Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How to clean out inter cooler?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pacent
I've used gasoline in my previous cars.
Correct, all these guys complaining about residue, but I'm not sure if they've forgotten the whole reason intercooler is being cleaned is because it has oil in it. Acetone is not going to evaporate the oil from the intercooler but it will allow it to spill out of the side of the outlet just the same as gasoline. If we're talking about welding aluminum, obviously acetone would be a great choice for aluminum, but as a solvent, gasoline will work just fine and is readily available
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
rubbing alcohol works well also and has the same properties, cuts oil, evaporates and is cheap and in liquid not spray form.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Anarchy99
Correct, all these guys complaining about residue, but I'm not sure if they've forgotten the whole reason intercooler is being cleaned is because it has oil in it. Acetone is not going to evaporate the oil from the intercooler but it will allow it to spill out of the side of the outlet just the same as gasoline. If we're talking about welding aluminum, obviously acetone would be a great choice for aluminum, but as a solvent, gasoline will work just fine and is readily available
Why would you clean oil from a intercooler with a liquid that is derivetive of oil? Why is Acetone used to clean gas tanks instead of gasoline?? Its just not logical. Filling the intercooler with a good amout of acetone is cheap and easily avaiable at Homedepot. Fill it shake it really well and empty
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 9evolution
Why would you clean oil from a intercooler with a liquid that is derivetive of oil?
How do you think Acetone is made?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

^ Your right not only did I fail chemistry and my post i am also illogical

Last edited by 9evolution; Jul 20, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
Yea we use aceton at work so that stuff evaporates totally with no residue and of course brake clean an carb cleaner is like that. The gas is kinda bad and it does have trace amounts of water and would leave residue. Thanks for ideas.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9evolution
Why would you clean oil from a intercooler with a liquid that is derivetive of oil? Why is Acetone used to clean gas tanks instead of gasoline??
For the same reason that e85 ethanol users switch back to gasoline from time to time to clean out their fuel system of the black tar as the gasoline acts as a solvent to wash it away
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:56 PM

Same hear I used Brake cleaner and denatured alcohol to clean my intercooler along with anything else with carbon or oil build up !
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Very good point 9evolution
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
Very good point 9evolution
Wow...

One gallon of acetone: 16.95

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Last I checked, a gallon of premium around here is around 4 bucks.

And for others who also failed chemistry in addition to 4th grade math...acetone is also derived from petroleum products:

Straight from wiki:

Acetone is produced directly or indirectly from propylene. Approximately 83 % of acetone is produced via the cumene process,[8] as a result, acetone production is tied to phenol production. In the cumene process, benzene is alkylated with propylene to produce cumene, which is oxidized by air to produce phenol and acetone

Propene, also known as propylene or methylethylene, is an unsaturated organic compound having the chemical formula C3H6. Propene is produced from fossil fuelspetroleum, natural gas, and, to a much lesser extent, coal. Propene is a byproduct of oil refining and natural gas processing.

Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yogurt is organic
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake clean only washes the oil to to side and doesn't really break it up that well. The side you spray the brake clean into is clean, but the residue is stuck in the corners of the intercooler.

The best way is hot tanked through a parts cleaner, or flushed out with a hot water and solvent mixture.

Ever mopped a greasy shop floor with solvent/hot water? And brake cleaned the same floor? You'll understand what I'm saying.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pacent
Wow...

One gallon of acetone: 16.95

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Last I checked, a gallon of premium around here is around 4 bucks.

And for others who also failed chemistry in addition to 4th grade math...acetone is also derived from petroleum products:

Straight from wiki:

Acetone is produced directly or indirectly from propylene. Approximately 83 % of acetone is produced via the cumene process,[8] as a result, acetone production is tied to phenol production. In the cumene process, benzene is alkylated with propylene to produce cumene, which is oxidized by air to produce phenol and acetone

Propene, also known as propylene or methylethylene, is an unsaturated organic compound having the chemical formula C3H6. Propene is produced from fossil fuelspetroleum, natural gas, and, to a much lesser extent, coal. Propene is a byproduct of oil refining and natural gas processing.

I sucked in math too. But when i pay 40bucks round trip to get into nyc with out food and have to feed a meter 15bucks every 3 hrs. Dropping under 20 bucks is really cheap. There is no argument from me you are 100% correct where acetone comes from. It refining process is a bit different from fuel, I still maintain that gasoline is not the optimal agent to get the job done.