Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

worst dyno day ever

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AkumaMotorsport
Whooaaa. Wait a minute guys. I understand the OP did not mean to take a shot at us, but as usual, the forum is starting drama. Lets set the record straight before this turns into a whole miscommunication.

The car came in for a tune. It is a typical Stg2 EVO 8 with HKS 272 cams. No issues there. We did a smoke(boost leak) test the minute he came in. Checks out OK. I look it over and see the OP did not have his boost controller hooked up, no problem. Hooked it up and on the dyno she goes./ this car came in with a tune from another shop and a Tephra V7 ROM.

First pull at 21 PSI and we are under 200 HP. I immeadiately start trouble shooting. Car feels like it has a small silencer in the tailpipe and is restricting air/exhaust flow. I suggest we look at the cat.

We get the Cat off and the Perrin cat pipe has failed. The substrate is flopping around the pipe and bits pouring out. I show the OP and offer to sve him cash by making a test pipe from stock stainless and his Perrin unit. No problem. I explained this can be the entire issue or a part of it. No problem

Get it on the dyno and it is still down on power. We suggest a Comp test. Customer sdaid he did one previously, but we should go ahead and do it. No problem. Comp comes out good.

I told him it may be the turbo, but we can go through the entire system(turbo to throttle body) and then let him know what we find. ie. a possible obstruction.

I sit in the office and show him various turbo options out there and also tell him he can get a used one on the forum, but he does not want to. Again, no problem there. I told him we will go over the car with a fine tooth comb and call him in the morning BEFORE ordering any parts.

SO. It is not the tune. We did not rip him off. He was happy(as best you can be with car issues) after he left and we will figure out the actual cause first thing tomorrow.

John
Did not mean to start the thread like that john sorry just call me tomorrow and let me know whats wrong, your service was good and you took time with my car and i appreciate that

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; Aug 9, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zerofour1223
Was it bogging at all or just not pushing out power?
i dont believe it was bogging just making no power, it sounded strong on the dyno from behind.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

just to clear things up, i am not bashing the shop in anyway im simply explaining how my day went. i am open to any advice anyone has to give me. The facility happens to be very nice and the workers are cool.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

this is just weird but im sure your tuner will have yea all figured out soon man good luck
Old Aug 9, 2012, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Whooaaa. Wait a minute guys. I understand the OP did not mean to take a shot at us, but as usual, the forum is starting drama. Lets set the record straight before this turns into a whole miscommunication.

The car came in for a tune. It is a typical Stg2 EVO 8 with HKS 272 cams. No issues there. We did a smoke(boost leak) test the minute he came in. Checks out OK. I look it over and see the OP did not have his boost controller hooked up, no problem. Hooked it up and on the dyno she goes./ this car came in with a tune from another shop and a Tephra V7 ROM.

First pull at 21 PSI and we are under 200 HP. I immeadiately start trouble shooting. Car feels like it has a small silencer in the tailpipe and is restricting air/exhaust flow. I suggest we look at the cat.

We get the Cat off and the Perrin cat pipe has failed. The substrate is flopping around the pipe and bits pouring out. I show the OP and offer to sve him cash by making a test pipe from stock stainless and his Perrin unit. No problem. I explained this can be the entire issue or a part of it. No problem

Get it on the dyno and it is still down on power. We suggest a Comp test. Customer sdaid he did one previously, but we should go ahead and do it. No problem. Comp comes out good.

I told him it may be the turbo, but we can go through the entire system(turbo to throttle body) and then let him know what we find. ie. a possible obstruction.

I sit in the office and show him various turbo options out there and also tell him he can get a used one on the forum, but he does not want to. Again, no problem there. I told him we will go over the car with a fine tooth comb and call him in the morning BEFORE ordering any parts.

So.... It is not the tune. We did not rip him off. We actually discounted the boost leak test, as we always do if no leak is found. We saved him money on the test pipe. We also told him he was free to buy his parts with us or any vendor. So I think this is just a little premature. We do not know 100% yet what is causing the low power, but we are diligently working on it and should have a solution tomorrow. He was happy(as best you can be with car issues) after he left and we will figure out the actual cause first thing tomorrow.

