Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Typical Evo issues.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typical Evo issues.

Now I know this isn't the introduction section, but I do have a question. I'm new to Evo's for the most part. I just bought my first one about 3 weeks ago and I've fell in love. I've been an S-chassis person my whole, owning multiple S13's and a couple S14's, and somehow I managed to have an SRT-4 in there somehow (I know, don't judge me). My last car was a 97 Kouki S14. I had a BPU SR20 I built, full suspension, SSR Professors, yada yada yada. Anyways, I sold that a year ago and have been driving a little Colorado until about 3 weeks ago, when I found the cleanest, most untouched, unmolested 05 Evo VIII GSR SSL (black) I'd ever personally laid eyes on, so I bought it. It even has a 100+ page service record book from the previous owner. My question is: What are typical problems common with Evo's? I know about the MR's having 3rd gear issues. But what about GSR's? I've done some searching but I can't seem to find a list or a thread anywhere with usual things that occur. I could sit here and tell you everything you'll ever expect with a 240, but with an Evo, I'm lost in the sauce. If anyone know's of a thread, or can name them off head here it would be great. I have experienced NO problems with my car thus far other than sqeaky rotors, so I would like to know what to look forward to. Thanks!

-Cliff (sorry for the book lol)
Old Aug 2, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the club man. If you're leaving it stock, you shouldn't have to deal with many issues. These cars do tend to have boost leaks even at stock boost pressure levels. So I would start with a boost leak test. There are a bunch of threads on here about doing them and the common leak points. But specifically check the throttle body shaft seals (almost a guarantee they'll leak). You can buy upgraded ones from STM or Mil.Spec. Also check the injector seals for boost leaks. And there are a bunch of EGR/vacuum/boost lines behind the motor that like to pop off. I zip-tied all of them in place. Same with the vacuum lines that go to the wastegate actuator. Any of those rubber lines that aren't secured with a clamp, I zip-tied. And I can't remember if the '05s have the plastic blow off/diverter valve but they usually leak. The IXs have a metal valve that a lot of the VIII guys upgrade to, but mine even leaked past 20psi. The Synapse compact valve is a good aftermarket option (or the APS valve if you can find a used one since they stopped making them). Mine just has basic bolt ons and a tune, and I'm very happy with it. I can't think of anything else right now; I hope that helps!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
AC clutch will probably need to be re-shimmed lol
So simple but typical it seems
Old Aug 2, 2012, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If kept near stock and not beat on - you might as well sell your tools.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
If kept near stock and not beat on - you might as well sell your tools.
I like this comment
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pretty accurate, actually. Had mine for a few years now and the only issue I've had was the the LF wheel bearing going, easy fix. Follow the maintenance schedules religiously, listen to what the graybeards tell you on fluid usage, and enjoy.

For the record, yes, the five-speed cars do have synchro issues as well.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SOB is a gas guzzler.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nirvancol
And there are a bunch of EGR/vacuum/boost lines behind the motor that like to pop off.
Yes sir this happened to me a bunch of times when I first bought mine I was so confused, but luckily found it was just a vacuum line. So I ziptied all of them up and had no problems since.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the info guys. As far as power goals I'm looking to try and make around 320-330whp reliably. From what I understand that's fairly easy to achieve. As for parts, I'm looking at a full turbo back, test pipe, U&L FMIC piping with intake, walbro, and a BOV. Now I know for some reason Evo don't vent to atmosphere very well, I'll have to do some more research into that. I don't really understand the sensitivity with the 4g63, but I suppose I better start learning it! With my SR20, I was running FMIC, turbo back, intake, Greddy Type S bov, walbro, HKS EVC, Megan manifold, and a stock T25 with a rebuilt motor (ARP main and head studs, cometic head gasket, everything else new stock parts). Normal things for a 240. I was running a Blitz tuned ECU and my car ran flawlessly. There was none of this "you need a re-tune for every new part you throw on" BS lol. As for the usual boost leaks, I'll do a check as soon as possible, and I'll go ahead and start clamping all the vacuum lines.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car ran VTA bov on stock ecu for a long time. Hks ssqv to boot! Gasp
With kelford 272 cams