Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Going to the sno-drift!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to the sno-drift!!!!

well i am leaving for the sno-drift rally today if anybody else will be there lemme kno
well ttyl guys, i will have many pics
!!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like fun. Where's it at?

Here's me tooling around after last weekend's snow storm:

Old Jan 29, 2004, 08:22 AM

I worked Sno*Drift '02 as the press writer and it was awesome. The things I remembered are:

1. Being able to walk right up to the drivers and talk to them. R. Millen was there driving for Mitsubishi, and Subaru brought in their cars from England (I can't remember the driver; I wasn't into rally racing at the time).

2. Dodge was testing the SRT-4 prototype and I got to talk to the main engineer behind the project. The car looked awesome with a very cool body kit (that later got "rearranged" by a rock). The engineers said that the car was running about 280 hp at the time.

3. Someone had an EVO VII there. It was white and I could never get to see who the driver was. The car had a temporary license (some kind of paperwork taped to the back window), basically stating that it could remain in the U.S. for only 30 days or something. And yes, it looked great in person. No, I didn't touch it.

4. One of the "perks" of the job is that when the drivers were finally allowed to practice the first stage of the course, the press were allowed to ride shotgun in some of the cars. I was given the chance but, I didn't take the offer up (yes, I'm a moron but again, I wasn't into rallying at the time and honestly, I was scared).

5. Rally drivers/navigators are crazy. I saw how fast they went around corners and what not. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm not that brave.

6. Since I was wearing the special bracelet that said I would not sue SCCA if I got maimed or killed by a car, I was allowed to stand within 6 ft of the actual course and watch the cars fly by. At 60 mph. On snow. I always made sure to put a tree between me and the course though.

7. At the employee party at the end of the rally, they raffled off the keys to a Viper. My friend won it. The bad news: you only get the keys for a day.

Sno*Drift is fun. Much more fun if you know the drivers and the companies which I didn't at the time.

Inspectorlee
Old Jan 29, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by speedomodel
Sounds like fun. Where's it at?
If anyone in the Northeast wants to try their hand at the real thing, there's a winter driving school that will be held by the Ottawa chapter of the BMW Club of Canada on Sunday February 8th. I'll be there (as a student). It's basically an introductory rally school held in a huge parking lot covered in snow. They plow and pack down a circuit on the snow and create soft snow barriers. You get 1-to-1 instruction and learn how to left-foot brake, throttle steer, etc. so you can drift your way through the course. I think they also have skidpad exercises and other stuff (not sure).

Here's a link for more info about the event:
http://bmwccottawa.org/cgi-bin/yabb/...num=1070601008

Here's a link for some photos from last year:
http://www.bmwccottawa.org/gallery/w...ol_march1_2003

Emre
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Wow that would be badass to go to that Ottawa school, but it filled up already.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

yea it was great i have over 100 pics i will try to post some soon, mpore details to come