Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why so many Evo's for sale with low mileage on mods?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by wickedwyte06
they arent that bad on parts guys!? my brother has a 2011 audi s4 now we can talk expensive on upkeep! our brake pads arent crazy expensive, our rotors, nothing on the car is crazy expensive. when i bought mine i told myself look its not a honda civic its not gonna be 10$ brake pads, its a performance car thats awd, i knew what i was getting into. i dont think i can name a single "performance" car out the there is "cheap" to own. no one buys a ferrari and cant afford to fix it. their oil changes are 3000$ because its a ferrari, i understand these are "lancers" but they are modded from the factory. JUST MY OPINION!
Actually, as i previously posted im looking into purchasing a 2009 audi a6 in a couple months. from all the research iv done i must say its not that far off when it comes to maintenance costs and i do my research when it comes to cars lol. idk maybe it that i live in canada but thats what ive gathered from searching around. difference is the evo is a MUCH easier platform to work on yourself and thats where people save money. i would never do my own work under the hood of an audi.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoVIIIxoxo
Actually, as i previously posted im looking into purchasing a 2009 audi a6 in a couple months. from all the research iv done i must say its not that far off when it comes to maintenance costs and i do my research when it comes to cars lol. idk maybe it that i live in canada but thats what ive gathered from searching around. difference is the evo is a MUCH easier platform to work on yourself and thats where people save money. i would never do my own work under the hood of an audi.

i agree 100% with that, but thats what im saying the audis require a lot of specialty tools and a lot of work that i would never perform myself! i was looking at buying a 08 s4 but holy batman the cost of upgrades and matinence lead me back to the evo... which now btw i love and am so happy with! glad i didnt buy that 6500lb goliath car! but in all reality to get back on topic i just dont see owning a car that you love sooooo much but dont love it enough to drive it everyday! "man i love jack daniels, but im not gonna drink it today dont wana turn it into pee!" thats what comes to mind haha its like you dont wana drive your car because your scared to hurt it, but what i dont understand is EVERYPART on these cars are replaceable, minus the little numbers on the dash called the odometer! i just dont understand it, guess to each their own do what you want with your car, im a firm believer of that
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
i agree 100% with that, but thats what im saying the audis require a lot of specialty tools and a lot of work that i would never perform myself! i was looking at buying a 08 s4 but holy batman the cost of upgrades and matinence lead me back to the evo... which now btw i love and am so happy with! glad i didnt buy that 6500lb goliath car! but in all reality to get back on topic i just dont see owning a car that you love sooooo much but dont love it enough to drive it everyday! "man i love jack daniels, but im not gonna drink it today dont wana turn it into pee!" thats what comes to mind haha its like you dont wana drive your car because your scared to hurt it, but what i dont understand is EVERYPART on these cars are replaceable, minus the little numbers on the dash called the odometer! i just dont understand it, guess to each their own do what you want with your car, im a firm believer of that
Yes i totally get you on that point i think we can both agree that the evo would be a more sufficient daily if you dont mind all the lack of luxury and comfortability and it if you have the budget to drive it. drive it. Lets not waste jack Daniels, that would just be a shame
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:35 AM

i agree wasting jack is a horrible party fowl that the death penalty should be issued if it were to happen! so in that case why waste a evo! in my opinion if you can afford to drive another vehicle in place of a evo and have the evo sit in the garage u have enough money to drive just the evo seeing that with 2 cars u have to have insurance on both, fill up both, maintain both the list goes on. its like giving your wife a boob job, it would be so much cheaper if she only had one! haha
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

my car is garaged on a regular basis, its under 50k miles, and its lightly modded as well. i see nothing wrong with that. different strokes for different folks....

the guy who posted the comment they treat their cars like it's a ferrari and keep the mileage low for resale purpose. he hit it right on tip of the nail.

my evo to me, is like how the old timers love their old muscle cars. plus imo the evo isn't a regular car, its a special vehicle made and as for 8s and 9s they are no longer produced. **** what people say about oh it's ridiculous not to drive their car. No it isn't.... i want mine preserved nicely and safe in my possession....

whenever i decide to take it out thats what i do. i also have a brand new 2012 toyota to do my daily driving for me. so my car will continue to stay in good condition. once again everyone is different, You can you dog your car out, risk it getting vandalized or stolen. I myself prefer to have the peace of mind knowning that its safe and when i do take out for a cruise or go somewhere its AlWAYS in eye view from me, so i can see whats going on around it
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by dizaryl
No matter how beautiful a woman is; there's always some guy tired of putting up with her s**t.

