Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2wd dyno tuning an Evo??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ezzey
WOT for 20-30minutes? As in track? Dont see any other way of getting 30minutes of WOT (clarify plz)
Yes sir! On a road course! Way too much fun I suggest you try it! WOT is only fun if you have to break hard while down shifting, turn in accelerate out!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I'm confused about this car. Is it a road race car or straight line car. Either way if only a hand full of tuners can tune ur ECU then it's pretty much worthless. Real road race guys adjust tune to the track and elements or heat elevation and even humidity on site (road tune) so don't knock road tunes. I would suggest getting anothe ECU, becoming familiar tuning your own car or hire a tuner to travel with you to the track to make adjustments. 2nd don't come here asking opinions the reject them if your dead set on putting your car on a 2 wheel Dyno then just do it or if our Ballin enough to ship your car for a tune then do that but I'd save the money and just get a AEM and learn how to do it yourself.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V8HAHA
Ok I'm confused about this car. Is it a road race car or straight line car. Either way if only a hand full of tuners can tune ur ECU then it's pretty much worthless. Real road race guys adjust tune to the track and elements or heat elevation and even humidity on site (road tune) so don't knock road tunes. I would suggest getting anothe ECU, becoming familiar tuning your own car or hire a tuner to travel with you to the track to make adjustments. 2nd don't come here asking opinions the reject them if your dead set on putting your car on a 2 wheel Dyno then just do it or if our Ballin enough to ship your car for a tune then do that but I'd save the money and just get a AEM and learn how to do it yourself.
Car is a road race car. I do realize the big boys "road tune" it. However those are more like the NASCAR/F1 guys and those engines spend hours on an engine dyno first. Also the road tune you speak of is done on a race track not on the street with traffic. I can tune the Autronic that is not the point, I want it done by a professional. In the past I always road tune the car myself just to make it safe to drive to AMS. I have not gotten any responses by someone that said, yes thats just fine, or no don't do it and here are the reasons why. All of the responses have been, buy another ECU. If you re read my first post I said normally I would scoff at the idea of 2wd dyno, I am just looking for someone in the know, to confirm its a good or bad idea. More then likely I will take it/send it to someone with an AWD dyno.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by casper980
Yes sir! On a road course! Way too much fun I suggest you try it! WOT is only fun if you have to break hard while down shifting, turn in accelerate out!
Im getting her on the road course this year, 100%
Wot, brake while rev matching, corner, punch on the exit!! PSSSSSHHHHHH

TO the OP

You've got all the info you needed. The 2wd dyno is just plain stupid and should not be bothered with. So either take the time to Drive your car and get a real awd tune, ship the car, or get an e-mail/road tune.

gl with the decision
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Rather than pay to have your car shipped, to me the cheaper and more sensible option would be to pay to get the tuner you want to a location with a proper dyno.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Road tune is not going to heat soak the intercooler and ensure safe timing while the car is on a race track for extended periods of time.

ha, no I am not selling the Autronic. Money is not an issue for me. I may end up shipping the car to NY. Email tune can never be as good as a car done on a dyno. Good luck finding MBT through email. I can make the A/F right myself and throw safe timing numbers at it, but that's not the point. Max horsepower doesn't do anything for me either, power under the curve does.

This is not my DD it once was, its a track toy, that I want to use to go play with the big boys in TTU.

Does your Stock ECU have the ability to log any user given parameter, at a user specified time, with a user specified number of data points? Can it data log the J&S SafeGuard Interceptor thats installed in my car? Does it have the ability to log the wideband? Does it have fail safes in place for loosing MAP sensor with the ability to still drive the car?

Its not that I need it, more like I want it.
My car is on an aem ems and has never been tuned remotely. Tuning your "road race" evo on a dyno will not setup the car properly. What you should do is tune it while at the track in real world situations that the car will be used for. I was just stating some options you have other than using an ecu most are unfamiliar with.

