Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

questions: GSC S2 cams on stock valve springs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sujinX
well taken from GSC power division website, they said "or can be run at the stock revlimit and factory boost on the stock spring"

so given that, i went ahead and got the beehive/ti retainers because im already paying to get cams installed, and the valve springs are right there, shops dont charge but a lil more to do the valve springs too. so, again what most people said and is true, do it right the first time.

ur getting cams, i doubt ur gonna stay with stock boost and rev limit... i thought i was but that was bull$hit, i had the tuner up the boost and stretch the redline. lol

i would suggest u get it and it'll be safe to up the boost down the road. rather than be worried about valve float.
I agree with you.

BTW, does anyone have experience with Manley Valve Springs and Retainers?
which one (Single or Dual spring) will be appropriate for GSC S2's ?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will always want to go faster.. and faster.. and faster... do the springs at the same time. Even if you have to wait till you save coin. I myself went with BC single springs and Ti retainers. The BC spring was MUCH beefier then the OEM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Without a doubt do springs with the S2's.

I did S1's over two years ago with stock 40k mile valvetrain and run 26psi and my tuner suspects valve float at 6,900+ RPM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for inputs!!!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:17 PM

Yes definitely get the springs and retainers upgraded.. better to be SAFE than sorry, plus as they say it's better to have more than you need than not have enough at all
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeh I would do springs and retainers, or at least springs. I'm going to get the Kiggly Beehive springs and retainers when I get my S2's.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

valve float is kind of like pregnency, its not something one supsects and is easily detectable on the dyno as a steep power drop at the top end. if the valves do not float at the boost/rpm level that one is running the engine at, then getting stiffer springs will only result in loss of power due to the engine being more difficult to spin.

additionally boost tapers off at the top end for most with stock turbo so that also helps avoid the float.

the better question to ask is: do setup running less than 25psi and not going past redline encountering valve float with the stock springs on these cams or are we recommending the added springs because they are a nice to have feature and may be needed down the line with a bigger turbo, etc?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think this thread should even still be going. The guy who makes the damn cams says you need them, so just get them and be done with it.

If I'm not mistaken, a cam with 11.2mm of lift still lifts the valve 11.2mm each time the cam goes through one full "duration", so the spring is still affected by the larger measurement of lift regardless of whether your at redline or not. Correct or incorrect?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:38 AM
Evolving Member

this is what happens to the intake valve specifically.
the spring has to apply enough pressure to shut the valve back after the cam presses it down. it has to do this fast enough before ignition occures and with enough force to push againt the incoming air from the turbo. if its not strong enough to do either, the valve will will not be closed during ignition and some of the exhaust air will try to go back into the intake. the higher the rpm and higher the boost pressure, the more spring pressure necessary to do this. its pretty simple really.

of course the cam vendor will suggest springs for optimal result which could be for someone running higher than typical rpm and boost but it may not be necessary for everyone, just saying. wont know till its tested.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your looking at going bigger in the future, easier to go ahead and do the springs/retainers while your doing the cam swap. Cheaper to go ahead and do it now if your paying a shop to do the work.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude
Without a doubt do springs with the S2's.

I did S1's over two years ago with stock 40k mile valvetrain and run 26psi and my tuner suspects valve float at 6,900+ RPM.

I understand every car will behave differently, but look at what Badev0 has done. He's been shifting at 8-8500 for 2+ years on Kelford 272's with stock valvetrain.... Unless you have weak springs somehow, I don't see float on your setup at that rpm level.

Hell, DSM guys use stock Evo springs and retainers and wrap motors to 9k
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

I read all previous posts in this threads, and I bought GSC beehive valve springs/titanium retainers with GSC S2's b/c I wanna do it right at the first so that i dont have to worry about valve floating later if I go with bigger turbo
Thanks all guys for answering my questions!!!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hachansoo0413
I read all previous posts in this threads, and I bought GSC beehive valve springs/titanium retainers with GSC S2's b/c I wanna do it right at the first so that i dont have to worry about valve floating later if I go with bigger turbo
Thanks all guys for answering my questions!!!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Listen,half these people on the forms will tell you to do bee hives,etc etc meanwhile,they never had these cams .They go by what they here and repeat themselves like parrots.The bottom line is,you need springs for less valve noise(false knock)and not to float a valve (sticking valves from weak springs).So yes,by a set of kigglys,manley or any other good name brand for added safety and do the the same time with the cams.Good luck.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:29 AM

well , im currently running HKS 272 's with Brian crower's valve spring and retainers....im thinking to put in GSC 2's and my rev limiter is upto 8500 rpm...what should i do? do i need to upgrade to better springs or are they good enough?

Saad

Quick Reply: questions: GSC S2 cams on stock valve springs