That there just about sums it up perfectly. The evo is a great car but some just don't havethe patience to put up with some of the sh*t that comes with owning one. Ive gotten used to all the rattles, bumps, booms, bangs, etc that my car produces and I've learned to love them
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donmeca2020

the guy who posted the comment they treat their cars like it's a ferrari and keep the mileage low for resale purpose. he hit it right on tip of the nail.

You can you dog your car out, risk it getting vandalized or stolen. I myself prefer to have the peace of mind knowning that its safe and when i do take out for a cruise or go somewhere its AlWAYS in eye view from me, so i can see whats going on around it
I definitely did some research on this topic with Evos and a lot of other rare JDM cars in our day (supra, gtr, nsx etc.) and found it was the same with a lot of other owners as well.

I want to preserve my Evo so it can last a long time and I can enjoy it over the years, just because I don't beat on it daily, doesn't mean I'm holding out on it for the next owner.

I can walk into any car dealership and buy a daily driver of any make and model, but I can't do that with the Evo 8/9. As I'm sure a lot of other guys know that watch the marketplace, these cars don't come around often anymore.

If someone was keeping miles low on a honda civic or mazda 3, now that would be weird.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:38 AM

i mean i guess i see your point, but its almost like your scared to make your odometer go up? lets face reality, you cant compare a supra, r34 skylines and so on with a evo. how many evo 1-8s do you see that have 20xxx miles on them sell for $50000+ that are stock? how many supras do you see that are stock that go for that price? i just dont see a evo being a "rare" car 15yrs from now, and again ill argue the fact that it is a car, EVERY part can be replaced. IMO i just see a number when i look at my odometer. yes you get wear and tear on the car, but i dont beat my car up EVERY day maybe every other but thats what i bought a performance car for right? and as far as the theft deal goes, i used to do home security, i can sit 50yrds from your house and when u use your garage door opener i can pull the code from it with my smart phone... and open the garage when you leave, so you cant use theft as a excuse, your car can be stolen from anywhere. i just dont get if you love a car SOOOO much why wouldnt u LOVE to drive it every day? rock chips... paint... tires.. order new ones.... brakes.. order new ones... suspension... order new parts.... the list goes on and on. but again just putting my thoughts out there!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:00 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i mean i guess i see your point, but its almost like your scared to make your odometer go up? lets face reality, you cant compare a supra, r34 skylines and so on with a evo. how many evo 1-8s do you see that have 20xxx miles on them sell for $50000+ that are stock? how many supras do you see that are stock that go for that price? i just dont see a evo being a "rare" car 15yrs from now, and again ill argue the fact that it is a car, EVERY part can be replaced. IMO i just see a number when i look at my odometer. yes you get wear and tear on the car, but i dont beat my car up EVERY day maybe every other but thats what i bought a performance car for right? and as far as the theft deal goes, i used to do home security, i can sit 50yrds from your house and when u use your garage door opener i can pull the code from it with my smart phone... and open the garage when you leave, so you cant use theft as a excuse, your car can be stolen from anywhere. i just dont get if you love a car SOOOO much why wouldnt u LOVE to drive it every day? rock chips... paint... tires.. order new ones.... brakes.. order new ones... suspension... order new parts.... the list goes on and on. but again just putting my thoughts out there!
Back in the early-90s, I'd visit a local record store specializing in indie and imports. They were clearing out their vinyl - 3 for $1. I cleaned them out over a period of ~2 years. The owner and his one employee would point and (literally) laugh as I walked up to the counter with a pile of LPs. Today, each of those same records is worth more than 100x than I paid for it and the price will only go up, as clean abused examples are becoming more and more scarce, while the demand for those same items isn't decreasing in the least. Sometimes I think back to those fools at the record store and what they may be thinking today, ~15 years later.

