Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

heaviest rs ever?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012 | 03:24 PM
EvoM Guru

heaviest rs ever?

Ok so a while ago I decided to weigh my rs. Curb weight as it sat was 3220 with a full tank of gas. I said there is no way where did all the weight come from. Well today I figured I would go weigh the car again at a scrap yard being it is free. So I pulled on the scale stopped completely looked at the scale 3430 with me in the car and a full tank of gas. So I said well I weigh 210 so that brings it back down to 3220. Now being an 05 rs how the hell is my car so heavy. Well for one I do not now how they get the weights of the cars being no fluids, no gas no nothing or what. But I do have some things that did add weight. My nto3's are a 255 40 tire, so that little bit adds some I'm sure, I added to jbl git's up front and a JL audio amp in the back with proper wire. Ok so theres a little more weight. Other then that my car has no other mods to take away or add weight. So with all this said is my car really that heavy or is it just me? One thing i did think of is I did have my spare tire and jack and whatever else in the back as well. So there is some more weight.

Last edited by CurseDSM; Jul 19, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012 | 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

My SSL tiped in a 3240 (no spare or jack) before I started it's diet.
Old Jul 19, 2012 | 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

I surely hope mine doesnt weigh near that
Old Jul 19, 2012 | 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

my IX RS weighs 3259 with just over a 1/2 tank of gas and with me in it. I weigh 185lbs and the 6 gallons to make the tank full would weigh 40ish pounds. so my car weights 3114lbs "street ready". i have JDM rear bumper with crash beam removed and all the spare tire stuff and the back seat removed as well when i weighed the car. I also have a mini battery so id say your car seems about normal.
Old Jul 19, 2012 | 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

My mr weighed 3200 without me inside before I started losing it lol now it weighs a little over 3000 at track. 3050 DD there's alot you can remove but that seems high for an rs!!!
Old Jul 19, 2012 | 04:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by thee stig
my IX RS weighs 3259 with just over a 1/2 tank of gas and with me in it. I weigh 185lbs and the 6 gallons to make the tank full would weigh 40ish pounds. so my car weights 3114lbs "street ready". i have JDM rear bumper with crash beam removed and all the spare tire stuff and the back seat removed as well when i weighed the car. I also have a mini battery so id say your car seems about normal.
I have the rear crash beam, no front crash beam being it didn't come with the car, I also run a full battery, and i have some stuff that is lighter such as exhasut etc. I do have spare tire, jack and tool in the car. I have all emissions. I mean give or take I can see it weighing a little more then 3100 lbs. I mean my fat *** is 210, a full tank of e85 weighs Idk but I think I will have to do some math here someone check my math here

1 gallon of gasoline equals 5.8 to 6.5 lbs
1 gallon of ethanol equals 6.59 lbs.

The weight of ethanol is approximentally:

7.46 lbs to 7.565

So if we use the least weight that would be 5.8 * .85= 4.93 lbs of gas and 15% of ethanol would be 4.46 * .15=.9885 so if we add those 4.93+.9885 we get 5.9185 lbs per 1 gallon of gas. So 12 gallons of gas would end up being 71.022 lbs for e85.

Wow I feel like I spent way to much brain power thinking this out but its important.

So if my car is 3220 with a full tank of gas that means the car weighs 3148 with an empty gas tank which sounds more like what it should be. So with this said is it safe to say all the weights we see for our cars are with an empty gas tank? And if so 3220 for basically a full weight evo seems right correct?
Old Jul 19, 2012 | 04:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Anarchy99
I surely hope mine doesnt weigh near that
yeah no kidding right. You can understand why I am kinda sweating this hahaha.
Old Jul 19, 2012 | 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

my MR weighs about 3220 with a little more than half a tank of fuel. That was when my only weight mods were the spare tire and jack.......now I've done a bit more. All I can say.... is the evo is heavy no matter how you slice it. There is a great thread on weight savings mod in the how to section I believe.
Old Jul 19, 2012 | 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

my rs weighs just under 3100 pounds without me in it and full tank of gas..i removed extra tire, crash beam, cf trunk/hood, exhaust, gram lights, all in all its pretty stock iuno why your rs weighs so much
Old Jul 19, 2012 | 04:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EvoVIIIxoxo
my rs weighs just under 3100 pounds without me in it and full tank of gas..i removed extra tire, crash beam, cf trunk/hood, exhaust, gram lights, all in all its pretty stock iuno why your rs weighs so much
yeah this is pissing me off where did you get yours weighed? Like I said my car is pretty much full weight except for added a radio and speakers, my meth tank is half full and thats it. That is no where near the added weight. Oh wait yoru from Canada yours is weight in kilo's hahaha.
Old Jul 19, 2012 | 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Normally, when a vehicle is registered at curb weight it only has like 0.5-2gal of fuel, it will have the washer fluid filled though. Secondly, I'd be curious of the accuracy of the scales you are using. A scrap yard scale isn't necessarily going to be accurate down to the pound as its really only measuring before and after delta weights so it being accurate to 3200 or 3240 lbs won't matter as its calibrated.

Just something to think about. Curious what my MR weighs, probably should go do it since I have access to corner weights specific for auto's.
Old Jul 20, 2012 | 02:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Here is the thing though. The first time I went to a Pilot truck stop and had it weighed. Then yesterday the scrap yard has one of those drive on scales so I just drove on it stopped long enough to get a weight and drove off it. They both came up with the same weight which makes me wonder. A truck stop scale has to be accurate due to the loads and the strict rules and what nots for trucks. So either way you look at it I am still in the 3200 lb range. Now if as I stated if the cars are in fact weighed without gas, thats an extra 71 lbs off the weight so that would make more since.
Old Jul 20, 2012 | 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

Like others have said the Evo is a heavy car. You can tell how it goes through pads and tires compared to sub 3000lb cars. Price we pay for AWD I guess.
Old Jul 20, 2012 | 04:05 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

FWIW, My IX SE weighed 3259lbs with 1-2gal short of a full tank. Dropped some weight from stock (exhaust, rotors, tires, spare) and added some weight (FMIC, anti-swaybars, and 12lbs of audio gear) so it's about even.
Old Jul 20, 2012 | 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Here is the thing though. The first time I went to a Pilot truck stop and had it weighed. Then yesterday the scrap yard has one of those drive on scales so I just drove on it stopped long enough to get a weight and drove off it. They both came up with the same weight which makes me wonder. A truck stop scale has to be accurate due to the loads and the strict rules and what nots for trucks. So either way you look at it I am still in the 3200 lb range. Now if as I stated if the cars are in fact weighed without gas, thats an extra 71 lbs off the weight so that would make more since.
That being said, even for trucks they will not be accurate in the sense to low precise weight, that type of scale for the money isn't needed.

For example trucks are heavy, so why would you only need to measure 3000lbs accurately? Truck regulations are in the 10,000's of lbs, so why would you need something within a 100lbs limit? That is the type of difference for scales, accurate scales cost a lot more money when that type of accuracy just isn't needed. Food for thought

Either way, I bet its still close within a 100lbs no doubt. (if not 50)

Quick Reply: heaviest rs ever?