Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2wd dyno tuning an Evo??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road tune is not going to heat soak the intercooler and ensure safe timing while the car is on a race track for extended periods of time.

ha, no I am not selling the Autronic. Money is not an issue for me. I may end up shipping the car to NY. Email tune can never be as good as a car done on a dyno. Good luck finding MBT through email. I can make the A/F right myself and throw safe timing numbers at it, but that's not the point. Max horsepower doesn't do anything for me either, power under the curve does.

This is not my DD it once was, its a track toy, that I want to use to go play with the big boys in TTU.

Does your Stock ECU have the ability to log any user given parameter, at a user specified time, with a user specified number of data points? Can it data log the J&S SafeGuard Interceptor thats installed in my car? Does it have the ability to log the wideband? Does it have fail safes in place for loosing MAP sensor with the ability to still drive the car?

Its not that I need it, more like I want it.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been street tuned by Jay from Boosted Tuning for the past 20k miles, 0 problems and car runs great.

Skip the 2wd dyno and get an e-mail or road tune
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ezzey
I have been street tuned by Jay from Boosted Tuning for the past 20k miles, 0 problems and car runs great.

Skip the 2wd dyno and get an e-mail or road tune
Do you road race?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by casper980
I am in Southwest MI. Tuner is Bob Payton at Speed Lab, said to be one of the top tuners for Autronic in the Country. Mitch at AMS tuned the car prior, he has since left to work at COBB. This leaves me in search of a Certified Autronic tuner. Next closest besides Bob are in Virginia or NY.
DO NOT DO THE 2WD DYNO. Contact an etuners. Tscompusa will do it, and if he cannot there are others who can. Livernoise has a dynojet, Speed Industries has an old *** mustang, Pure Tuning has a dyno. There are 3 places you can get the car tuned or have someone tune it there and there all awd dynos.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Road tune is not going to heat soak the intercooler and ensure safe timing while the car is on a race track for extended periods of time.
A Dyno will heatsoak your fmic more then real world on road tuning will just an fyi.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
A Dyno will heatsoak your fmic more then real world on road tuning will just an fyi.
EXACTLY I want that to happen! Help you know the tune is safe for road racing.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Then why dont you just put a ****ty fmic on there that is super inefficient its the same thing. If your gonna road race your car, then heat soak isn't the answer. If your car is tuned by someone who can tune the car specifically for that, then it should be reliable. Heat soak has nothing to do with a tune being good or not. Heat soak just means your fmic is doing a ****ty job not keeping air temps cool enough and the car is losing power. That isn't a sign of a good tune. Being your car is in constant motion on the track the fmic wont heat soak. Well that is unless you put an ss auto chrome or some pos like that on there. Tuneing the car for mid boost level and responsiveness is the key, not heat soak my man.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

DO NOT DO THE 2WD DYNO. Contact an etuners. Tscompusa will do it, and if he cannot there are others who can. Livernoise has a dynojet, Speed Industries has an old *** mustang, Pure Tuning has a dyno. There are 3 places you can get the car tuned or have someone tune it there and there all awd dynos.
Livernois will be happy to swap your stock V8 for a crate motor. Don't trust them, I know someone that worked there.

Speed Industries collaborated with GodSpeed the same people that blew up my engine on the race track.

Pure I trust, however Keith has limited experience with Autronic. I spoke to him about it, he can do it. He also has experience with the J&S unit in the car. I am just looking for someone that knows the ECU inside and out.

If you guys are willing to take your car to just whoever that is fine by me. Heck I can tune your car for you if you want. However I want someone that is very credible with lots of experience tuning Autronic ECU's.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Then why dont you just put a ****ty fmic on there that is super inefficient its the same thing. If your gonna road race your car, then heat soak isn't the answer. If your car is tuned by someone who can tune the car specifically for that, then it should be reliable. Heat soak has nothing to do with a tune being good or not. Heat soak just means your fmic is doing a ****ty job not keeping air temps cool enough and the car is losing power. That isn't a sign of a good tune. Being your car is in constant motion on the track the fmic wont heat soak. Well that is unless you put an ss auto chrome or some pos like that on there. Tuneing the car for mid boost level and responsiveness is the key, not heat soak my man.
Then why did AMS always heat soak the engine/intercooler at the end of the tuning session?? Heat soaking the intercooler is not something I focus on, I am just using as one reason why I would not road tune the car.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Do you road race?
i've done my fair share of wot's, back to back to back, no issues at all.
car's been running great, tuned for 0 knock, everything just right.

