Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oiled-Dirt-to-Tarmac-Understeer! Jeez!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2004, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never experienced such poor handling!
Sounds like poor driving to me, not handling.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 05:57 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Oh, like you guys have never been caught out by an unexpected surface change.

You might call that inexperience, but hinting at antisocial behavior seems a bit extreme for an EVO forum. (He did mention waiting for traffic to clear.) Maybe on a Volvo forum.

Back in the '70s (in the RWD days), I was running a nominally tarmac stage through the 'Jersey pine barrens. Most of the "soil" in the barrens is sand. Sure 'nuff, a previous car cut the corner, and tossed sand all over the tarmac.

That really was understeer. The left front shock punched through the hood of my Fiat 124 as the front end dropped into a ditch.

Club rally back in the '70s didn't have tv coverage, helicopter trackers, onboard telemetry, cell phones -- or much in the way of spectators. The next car along had to stop and help us get the car out of the ditch. (The back end was blocking the stage.) That was the worst part: The stage was so narrow that not only did helping us out of the ditch cost him time, it seemed like forever before I had a place I could pull over and let him pass. (I wasn't exactly setting stage records with only three corners of suspension.) (FIAT: Finally, I Am Through!)

But then, the car behind him never caught us up, so maybe it wasn't all that slow. Or maybe he got caught out by the same corner.

Now those were the days.

Last edited by DGS; Feb 2, 2004 at 06:05 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 07:29 AM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DGS
Oh, like you guys have never been caught out by an unexpected surface change.
If you reread you'll see there was nothing unexpected about it. It was just another incident of his driving "style".

Originally posted by chopdaddy So then I rolled to the end of the dirt road and stopped at the stop sign. I prepared for a right hand turn and waited for traffic to clear. The road I'm about to enter is dry asphalt. Why not? Let's give it another hard launch.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

If you never leave your lane or get close to someone then the more radical the better. I've got passing lane stories just below Big Bear in the snow. Front end let go, then the back end let go. Then the limited slip hooked up. Car was about 10 degrees off actual angle travelled. Eased the throttle car hooked back up. I was passing a long string of cars with oncoming traffic. Stayed in my lane and continued on carefully pulling away from the string. Can you say understeer, oversteer, counter steer and back into the cleaner lane. Wouldn't have wanted to be on the cell phone during this. Maybe he was just giving a cautionary tale. When the surface changes be ready for the unexpected and be glad you are in a car that handles like ours. If you always want to be "on rails" take the train.

Last edited by DRWN KIX; Feb 2, 2004 at 07:46 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 08:17 AM

Isn't it interesting how someone will share a "learning experience" and get chewed out for it?

We should instead be using these as "lessons learned" and gain some knowledge from it so others don't repeat this experience.

Anybody wanna hear how a 1965 Ford Galaxie can be coaxed into jumping a bridge and break the rear shocks, exhaust, and blow a tire? Uh, oops, not going to share THAT one!
Old Feb 2, 2004, 06:46 PM
DGS
Evolving Member

Originally posted by LDB
If you reread you'll see there was nothing unexpected about it. It was just another incident of his driving "style".
The difference between "expected" and "unexpected" is experience.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 09:00 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was nothing unexpected about the surface change, he said so in the original post. I'm sure the outcome was unexpected although if one is going to push a car that much it shouldn't be, even with lack of experience. The lack thereof should be the first clue someone has actually, and they should know that because they lack experience there are going to be alligators that bite them in the butt just like this.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

The difference between "expected" and "unexpected" is experience. [/B][/QUOTE]
Experience is something you only get 1 minute after you needed it.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Sheite, lurid oversteering 4 wheel drifts on slick pavement are a blast...I prolly did that twice on the way to work. Hell, that's why I bought an Evo, KICK *** handling.