Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

CAR DOESNT START... sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CAR DOESNT START... sometimes...

Ive been having this problem for a little while and its starting to get very very annoying as its been getting progressively worse.

When I turn my key, its a 50/50 chance that my engine turns over. The times when it doesn't, I have to click the key over like 20+ times in order for the starter to "catch," then it fires up fine.

The connection to the starter itself is very solid. I took it off, cleaned it, even bent the metal piece the clip slides on so it stays solid - no moving.

When it does start it fires right up. I can't understand it. A friend said its possibly the solenoid inside the starter that is going out?

Have you guys experienced this?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about the connections from the battery cables to the battery. If those connections become loose, your symptoms could take place.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

I once had a problem related to not being able to start. turned out i had somehow bent the switch that closes when the clutch pedal is pushed all the way down to start the car. so when i depressed the clutch pedal it would not make contanct with the litle button. I ended up disconnecting it and now my car can start everytime without depressing the clutch pedal. anyways hope this helps.

Also had a similar problem whe my cam angle sensor had been damaged (cracked ). that will also cause issues.

If your not getting a CEL its something mecanical that is not related to an important sensor. Good luck with your search. let us know what you find.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

literally, just fixed this problem. trust me this will continue to progress until it won't start. for me it was the plastic part at the end of the ignition cylinder. pull apart your steering column ( 3 screws ) and take out the piece and see if its cracked / worn down.

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

Is there battery voltage at the starter solenoid while holding the ignition switch in the start position?
Forums generally can't fix cars man
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoFredo
I once had a problem related to not being able to start. turned out i had somehow bent the switch that closes when the clutch pedal is pushed all the way down to start the car. so when i depressed the clutch pedal it would not make contanct with the litle button. I ended up disconnecting it and now my car can start everytime without depressing the clutch pedal. anyways hope this helps.

Also had a similar problem whe my cam angle sensor had been damaged (cracked ). that will also cause issues.

If your not getting a CEL its something mecanical that is not related to an important sensor. Good luck with your search. let us know what you find.
sounds like this
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like some simple diag needs to be done before couch mechanics throw parts around.
All he needs is a multimeter and a pal.
If voltage is present (small wire at starter) and it doesn't turn, bam bad starter which is most likely in this case.
If there is no voltage, then begin to look at the clutch switch, or ignition switch. Also make sure the immobilizer is not malfunctioning
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

I have money on it being the solenoid in the starter. i went through this problem. next time it does this, have someone turn key clutch in (IN NEUTRAL, dont get yourself ran over) and wiggle the accessory wire on the starter and see if it kicks over.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

the immobilizer is disabled

the car makes a relay click as if something isn't letting it get to the starter. I have a multimeter, ill go ahead and check if the starter gets voltage...

I used to fix this by wiggling the plug on the starter, but I have since made the connection very, very solid. It won't budge anymore.

I'll try the clutch switch and the ignition cylinder as well. Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

The enginr would still turn over but wouldn't start if it were immobilizer
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
OK.... JUST HAD THIS PROBLEM...

Same 50/50 chance.... would turn the key, the solonoid would click. lights would dim, and some times it would start, other times, NOTHING...

Checked all the connections, Everything was good.

Turns out it was my starter brushes. I had my starter rebuilt, and it fires up like a champ.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Im having the same issue, I replaced my starter and battery but it happens randomly.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
god are all eve's plague'd with this? i fixed this once by removing the aftermarket's alarm immobilizer. now it just started again so now i have no clue what is going on. i have an new ignition switch and starter from the last time i had this issue. WIll diag when i get my diff back in the car.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem recently and it was the front ground wire being disconnected! it lies right under the strut bar and is like 6 inches long make sure its connected properly!!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had this issue for 3 years now and only in the summer! It seems to me evo 8-9 has this issue. I still haven't fixed mine. I have an aftermarket ground kit that was already in the car when I bought it. Could this be my issue? Please update if you find a fix, this is becoming painful in the hot AZ heat!

Quick Reply: CAR DOESNT START... sometimes...