What i like about road/email tunes is, its as real as it gets... road bumps, wind, all the conditions. On top of that, its very convenient to get my tune touched up when i add any mods since i dont have to go anywhere, just a nice open road to do couple wot pulls.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Then why did AMS always heat soak the engine/intercooler at the end of the tuning session?? Heat soaking the intercooler is not something I focus on, I am just using as one reason why I would not road tune the car.
Why? Easy its on rollers with no actual airflow. A big *** fan doesn't really simulate going 100 mph on a dyno all that well. Doesn't matter what kinda fmic you have after runs on a dyno they all heat soak.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ezzey
i've done my fair share of wot's, back to back to back, no issues at all.
car's been running great, tuned for 0 knock, everything just right.

What i like about road/email tunes is, its as real as it gets... road bumps, wind, all the conditions. On top of that, its very convenient to get my tune touched up when i add any mods since i dont have to go anywhere, just a nice open road to do couple wot pulls.
For some people its great don't get me wrong. It may work for you perfect and get the results your looking for. As far as convenience you cant beat it. I am definitely not in a spot of any convenience. Driving the 3hrs to AMS was convenient enough for me. Back to back WOT is not the same as WOT for 20-30 minutes at a time.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Livernois will be happy to swap your stock V8 for a crate motor. Don't trust them, I know someone that worked there.

Speed Industries collaborated with GodSpeed the same people that blew up my engine on the race track.

Pure I trust, however Keith has limited experience with Autronic. I spoke to him about it, he can do it. He also has experience with the J&S unit in the car. I am just looking for someone that knows the ECU inside and out.

If you guys are willing to take your car to just whoever that is fine by me. Heck I can tune your car for you if you want. However I want someone that is very credible with lots of experience tuning Autronic ECU's.
And I didn't say Livernoise to tune the car, I said they have awd dyno. I don't trust any of the shops I mentioned either, but if you can get someone to tune the car remotely and on a dyno as you said you wanted to, then thats the best option just pay for the dyno time and have whoever tune it from there. And I agree with Will, swap that **** out for a stock ecu and tune it yourself. Much easier to do and less hassle.I mean I really don't see what the difference is in this ecu then a stock ecu. They do the samething, this has some features that seem cool, but if I can't see why this would help any more then a stock ecu would. And on top of that you have to find someone who can actually tune it? I think any good tuner should be able to tune with any type of ecu reguardless of what it is being its all the same stuff. Features maybe different and software but tuning is tuning.

Last edited by CurseDSM; Aug 12, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

For some people its great don't get me wrong. It may work for you perfect and get the results your looking for. As far as convenience you cant beat it. I am definitely not in a spot of any convenience. Driving the 3hrs to AMS was convenient enough for me. Back to back WOT is not the same as WOT for 20-30 minutes at a time.
WOT for 20-30minutes? As in track? Dont see any other way of getting 30minutes of WOT (clarify plz)
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Why? Easy its on rollers with no actual airflow. A big *** fan doesn't really simulate going 100 mph on a dyno all that well. Doesn't matter what kinda fmic you have after runs on a dyno they all heat soak.
They did this because I tell them the car is for road racing. The timing is more conservative as well. If you just drive your car on the street or drag race it, you will never put the stress on it that you do road racing. Your right, the fan can never simulate on the road. Yes the IC's will always heat soak if they continuously run it on the dyno. Most tuners that do normal cars allow the car to cool off before continuing to tune and do runs. This is to try and keep the IC/Engine at normal operating temperatures thus tuning the engine for max power where it will normally be temperature wise. Under extreme conditions of road racing you overheat everything. Trust me, cause if it can overheat I have done it.

Quick Reply: 2wd dyno tuning an Evo??