John
Sounds like some excellent service which is to be expected from such a reputable shop I'm sure you guys will figure this out soon!

To the OP..it sucks when these problems arise, but you'll more than likely encounter another issue at some point along the road. Sit tight and try and keep a positive outlook on it all, use it as a learning experience!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'm curious to hear what is causing the loss in power...
Old Aug 9, 2012, 09:38 PM

Good Luck, sounds like your car is at a great shop. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some good news!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So.... It is not the tune. We did not rip him off. We actually discounted the boost leak test, as we always do if no leak is found. We saved him money on the test pipe. We also told him he was free to buy his parts with us or any vendor. So I think this is just a little premature. We do not know 100% yet what is causing the low power, but we are diligently working on it and should have a solution tomorrow. He was happy(as best you can be with car issues) after he left and we will figure out the actual cause first thing tomorrow.

John

Nice to see shops chime in and let people know what's going on.

Hope it all gets sorted out.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by maevo8
wow thats so low power with u pushing that much psi. i would say its probably the tuner who deosnt know what he doing cuz 180hp is rally low.. and 2grand for a 9 turbo! U buying brand new ? u can find used ones on her for 450.00 and u can even install your self , if your looking to spend 2 k might as well buy a ef or fp turbo. but good luck on getting car fixed
It is guys like this that make trouble for the inexperienced. The OP is a young EVO enthusiast. He is really stoked about his car and wants to learn everything he can. This is actually a really good thing. I enjoy working with customers like this because they are eager to learn and are not jaded by the community yet.... they are simply stoked to have a fast car.

The problem is when comments like "tuner who deosnt know what he doing cuz 180hp is rally low.." causes the OP to think twice about his car and the shop it is at. This person has no idea what he is talking about. An EVO 8 is one of the easiest cars in the industry to tune. It is actually a very good car to learn on as a novice tuner because you can make decent power with very little effort/knowledge. A stock turbo Evo 8 at 23PSI will make 260 - 275 without aggressive timing or proper fuel mixtures(ie. 10.8 rather than 11.5) So to say the tuner has no clue is ignorant because the car will make over 250HP with no tuning skill at all whatsoever(you get the idea). You could literally put 3 degrees of timing from 2K RPM to 4500RPM and then 6degrees to redline and make power from boost alone....lol

I am glad the thread is back on track. We just need to be a little more careful when we attack a shop or car owner without all of the facts. A thread can have 15 good posts and one bad one and that is what the people will focus on. Don't get me wrong, some places/people deserve it....lol We do not want to steer guys like the OP away from the forums or shops that are looking out for his best interest.

We will have the car on the lift in about 2 hours, so I will keep everyone posted as to what we find. I will also see if I can get a pic of the cat for you guys to see.

Regards,

John
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

In for updates.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Please post the results of what's causing issue. I like to subscribe to people's treads that are encountering an issue with there evo. It helps me learn I. Case I encounter the same issue.

Glad to see the shop get involved with the thread and set the story straight!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With 72,000 miles when was the timing belt done last? It could have jump timing. No leaks, no smoke, good compression and makes boost makes me thing that it may not be the turbo. I've seen a lot of people do cams and leave the factory belt on.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spazpilot
With 72,000 miles when was the timing belt done last? It could have jump timing. No leaks, no smoke, good compression and makes boost makes me thing that it may not be the turbo. I've seen a lot of people do cams and leave the factory belt on.
the 60k was done by the previous owner supposedly.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

FYI - bone stock Evo 8's do about 190whp on Mustang Dynos.

Does the car have adjustable cam gears?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Craig King
FYI - bone stock Evo 8's do about 190whp on Mustang Dynos.

Does the car have adjustable cam gears?
car has the stock cam gears im pretty sure. the intake, cams and fuel pump should have the car over 200whp on the mustang without any problems

Quick Reply: worst dyno day ever