Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

OEM sport meter install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OEM sport meter install

Just picked up an OEM sport meter from a member on the forum. I know it's not the best set of gauges, but i'm going for the stock look. Are there any threads on an install? I searched, but couldn't' find them. I know I need to pick up the oil sensor for the setup... as told to me by the seller... I have an Evo IX GSR and I don't believe it fits in the "cubby hole" without modification to the cubby hole. I did see there is an "install kit" to be purchased. Can anyone assist with this?

Thank you very much for your time.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's pretty simple man. You'll need the radio relocation kit I believe to make it John in the lower dash cubby. I have the setup in my 8. I work the next few days, but I can rip it out and take pics on Friday if you haven't figured it out by then. I think there is a stock wiring harness setup for it.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks man, that would help A LOT! I have most of the wiring harness... minus the oil sensor... I heard in a thread you can install it in like 10mins. with some hand held tools...

I want to put it in the lower cubby, not above the HVAC controls... do I need a relocation kit, and where can one acquire one? Lancershop?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yes you need the radio relocation kit, but most importantly you need that oil temp sensor, which my friend I am willing to bet you will not find, it's not sold on it's own, and without it you have a useless gauge.
Install is fairly simple, run a hose from engine to boost gauge, plug the harness that came with the gauges ( did you get that harness?) and run the cable for the sensor.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
Yes you need the radio relocation kit, but most importantly you need that oil temp sensor, which my friend I am willing to bet you will not find, it's not sold on it's own, and without it you have a useless gauge.
Install is fairly simple, run a hose from engine to boost gauge, plug the harness that came with the gauges ( did you get that harness?) and run the cable for the sensor.
I do have the harness and the hose for the boost gauge... quite honestly, if I don't get the oil temp sensor, and have a useless gauge, oh well.... I won't' worry to badly about it, I just want to have it installed for now, instead of sitting in a box in my garage. I'll keep checking the "part out" threads looking for the oil temp sensor.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 05:46 PM

I should have some downtime on Friday I'll snap some pics for you. Do you have a phone I could text them to? Pm me your number, I don't have Internet right now and I check the forums on my phone.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks man... PM with phone # sent!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Pulled everything off today and test fitted everything... Pretty straightforward so far... i have the gauges up by the radio location, but not wired in yet. Four screws easily put into place. The radio however doesn't screw into the lower portion. Do you need additionally bracketing to install the radio? I have the console relocation kit on order, but in my test fitting I couldn't get the four screws in the radio to match up and screw into the lower portion.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

P.S.

I did find out that there IS indeed additional bracketing that screw into the sides of the radio... in order for the relocation to work.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Ive also heard that all the sensors are calibrated for the gauge that it was hooked up to from the factory! That could be a down side to that. I could be wrong tho! Search and find out tho man.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
I bet if he PM's me with an incredible off I'd be willing to sell mine
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by MCPunk79
P.S.

I did find out that there IS indeed additional bracketing that screw into the sides of the radio... in order for the relocation to work.
there is additionally bracketing (shorter I believe), as well as some black plastic spacers.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Guitarplyr
there is additionally bracketing (shorter I believe), as well as some black plastic spacers.
On my MR, black plastic spacers is all I needed to swap my gauges and radio around.... but of course I already had them.