement, or cracking in them. Next step would be to jack up the car as you do watch to see if theres movement in the mounts. If its not the strut mounts, more then likely a ball joint as previously said.
good luck

even though the sound sounds like its coming from left hand side bottom(at the feet)

how would i check top mounts ? what part of the shock am i actually greasing up ??
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:54 PM

should like a bad shock mount or balljoint over there
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

okay so still no success. i have had everything checked through and through. everything seems fine and 2 workshops could not fault anything. a shop has recommended i change my swaybar links. i have read on a few threads and people always mention to change them, but I HAVE YET to read of someone solving the problem by changing their swaybar links.... does anyone know if this could even be the solution ??
Old May 9, 2017, 12:38 PM

4 years too late, but i have the same issue and tried everything.
replaced shocks, replaced ball joints/tie rods with whiteline bump steer kit, replaced control arms and bushings, replaced sway bar end links. Nothing fixed it.
It rattles and knocks even moving 1mph going over tiny rocks on the road... constant low rattle on the highway. Feels like its right under the clutch pedal.

Quick Reply: knocking sound HELP !