Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

worst dyno day ever

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miles on the car?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KaRboN
You can get a BB 6262,or JB 6262 for pretty cheap now a day's..I wouldn't waste money on a stock turbo if it needs to be replaced..
Cheaper to get a stock frame turbo then by a big boy setup.

You could get a BBK or EF turbo for that. What FP Green's going for?

What is your aversion to going with a used Evo IX turbo?

I hope the 2k was for a brand new IX?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KaRboN
You can get a BB 6262,or JB 6262 for pretty cheap now a day's..I wouldn't waste money on a stock turbo if it needs to be replaced..
Not sure if I would be directing a youngster like the OP towards that kind of hardware yet. Kid hasn't been driving for 2 years yet.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Craig King
Not sure if I would be directing a youngster like the OP towards that kind of hardware yet. Kid hasn't been driving for 2 years yet.
id get a brand new 9 turbo price would include prossesional install

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; Aug 9, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Miles on the car?
72,xxx
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

That's true

Smurfzilla,I agree.. But 95 percent of the time,People upgrade from stock turbo to something with more potential..I would rather buy 1 turbo then 2 .
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i have a IX turbo for sale and every thing you'll need to install it for 400$ LMK. PM me. i also have a factory VIII turbo as well if you want that 300$.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

For 2 grand you can get a great 4-500 whp turbo setup from people here on the forum. Tell the shop to do boost leak test and take it from there. Someone on here is selling a brand new hta green for 1500. Just do some research
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by itsmrrizz2you
For 2 grand you can get a great 4-500 whp turbo setup from people here on the forum. Tell the shop to do boost leak test and take it from there. Someone on here is selling a brand new hta green for 1500. Just do some research
Well i need to see if its the turbo first hes going to look into it tomorrow it may be something stupid like something stuck in the intercooler pipe
Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Was it bogging at all or just not pushing out power?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

to the op hey man I would defiantly look into maybe Map series turbos i think the EF2 if your going to spend that much money you might as well get something with a little more uph for the long run i just got the Ef3 for a little more then that with all the bells and whistles but its just my 2 cents good luck man, and defiantly hope you find out whats fully worng before something else breaks good luck
Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Or try a different shop.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sucks man, a rough day at the dyno is never any fun. Hope it all works out.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

you should try a pull with no cat back on after the test pipe, my friends car's muffler was collapsed and was restricting power. try and check the actuall muffler. also maybe replace vaccume lines for the turbo because they might be clogged, just another thing to look at.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Whooaaa. Wait a minute guys. I understand the OP did not mean to take a shot at us, but as usual, the forum is starting drama. Lets set the record straight before this turns into a whole miscommunication.

The car came in for a tune. It is a typical Stg2 EVO 8 with HKS 272 cams. No issues there. We did a smoke(boost leak) test the minute he came in. Checks out OK. I look it over and see the OP did not have his boost controller hooked up, no problem. Hooked it up and on the dyno she goes./ this car came in with a tune from another shop and a Tephra V7 ROM.

First pull at 21 PSI and we are under 200 HP. I immeadiately start trouble shooting. Car feels like it has a small silencer in the tailpipe and is restricting air/exhaust flow. I suggest we look at the cat.

We get the Cat off and the Perrin cat pipe has failed. The substrate is flopping around the pipe and bits pouring out. I show the OP and offer to sve him cash by making a test pipe from stock stainless and his Perrin unit. No problem. I explained this can be the entire issue or a part of it. No problem

Get it on the dyno and it is still down on power. We suggest a Comp test. Customer sdaid he did one previously, but we should go ahead and do it. No problem. Comp comes out good.

I told him it may be the turbo, but we can go through the entire system(turbo to throttle body) and then let him know what we find. ie. a possible obstruction.

I sit in the office and show him various turbo options out there and also tell him he can get a used one on the forum, but he does not want to. Again, no problem there. I told him we will go over the car with a fine tooth comb and call him in the morning BEFORE ordering any parts.

So.... It is not the tune. We did not rip him off. We actually discounted the boost leak test, as we always do if no leak is found. We saved him money on the test pipe. We also told him he was free to buy his parts with us or any vendor. So I think this is just a little premature. We do not know 100% yet what is causing the low power, but we are diligently working on it and should have a solution tomorrow. He was happy(as best you can be with car issues) after he left and we will figure out the actual cause first thing tomorrow.

John

Last edited by AkumaMotorsport; Aug 9, 2012 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: worst dyno day ever