Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

speed density converted ppl please stand up

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I may go this route also. Also curious about weather changes.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from what i have gathered i dont think you would need retuned because of climate changes.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Stock turbo, full bolt-on with kelford 272 cams, 3 bar map sensor and fuel temp sensor. I have nothing bad to say about speed density other than it was a breeze to convert from maf and to tune. I have been running it for 6 months with no negatives
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

not seeing a downside to this yet.

thanks everyone
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Drove nearly 700 miles this past weekend at elevations varying from 180ft above sea level to 2300ft above sea level and temperatures from 65 degrees to 94 degrees with no issues. Cold start and idle is fantastic as well. All in all I am another happy ER customer!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zerofour1223
I am another happy ER customer!
That could also attribute to why your car runs so well
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sooo...would I be able to install a sensor on my fuel cell or somewhere else that has mild temp changes and it work okay?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
Sooo...would I be able to install a sensor on my fuel cell or somewhere else that has mild temp changes and it work okay?
If you're going that far into it I'd just run an IAT mang. You'd really have to test the consistency of the temperatures in your fuel cell to know if it will work as well as an IAT.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

are you guys also running 3 ports with your setups?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue91lx
If you're going that far into it I'd just run an IAT mang. You'd really have to test the consistency of the temperatures in your fuel cell to know if it will work as well as an IAT.
People have been doing it the old fashioned way so long that I may just go that route. I'm not sure if it'll work but maybe I could install the AIT sensor in the intake manifold. It's an older Magnus version 2 sheet metal piece with a MAP thermal spacer so I'm not sure how consistent it'll be. It'll be a little while before I go SD as I'm just trying to enjoy even being able to drive the car now so I have some time to figure this out.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
No you just use the fuel temp sensor to set up your ve along with your maf
and that sets up your ve table and your map setup.

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
With this your right, but doing it the other way your gonna see the same voltages being the fuel temp wire uses the same voltages as an iat would and they have similar outcomes. I have an iat in my system and Tom told me just to unplug it being we were getting conflicting readings between the 2 soruces. I just opted to go the fuel temp sensor being the iat can be unplugged and it was a waste of time and money for me to put it in the intake pipe.

People have been doing it the old fashioned way so long that I may just go that route. I'm not sure if it'll work but maybe I could install the AIT sensor in the intake manifold. It's an older Magnus version 2 sheet metal piece with a MAP thermal spacer so I'm not sure how consistent it'll be. It'll be a little while before I go SD as I'm just trying to enjoy even being able to drive the car now so I have some time to figure this out.
Installing it in the intake mani wouldn't give you accurate readings it needs to be just before the throttle body. You are metering the air comming into the intake mani not the air in the intake mani. I know it doesn't seem to make since but there is a difference between the 2 charges.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding is as follows:

Difference between intake main, and pre-intake manifold for the IAT is that it is much more accurate pre-intake manifold due to the fact that the intake manifold becomes greatly heat soaked and will actually heat up the physical sensor and give an inaccurate reading.

since air is moving through the intake manifold quite quickly, it is not as subject to the heat soak that the sensor is. conversely, a sensor mounted on the UICP just before the throttle body won't have the same degree of heat soak.

also, the IAT when mounted on the intake manifold doesn't react fast enough to temperature changes in charge air, it lags giving another false reading.

have tested both setups on turbo-charged honda applications, which come with the IAT on the intake manifold on OBD1 cars, and in the intake tube on OBD2 cars. I logged IAT temperatures in both positions on the same car/setup through Hondata, and the readings where vastly different.

I don't have any data for a MAF car converted to speed density for an IAT vs. Fuel Temp sensor.

Interesting discussion, would love to hear/learn more about speed density conversions on these cars.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by TeachersEvo
My understanding is as follows:

Difference between intake main, and pre-intake manifold for the IAT is that it is much more accurate pre-intake manifold due to the fact that the intake manifold becomes greatly heat soaked and will actually heat up the physical sensor and give an inaccurate reading.

since air is moving through the intake manifold quite quickly, it is not as subject to the heat soak that the sensor is. conversely, a sensor mounted on the UICP just before the throttle body won't have the same degree of heat soak.

also, the IAT when mounted on the intake manifold doesn't react fast enough to temperature changes in charge air, it lags giving another false reading.

have tested both setups on turbo-charged honda applications, which come with the IAT on the intake manifold on OBD1 cars, and in the intake tube on OBD2 cars. I logged IAT temperatures in both positions on the same car/setup through Hondata, and the readings where vastly different.

I don't have any data for a MAF car converted to speed density for an IAT vs. Fuel Temp sensor.

Interesting discussion, would love to hear/learn more about speed density conversions on these cars.
Yeah your exactly right. The iat is suppose to measure air intake not intake air. Being the sensor measures air to the intake that is what the readings of the cars will read for the fact much cooler air charge. With this said measuring that charge the ecu can adjust proper air fuel in the ve. As everyone knows cooler air makes more power. Sorry I am at a loss for words at the moment I know what I am tring to say but just having a hard time putting it into words at the moment hope this makes since.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
No you just use the fuel temp sensor to set up your ve along with your maf
and that sets up your ve table and your map setup.

He's got a fuel cell and that's why he's asking.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

ok well this thread just changed my mind im going SD good info guys

Quick Reply: speed density converted ppl please stand up