Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clear coat flaking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear coat flaking

I know this is a common problem with evo rear spoliers. What have people done to preven it and to repair it? Thanks David.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are many topics on this, use the advanced search button, only select lancer evolution 1-9 as where to search and type your topic in there. You will find MANY threads.

Any way i sanded mine down to the carbon fiber and recleared it with clear spray paint. Lasted me a whole summer untill the spray paint couldn't handle the sun anymore and now looks the same. Eventually i am going to re sand it and have a shop do it the right way.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im actually re-doing mine as i type... Since my car is a dd and sits in the sun all day (no garage) i get oxidation and redo my hood/trunk every year or two depends how bad it gets. Still unsure why, but my trunk in a certain area got a lot worse then the rest and hood is just a little oxidized but will still redo it.

Go get some sand paper, 600grit, 800grit and 1000grit if you want to spend the extra time.. I personally just use 600 and 800. Get some water with a little bit of soap and keep the surface area wet. If the sand paper starts to stick a little, then you're working to dry and go ahead and wet the area again.

After you spend some time sanding, go ahead and just rinse the area and let it dry, depending on the results, its ready for paint or more sanding. When its dry you'll see any area's that are still flaked or oxidized.

When clear coating, you can either get duplicolor or tremclad clear coat. When spraying, first coat do light, second coat medium, and third coat a little wet (not to heavy so you dont get any drips). Practice on a small piece of plastic if you're worried.

Another cheap option, is, wet sand yourself to your liking, and find a shop that you can drop it off to be re-cleared with a spray gun, which comes out as you'd expect a little nicer, all depends on your budget.

gl

dave
Old Jul 6, 2012, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with the above post... Many automotive clears have UV inhibitors that work well, however there is a special paint sold by ALSA (not sure who they are rebranding from) that has extra UV inhibitors, they call it "sun screen clear" This will be what I will use when I re-do my spare Evo VIII wing. (the problem is with the full carbon fiber Evo 8 wings, the fiberglass side/carbon fiber wing spoilers of the IX did not have the problem I believe). Also the dealers would replace the 8 wings with 9 wings when there was a warranty replacement.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Hey thank a lot you two. I'm going to do it my self. Also FYI there is this new product that is uv clear vinyl that's is kinda like tinting. Tint shops have it. I'm going to clear coat an then see about getting that vinyl on there. And when it goes bad you can peel off and clear coat should be just fine. Thanks again
Old Jul 7, 2012, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I sanded mine down and threw on some carbon fibre wrap, cheaper that way lol.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:44 PM

Best way to prevent it..... leave it in the garage and dont drive it! Good luck with your problem. Mitsubishi has always had problems with their paint, especially with black. If you happen to own a late 90's, early 2000's Mitsubishi its worth checking into the dealer to see if there is a recall. I had a 2001 Eclipse that Mitsubishi gave me up to $2500 to have it repainted.