Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Do you own a JDM Rear Bumper or USDM Rear Bumper
I own a JDM Rear Bumper
52.21%
I own a USDM Rear Bumper
47.79%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Do you own a JDM Rear bumper or USDM Rear Bumper?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
If you want to do it right, don't forget the additional hardware: http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/cart/...8*2+MS470075*3........................................and mounting components: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...l#post10193145
Is the extra attachment paraphenalia referenced above, needed if going from a JDM VIII bumper to the JDM IX bumper? Or, is it only required if going from a USDM bumper to the JDM IX bumper?

My VIII RS has a JDM VIII bumper which is nicer than its USDM VIII counterpart. However, the JDM IX bumper is nicer still than the JDM VIII piece.

Last edited by sparky; Jul 20, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM of course.

Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:02 PM

Gg jdm
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any of you guys living in parts of the world where the JDM rear is stock ever want to put a USDM rear on your EVO? I've always been curious if guys in Japan, UK, Australia, etc. want a USDM rear bumper and go through all the trouble to get one lol.

I remember a thread where a guy in the UK wanted to trade his JDM tails and headlights for USDM ones because they were rare where he was from. Pretty funny hearing that if you're in North America and pay double for the exact opposite lol.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:01 PM

I happy to say, I'm glad one of the only mods that came with my stock car was a JDM rear bumper
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by reboundicon
Any of you guys living in parts of the world where the JDM rear is stock ever want to put a USDM rear on your EVO? I've always been curious if guys in Japan, UK, Australia, etc. want a USDM rear bumper and go through all the trouble to get one lol.

I remember a thread where a guy in the UK wanted to trade his JDM tails and headlights for USDM ones because they were rare where he was from. Pretty funny hearing that if you're in North America and pay double for the exact opposite lol.
I would get a set of headlights if I wasn't pouring all my money into my other car. The tail lights for the sedan guys maybe. Not the bumper though, definitely not. The cost of the bumper plus shipping would be rather large for a....not so great looking bumper. It almost looks like they were getting close to a deadline and rushed through the USDM rear bumper, it just looks kinda bland. I have heard of some people putting the fogs (?) from the rear bumper on theirs.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

My 2nd go around with the JDM rear bumper

Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:00 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
USDM bumper to the JDM IX bumper
As far as I know. I have no idea what hardware is needed when going from an VIII to a IX.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

USDM, although if the need for a new rear bumper arises, it will be JDM
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
USDM FTW! we are not in japan...im not going to act like we are.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
JDM of course.

Nice wagon! The Evo wagon is the only wagon I have ever seen that I would love to own/drive!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoVIIIxoxo
USDM FTW! we are not in japan...im not going to act like we are.
Imo the usdm bumper looks terrible compared to the jdm one.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
I would get a set of headlights if I wasn't pouring all my money into my other car. The tail lights for the sedan guys maybe. Not the bumper though, definitely not. The cost of the bumper plus shipping would be rather large for a....not so great looking bumper. It almost looks like they were getting close to a deadline and rushed through the USDM rear bumper, it just looks kinda bland. I have heard of some people putting the fogs (?) from the rear bumper on theirs.
I think the USDM rear was made to flow with the Evo 8 front bumper. If you look at the lines they are similar with the front bumper and rear on the 8's. It seems like they just went with the design because it sort of flowed with the lines on the front and was able to hold the bigger crash beam.

The same holds true to a lot of other bumpers/body parts on other cars. Most often the USDM counterparts for any car look a lot crappier than what the car looks like in Japan. Evo, Integra, Rsx, ft86, brz, etc.

Great looking wagon, btw. Always wanted to see one in real life.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
So there is no benefit to the JDM rear other than looks? I thought being that is seems to have more ground clearance than the usdm one and is slightly smaller in size, it would create less of a drag effect and provide a slight weight savings all at the same time. With those benefits the car should be a little faster right, or am I wrong?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
So there is no benefit to the JDM rear other than looks? I thought being that is seems to have more ground clearance than the usdm one and is slightly smaller in size, it would create less of a drag effect and provide a slight weight savings all at the same time. With those benefits the car should be a little faster right, or am I wrong?
according to the engineers that designed the jdm evo 9, in the Best Motoring video, there is no effect haha. They said it was all for looks

Quick Reply: Do you own a JDM Rear bumper or USDM Rear Bumper?