Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Classic car one day?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classic car one day?

So I've discussed this with my friends and reviewed many car-enthusiasts' lists online on what cars of today will become future classic cars, and I've found nothing but lists made up of American cars: mustangs, corvettes, etc. and that's mainly it; which kind of bothers me (not that I have anything against American cars) but I was just hoping the Evo would make it on that list though my friends don't think it will. However, I still have hopes that it will because Evo 8s and 9s today are a rarity (for me at least) and whenever I see one I always point it out haha and same goes when I see a 300zx or a Supra (which I think are classics) but anyways

Do you guys think the Evo will one day be a classic?

thanks for looking
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
This is a bad subject and will become a flame war...

The reality is that you are asking the wrong group of people... You are on an enthusiast's site, and every fan boy on here will say "yeah man, totally"

But the reality is that it will only become a "classic" within a small group of enthusiasts. It is a moderate volume, mass produced pseudo sports sedan. it may achieve "cult" status, but never be a true classic.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by hatesposers
This is a bad subject and will become a flame war...

The reality is that you are asking the wrong group of people... You are on an enthusiast's site, and every fan boy on here will say "yeah man, totally"

But the reality is that it will only become a "classic" within a small group of enthusiasts. It is a moderate volume, mass produced pseudo sports sedan. it may achieve "cult" status, but never be a true classic.
Yeah, I agree with you. It sucks that it won't achieve something greater, but maybe someday some guy will see one on a freeway or something and say, "Look! Evo!" just like what I do when I see Supras haha
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What 'greater' does it need to achieve? its already an amazing machine that is highly affordable and if you add a bit more money in mods, it can be insanely fast. At the dragstrip, at the race track, at the autox parking lot, whatever you want to do the evo can do it. Why does it need some kind of BS accolade? So people can brag about how they have one at home but never drive it to preserve it's value?

The only thing you should be concerned about is if YOU like it. Who cares what someone else thinks? The 'classic' car market is such a racket. Just an excuse to ask way more money for a car that the buyer will rarely if ever drive because they get it in their head that it's some kind of investment. Its for folks in the 50s and older to finally get some kind of status symbol that they think will improve their lives. Besides classic cars are really only worth the big bucks if they are original which most evos are not. At least mine isn't.

Don't get me wrong the evo is an awesome car, I love mine, but will it ever be classic? hell no, they made way too many. It used to be you had to make so many of a car if you wanted to compete in sanctioned motorsports so car companies would build the race car they wanted and then sell just enough to be allowed to race. Now companies take a car they already make (lancer anyone?) and make it a race car. Much more cost effective.

Last edited by akeric; Jul 13, 2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ahhsodope
Yeah, I agree with you. It sucks that it won't achieve something greater, but maybe someday some guy will see one on a freeway or something and say, "Look! Evo!" just like what I do when I see Supras haha
Oh, people do that already! the Evo is a great car... but it's not going to set next to a Ferrari 250 GT, or a Jag Series 1 XKE, or even a Toyota 2000 GT. It was produced in far too many numbers.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:25 AM

IMHO, the evo6 TME could be a better candidate to become a classic.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

My answer is yes.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

It will achieve the same status as the Supra, RX-7, NSX, AE-86 Corolla, GTR (The older the better), Datsun 240/510, etc. Make of that what you will.

Amongst 50 somethings and older, No.

Amongst people our generation and younger, yes.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
It will achieve the same status as the Supra, RX-7, NSX, AE-86 Corolla, GTR (The older the better), Datsun 240/510, etc. Make of that what you will.

Amongst 50 somethings and older, No.

Amongst people our generation and younger, yes.
Took the response right out of my mouth.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Classic car are not I can't believe Evo 8s are already 10 years old - feels like they just got here yesterday. I feel old.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys. Europe has already been through this evolution w/the EVO 1-X.

Ask them how valuable an EVO 1-7 are$$$$$$

LOL at the comment above that "it may achieve Cult status". In my book, that happened many years ago
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Solenoid
Guys. Europe has already been through this evolution w/the EVO 1-X.

Ask them how valuable an EVO 1-7 are$$$$$$

LOL at the comment above that "it may achieve Cult status". In my book, that happened many years ago
You can check the European auto trader for a cursory look at asking prices for the old generations:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/u...esearchad/used

For some reason I can't get this link to work, it's: autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/mitsubishi/lancer/postcode/w112bq/radius/1501/keywords/evolution/sort/default/onesearchad/used

Last edited by highlyevolved; Jul 13, 2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: broken link
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
The reality is...there is truth to all the comments ITT, for example when im driving down the street and see middle aged daddy cruising with his daughter in his 60's mustang i dont even bother to glance (at any american classic for), however if i happen to drive by a nissan silvia s14 kouki edition i will narrowly cause an accident trying to get a look at why i believe to be a classic. its all about personal interest/age group/crowd. whats a classic to one may not be to another.."mass numbers" have nothing at all to do with a car gaining a classic status.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:35 AM

It will be considered a classic one day just not here in the united states!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it will. Values on these have been holding steady, and even appreciating. Mk4 Supras have shown that given the proper Japanese car, they will climb.

Performance, heritage, low production numbers, memorable appearance, and desirability factor into making a vehicle a classic, and the Evo's got those, debate that how you will.

Quick Reply: Classic car one day?