If you are so knowledgeable on the subject..why did you make a thread asking about putting your track car on a single roller dyno?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
And I didn't say Livernoise to tune the car, I said they have awd dyno. I don't trust any of the shops I mentioned either, but if you can get someone to tune the car remotely and on a dyno as you said you wanted to, then thats the best option just pay for the dyno time and have whoever tune it from there. And I agree with Will, swap that **** out for a stock ecu and tune it yourself. Much easier to do and less hassle.I mean I really don't see what the difference is in this ecu then a stock ecu. They do the samething, this has some features that seem cool, but if I can't see why this would help any more then a stock ecu would. And on top of that you have to find someone who can actually tune it? I think any good tuner should be able to tune with any type of ecu reguardless of what it is being its all the same stuff. Features maybe different and software but tuning is tuning.
I like that we agree on something! If I was going to tune it myself, I would be fine with using the Autronic software. I cant see how the stock ECU and tuning it myself would be any easier then tuning the Autronic myself. I am much more comfortable with it. Do not get me wrong, I appreciate everyone's comments and advice. I always do. However going back to a stock ECU is not something I will do, thats why I sold it. I like being different! Even if I have to spend a little more and drive a little further.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flymx771
My car is on an aem ems and has never been tuned remotely. Tuning your "road race" evo on a dyno will not setup the car properly. What you should do is tune it while at the track in real world situations that the car will be used for. I was just stating some options you have other than using an ecu most are unfamiliar with.

If you are so knowledgeable on the subject..why did you make a thread asking about putting your track car on a single roller dyno?
Because I don't claim to know everything. The reason I started the thread is cause I like the tuner, just not the idea of 2wd dyno. Even if they said they have done it before. I am just looking to see if anyone on here has ever done it.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Rather than pay to have your car shipped, to me the cheaper and more sensible option would be to pay to get the tuner you want to a location with a proper dyno.
Well then you have to pay for plane ticket, hotel, food and his services. Kind of like getting Robispec to come and visit to set up your suspension.

After all this debate I am just taking the car to Diebold.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
They are in IL no???

I wouldn't think you would need to fly him or pay for a stay. Are there not many AWD dynos in IL excluding AMS.

Isn't Strictly Modified in IL too??

Last edited by gsrboi80; Aug 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Speed Industry in Troy has an awd mustang dyno you could rent.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry bro but not just NASCAR/F1 cars get tunned at the track obviously you have never been to a time attack event or real road course day. Most of those guys tune between sessions and I'm not talking about the pros, I mean every one of them. The pits are filled with more laptops then a WOW tournament. That's why they have shake down laps so guys can dial in suspension and tunes before they start. And as stated before a Dyno tune will be off when it comes to road racing/ street tunes. Your gonna have to do adjustments to compensate for real world road load and heat and humidity.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Road tune is not going to heat soak the intercooler and ensure safe timing while the car is on a race track for extended periods of time.

ha, no I am not selling the Autronic. Money is not an issue for me. I may end up shipping the car to NY. Email tune can never be as good as a car done on a dyno. Good luck finding MBT through email. I can make the A/F right myself and throw safe timing numbers at it, but that's not the point. Max horsepower doesn't do anything for me either, power under the curve does.

This is not my DD it once was, its a track toy, that I want to use to go play with the big boys in TTU.

Does your Stock ECU have the ability to log any user given parameter, at a user specified time, with a user specified number of data points? Can it data log the J&S SafeGuard Interceptor thats installed in my car? Does it have the ability to log the wideband? Does it have fail safes in place for loosing MAP sensor with the ability to still drive the car?

Its not that I need it, more like I want it.
You should sell the Autronic and get either AEM or stock ECU. I know you dont wanna hear that, but its the best choice, since theres not many Autronic tuners around.

The stock ECU is very very capable. It can log whatever you want. It cant log your J&S, but you wont need to, as the stock ECU has a much better knock control system then the J&S. Yes, the stock ECU can log a wideband. You wont need to worry about "loosing MAP sensor" with the stock ECU.

And MBT can be found though email, with the use of Virtual Dyno.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
You should sell the Autronic and get either AEM or stock ECU. I know you dont wanna hear that, but its the best choice, since theres not many Autronic tuners around.

The stock ECU is very very capable. It can log whatever you want. It cant log your J&S, but you wont need to, as the stock ECU has a much better knock control system then the J&S. Yes, the stock ECU can log a wideband. You wont need to worry about "loosing MAP sensor" with the stock ECU.

And MBT can be found though email, with the use of Virtual Dyno.
I was waiting for a tuning company to step in and say something.

My email/street tunes have ALWAYS turned out better then my dyno tunes.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Car is going to Diebold Autosport. Autronic Dealer and has an AWD dyno. DONE Lock thread please

Quick Reply: 2wd dyno tuning an Evo??