Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Towing Question???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing Question???

Hey guys I have what may seem like a stupid question but im unsure and have never done this before. I'm going to have to tow my car within the next few months to go get built/ tuned making about a 3- 3 1/2 hr trip. My one buddy said he would let me borrow his diesel F-250 to tow it. Now my questions are:

The car currently doesn't have a valve cover, brake calipers or wheels on it.

Now naturally I'm going to put the wheels back on but would it be okay to just throw the valve cover on and throw 5 or 6 bolts in just enough to start it and load it onto and off a trailor?

Also I don't feel like putting the calipers back on they were just rebuilt but the car is getting new pads/ rotors/ ss lines ect when it gets built is there any way to load onto a trailor without putting the calipers back in. Ie anyone know of anywhere in central pa that rents trailors with winches? Can it be pushed up? Any flatbed trailor rentals around central pa anyone know about?

So to recap is it okay to fire up twice with a few bolts holding the vc down and reusing the same gasket?

And how would you recommend loading the car onto a trailor with no pads/calipers?

Thanks in advance for your help much appreciated.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would not recommend starting the car with a valve cover half on... oil will probably spew everywhere. why dont you just play it safe an either bolt everything back on, OR just get a few strong people to push her up the trailer.. took me 3 people to get my car up the steep driveway i have, the car's not that heavy really.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Winch it up, i think you can get a uhaul trailer with a winch if not go buy one, you can get a hand cranked one for like 50 bucks9Electric ones are like 200-300 bucks. Mount it on your buddies trailer and be done with it lol.

Or push it, i have done it not that bad.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

So probably easiest to get a few people push it up, strap it down and call it a day haha
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

It should be fine with a few bolts in the valvecover, 30 sec of running won't make a mess.

If you still have rotors on the car you can use the park brake, it doesn't use the calipers.

Pushing cars sucks.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by projektevo9
So probably easiest to get a few people push it up, strap it down and call it a day haha
Just make sure you dont do it like this retard! Hahaha

Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Haha no intention on doing that the first indicator that something was wrong looked like they were trying to load into a standard uhaul meant for moving furniture Hahaha
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Get you a come a long and a chain or cable that will be strong enough to handle the weight. You can also use it to help strap down the car.

It will be slow going getting it on as you will only be able to pull it up about 6-8 feet at a time then you have to pull the cable back out. It can be loaded with one guy this way too. I have done many A extra chain can be used if the car has no brakes, or if the tranny is still in the car, first can be used. Just check it before you completely unhook it as a car that comes loose while loading usually has alot of speed in reverse when it rolls off.

Harbor Freight has them for around 20 bucks for a 4000lb.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-lb...ler-30329.html

Dont forget straps to tie the car down too. I tow alot of cars and they like to move around if not strapped down right. I use a criss cross pattern to pull it the other way from where I mount it and check it any time I stop just to make sure its tight and no issues come up.

Make sure to center the load on the trailer. If you put too much weight on the front of the trailer (depending on the truck your towing with) it can cause it to lift the front end and make it hard to break or even walk around. Load it to heavy in the rear and it makes the trailer tail happy. You have a large room of adjustment on most trailers and move it around until the truck does not squat real bad or seems higher. I also prefer to have the car forward to keep the weight up front.

Very important is to check your trailer tire pressure. This is the difference in making the trip with out issues, or sitting on the side of the road or pulling a car on a 3 wheeled trailer.

Got any more questions, just let me know.

Last edited by AWDBus; Jul 18, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks AWDbus very informative I may get ahold of you when I'm actually ready to tow if i have any other questions.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AWDBus
Get you a come a long and a chain or cable that will be strong enough to handle the weight. You can also use it to help strap down the car.

It will be slow going getting it on as you will only be able to pull it up about 6-8 feet at a time then you have to pull the cable back out. It can be loaded with one guy this way too. I have done many A extra chain can be used if the car has no brakes, or if the tranny is still in the car, first can be used. Just check it before you completely unhook it as a car that comes loose while loading usually has alot of speed in reverse when it rolls off.

Harbor Freight has them for around 20 bucks for a 4000lb.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-lb...ler-30329.html

Dont forget straps to tie the car down too. I tow alot of cars and they like to move around if not strapped down right. I use a criss cross pattern to pull it the other way from where I mount it and check it any time I stop just to make sure its tight and no issues come up.

Make sure to center the load on the trailer. If you put too much weight on the front of the trailer (depending on the truck your towing with) it can cause it to lift the front end and make it hard to break or even walk around. Load it to heavy in the rear and it makes the trailer tail happy. You have a large room of adjustment on most trailers and move it around until the truck does not squat real bad or seems higher. I also prefer to have the car forward to keep the weight up front.

Very important is to check your trailer tire pressure. This is the difference in making the trip with out issues, or sitting on the side of the road or pulling a car on a 3 wheeled trailer.

Got any more questions, just let me know.

Come along ftw
Thats what I used to load my car up on the trailer while it was inop. Its really slow but one person can load it up on the trailer as well. For the price its a great solution.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone have any type of suggestions on straps I should use to hold down ill have at least one other friend helping me. Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

get some husky tie down straps like these:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=155289_0_0_

Any trailer store or auto store should be able to help you!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by projektevo9
Anyone have any type of suggestions on straps I should use to hold down ill have at least one other friend helping me. Thanks

I personally went to Home Depot. They had some REALLY beefy straps, I forgot what specs were but I just made sure and got the heaviest duty ones they had. One piece of advise, make sure and check the straps EVERYTIME you pull over at a rest stop, gas station, etc. I had one on the uhaul trailer that covers over the wheel start to come loose a bit. Luckily I caught it in time.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by extreme-speed
get some husky tie down straps like these:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=155289_0_0_

any trailer store or auto store should be able to help you!
+1
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

I use 2 10k straps from walmart for the rear. I use a Comealong and a chain for the front. Dont pull on any control arms on the front or rear arms as you can bend them.

Quick Reply: Towing Question???