Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clutch Install experience on an EVO IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Install experience on an EVO IX MR

I just got done installing the a clutch install in my IX MR... what a *****. Granted, we did not have a lift, but literally had every other tool available in the Snap-On, GearWrench, and Craftsman lineup. I followed the EVOmoto guide, and I'd love to hear from someone that does not have high RPM lockout on the IX 6sp tranny and did NOT drop the subframe crossmember that holds the steering rack (that was not in the instructions)

While we got the tranny down (looking back I am not sure how it even got down, other than massive amounts of prying force combined with gravity), there was no way it was going back up that way, without totally messing up the new clutch with tons of contact from different parts of the tranny housing/shafts from different angles.

If you have a 5sp, I don't want to hear it, that is a different situation all together. At the end of the day, none of my shop buddies have seen a clutch job like this. And yes, getting the subframe back on is a ***** with the tranny and transfer case in the way, but just takes 2 hours of patience and good tools (because lots of these bolts that need to be torqued down can't be hit wit traditional methods) ... and sometimes the best thing you can do is a flex head gear wrench. Sometimes you need to backup, because you realize there is an undocumented order to doing this -- i.e. installing the subframe because you realize the bottom rear motor mount bracket needs to be above the power steering rack before the subframe is raised, otherwise you cannot get a bolt in that hits underneath that bracket... little **** that is easy to overlook that costs you time).

Anyway... I hope this Competition Clutch lasts a while!
eb

Last edited by ball7068; Aug 5, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeaaa....thats def why I'd rather pay 500-600 bucks for a professional to do it for me while i relax lol
Old Aug 5, 2012, 08:15 PM

I'm just not convinced about the quality of work performed! They struggle with the same things... you just don't get to see them beating the hell out of your new clutch just trying to get it into somewhat of a position where they can stab the input shaft of the tranny into it (banging all over the wedge collar, fingers, etc, in the process) I guess what you don't know doesn't hurt you ... and I guess if everything functions 100% after you take your car to a shop, you don't care... after this job, I know why there is high RPM lockout ... its gotta be the installer just rushing or getting careless.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 08:19 PM

I don't have high rpm lockout, and I haven't noticed it on any of the 6spds I have done. Also I would say the adjustments to the clutch pedal are important. I have a lift so its easier, but still a pain. I do not drop the subframe for what its worth, I just position it on a trans jack and roll it into the car w/o hitting the collar. I do agree the 5 speed seems a little easier.