Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Can't Find 5th and reverse!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't Find 5th and reverse!!!!

So it started happening yesterday. I was driving and I noticed when going into 5th gear I noticed it started clicking against the center console. Then I thought nothing of it at the time but started noticing in every gear there was a lot of free play with the shifter. So today.. Went to get my emissions done and all of a sudden I couldn't find my 5th and reverse gear. And 1-4th gear are fine just with a LOT of freeplay now. Any thoughts on this?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
weird..check your shifter cables?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:14 PM

man I just hope it's nothing that serious. I just got the samn car lol
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Wouldn't 5-reverse be on the same hub slider? I know i had a slider go bad on my 6 speed last year and the 5-6 hub in that tranny had teeth broken off. Where sixth was it was like there was a wall there and it didn't exist.

Does it grind or anything or is it just like a wall or free space? If you hear metal on metal or grinding i would stop driving it and get it fixed asap.

The free play sounds like a shifter bushing popped out possibly? Just throwing out ideas like above said you may want to check the cables that are under the battery where they mount and see if the bushings are there.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey, Im no expert but sounds like the synchros have gone bad.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Wouldn't the syncros start grinding at least some before going completely out? I could be wrong. I just thought they almost always grind because it allows the car to get into a gear and if they malfuntion they do not lock teeth correctly and grind. Again i could be wrong.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:35 PM

Fixed. It was the little ball joint in the shift the white piece or something like that came out completely in the shifter box that connects to the cables. So had to screw that back in and tightened. Shifts normal again. Thank god it was just an easy fix like that. I was scared **$&less.