Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Installed factory stock boost solenoid still running 10 psi ( please read )

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Installed factory stock boost solenoid still running 10 psi ( please read )

I got my 03' EVO GSR about a week ago now. The guy before me had a Greddy Profec electronic boost controller hooked up.I didn't want it on the car even though it was running stock boost ( 19 PSI ) ish, from what I have found. SO I took it out and connected the wastegate nipple to the inetrcooler pipe nipple (the source of the boost) and I was running 10-11 PSI until my factory solenoid came in.

I ordered a low mileage factory boost solenoid and hooked it up today, even put it in the stock location, I looked under the hood at the vacuum diagram and it is pretty easy, one line from the solenoid to the intake ( accordion hose ) and the other "T' ed into the waste gate actuator/ intercooler line.

I am thankful about my check engine light going away, It was getting no my nerves because it was not a huge deal, the computer must feel it is.

I am still running about 10-11 PSI, that is what my gauge still says.. : \ I guess I wonder what is going on, the solenoid must be working if the CEL is off? I even tried connecting the lines differently in case I didn't read the diagram correctly?

Any input would greatly be appreciated. I like doing things correctly, and I want the car running factory boost, nothing more.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
did you get factory vac lines for the solenoid or make your own?

the stock lines have restrictor pills in them, without those i think that will cause your issue
Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
did you get factory vac lines for the solenoid or make your own?

the stock lines have restrictor pills in them, without those i think that will cause your issue
Thanks for the response, and yes I did use my own lines.. these pills, where are they located, and also is there anyway to purchase something of their equivalent?

If that is the issue I will have to find something or those lines to work.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

or I could just find a used set
Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You may want to look at other aftermarket solenoids--a lot of folks offer them for around 100.00 or so-- gm 3 port, lancer shop likely has a choice as well. Then get a tune to the boost level you want using the stock ecu and that will solve all your problems. Sell the greddy to pay for the new part and part of the tune, if not all of it.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
this is confusing, if it has a boost controller set at factory boost and YOU want to run it at factory boost. isnt it obvious to just leave it? its tuned already.

now u unhooked it and have the factory solenoid your going to need the factory restrictor pills. AND a retune.

but i dont think thats your problem. if u ran the wga line to the jpipe outlet line you should be running wastegate actuator spring pressure and your not. so i would look into that first. add preload to the wastegate actuator arm and try.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem is he is not using the factory lines ( with pills inside)
Buy them from a dealership, they shouldn't be too much, and then you just hook them the way the diagram says and everything will be fine.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like limp mode? is your maf sensor on the intake connected properly??
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

I ordered the lines from Mitsubishi $26.88 + I wanted them next day air so it was $ 41.00, I uses my lines, so this will fix the issue. My check engine light is gone; which is great, because I hate looking at that all the damn time.

I will keep everyone updated, also for limp mode haha no it is not limp mode..
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You do realize you could have just plugged in the factory solenoid and left the Greddy controlling boost effectively eliminating your CEL problem while not having to spend additional money/time to get it to run the 19psi that you want.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Yah I do realize that ^. Thanks. But I didn't want that boost controller.

Anyhow, little update. The line set I bought and hooked up didn't come to small lines that go to the solenoid first, one that leads from the "T" to the solenoid actually has a small " pill " in it, so I I am glad I got that two small hoses with the solenoid. I'll get pics up soon.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Alright, pics will be up in the morning, I was able to make 15 lbs of boost it drips to about 14.5 psi now at around 6000 rpms.

I did have the CEL come back on which I thought was funny I will check and see what it is in the morning.