The point is, failure to understand the market can never be beneficial.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:27 AM

they arent that bad on parts guys!? my brother has a 2011 audi s4 now we can talk expensive on upkeep! our brake pads arent crazy expensive, our rotors, nothing on the car is crazy expensive. when i bought mine i told myself look its not a honda civic its not gonna be 10$ brake pads, its a performance car thats awd, i knew what i was getting into. i dont think i can name a single "performance" car out the there is "cheap" to own. no one buys a ferrari and cant afford to fix it. their oil changes are 3000$ because its a ferrari, i understand these are "lancers" but they are modded from the factory. JUST MY OPINION!
$3000 Ferrari Oil change? Dont know where you got your prices from. I deal with Ferraris on an almost daily basis, oil changes are about $150-200 for most models, less for the DIY folks. Most of the time a good indy mechanic can even replace and R&R a clutch for less than $3k. Dont let the mystique of a marque fool you.

Back on topic, most people get into the car with very little knowledge. They often get hit with unexpected things that for many are simple fixes but for others become nagging issues they dont have the ability to deal with, so the car gets sold.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Back in the early-90s, I'd visit a local record store specializing in indie and imports. They were clearing out their vinyl - 3 for $1. I cleaned them out over a period of ~2 years. The owner and his one employee would point and (literally) laugh as I walked up to the counter with a pile of LPs. Today, each of those same records is worth more than 100x than I paid for it and the price will only go up, as clean abused examples are becoming more and more scarce, while the demand for those same items isn't decreasing in the least. Sometimes I think back to those fools at the record store and what they may be thinking today, ~15 years later.

The point is, failure to understand the market can never be beneficial.
+1

I follow the car market daily and see the trends in most cars and what vehicles I think will become classics/rare. The Evo definitely stands out if you look at the prices from when the car was released and how much they go for now. It may not be along the lines of a GTR, NSX or Supra but it's special on it's own level and price range.

Also the same can be said about my toy collection (as your vinyl), or vintage toys I buy at garage sales. People laughed, but selling a few of my extra transformers toys bought me a JDM rear rather quickly.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

No one is scared to make the odometer go up......quite a few of us have other means of transportation. so Why would we rake up miles on a car like this?? i agree it's not at the point of rarity such as a 50s vette but i do believe its STARTING to get at the point of some of the older imports that have cult followings.

The only reason Supras got so expensive and sought after was because of Fast and Furious, let's take another example say a 3rd gen Rx-7, the last year they were produced in the U.S was i want to say 1993. a 19 year old jap sport car is still today fetching close $15k or more depending on it's mileage,appearance, and the amount of mods done to it.

These two cars including the evolution and a few other makes would be called a novelty, or niche type of car. they have appeal to Certain people, and those certain people would pay a good amount to own one of these. so once again let me ask you.... Why rake up the miles on the evo and make it your regular work horse if you didn't have to ?? it's understandable to daily it, if your a youngster and or have no other means of transportation, but if your like myself or some of the others and have another vehicle to drive daily,there is no reason to do so. as i said before i want to preserve my evo.

Last edited by donmeca2020; Aug 26, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:09 PM

again i guess to each their own, i have 4 cars to choose from everyday i wake up. 06 evo mr, 96 k1500 chevy, 06 corrolla, or a 2003 ford lightning. time and time again i choose the evo because its the most fun to drive, it has 66XXX miles and has not ONE paint chip, scratch or dent on the car, no interior wear or anything. again its all how you treat your car i guess? half the time im scared im going to wash the paint off? the car gets wash 3x a week and clayed/waxed every month. i guess i can see what you guys are saying. just IMO DRIVE IT lol
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dizaryl
No matter how beautiful a woman is; there's always some guy tired of putting up with her s**t.
Definitely this
Old Sep 5, 2012, 07:55 PM

Lots of people just use them for a weekend car and have another means of travel during the week.

Quick Reply: Why so many Evo's for sale with low mileage on mods?