Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

**** perrin psrs ****** mod

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
**** perrin psrs ****** mod

.......... offset psrs bushings FTL ;/
beating the crap out the bottom of the car with air hammer -10

sigh

Last edited by ezzey; Aug 16, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah....
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still got to put this in. hope its not that bad.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Sorry to hear it, Dave.

I had a similar issue when trying to get the ball joints out and back into the LCAs for my Whiteline RCK.

You can always throw money at it and have a shop do the work.

I've got an energy suspension kit for the CT9A sitting in the garage, but I'm afraid to even look at the amount of work it would take to replace all the bushings in the chassis.

Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics for people to see just how messed up this mod is... sigh
Never thought I would be taking a air hammer to the under side of my car... David, I bought this mod thinking when we installed yours how easy mode it was... then to realize that mine was hitting frame... only to then check yours to find out your has been hitting frame since installed... fail mod.... at least they do warn you... but they should WARN YOU, WITH PICS!!!

Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Is this a common thing with the psrs offset bushings? That is pretty bad looking. So is the solution to re-clearance your subframe or will you always have a rubbing issue?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
Is this a common thing with the psrs offset bushings? That is pretty bad looking. So is the solution to re-clearance your subframe or will you always have a rubbing issue?
Yes its a common issue and what you should expect and be prepaired to done if you get the offset psrs. It is a close fit and will all bolt in just fine... But if you move the control arm as if it was going over a bump.... Well lets just say the arm touches down on the frame...

its not as bad as it looks.... Also seems like evo 8s are more re-enforced in this area with extre material when compared to a evo 9.... On my evo 9 it was rather easy to fold in the subframe... But the ops evo 8 was a completely different story...

If you dont ensure proper clearance... The arm will indefinently knock on your frame... Not exactly what one would want
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

thank you VERY much for sharing, this mod was on my to do list. jeez...
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

What are the benefits to this mod??? Besides compromising the structural integrity of your cars' subframe?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Craig King
What are the benefits to this mod??? Besides compromising the structural integrity of your cars' subframe?
you won't compromise the structural integrity of your car at all... the metal there in my evo8 is so hard rock, ,its unbelivable. So dont worry about structure integrity.

benefits - better cornering, more caster, and added pro lift

the stock bushing is a bushing with rubber all around it... this one has 0 play as its rock solid. Even thou perrin website claims a little more harshness and vibration, i certainly dont notice it.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

This was on my to do list as well. I guess I will think ahead and clearance the subframe so my control arms dont hit with this mod. Just to clarify, you should be fine if you get the zero offset psrs, this is the offset one, for anyone that doesnt feel comfortable banging on your subframe you might want to chose the zero offset option.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Is the benefit with this mod due more to the solid bushing or the increased caster? Would going through all the work of changing this bushing out not even worth changing if you're going with the zero offset over the offset version?

This is one of my next planned mods, but a question for the guys that went with the offset version: how is the steering feel after the offset bushing install? Evo's have a legendary steering feel that I would not want to see degraded by the increased caster...does the steering 'feel' different post-mod? Same, better, worse, more resistance, less resistance to turn the wheel in corners??
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
This was on my to do list as well. I guess I will think ahead and clearance the subframe so my control arms dont hit with this mod. Just to clarify, you should be fine if you get the zero offset psrs, this is the offset one, for anyone that doesnt feel comfortable banging on your subframe you might want to chose the zero offset option.
You should be in the clear with the zero offset version as it does not change the position of the lower control arm

Originally Posted by Craig King
Added cast... check
Better turing radius... major check in my books
Solid bushing over stock crappy rubber... check
Lots of win
As for the subframe... I am no rocket sientist or any sort of mechanical engineer... but if you really think the structural integrity of the vehicle frame (NOT subframe as the subframe is not what is dented as you may have noticed or not in the pics provided) is comprimised from 2 dents... especially here where the material is very well re-enforced. (Its not like you are chopping the frame rails in 2)
...welll
Then I can all but wish you the best of luck

Originally Posted by WW-GSR
Is the benefit with this mod due more to the solid bushing or the increased caster? Would going through all the work of changing this bushing out not even worth changing if you're going with the zero offset over the offset version?

This is one of my next planned mods, but a question for the guys that went with the offset version: how is the steering feel after the offset bushing install? Evo's have a legendary steering feel that I would not want to see degraded by the increased caster...does the steering 'feel' different post-mod? Same, better, worse, more resistance, less resistance to turn the wheel in corners??
The biggest and best part of this mod is the solid bushing (both offset and zero offset versions)... the stock bushings allow for ALOT of movenet of the control arm, especially when braking and excellerating

The added caster is a added bonus, especially as caster is normally not easy to change or obtain... and the more you can get the better (there is a point which is too much obviously) Relatively easy mod for what you get in return
My vehicle is not yet on the road, so to judge would be from the passenger side of the ops car. He should be the one to tune in on feedback, on top of that, I have changed way to much suspension, steering and alignment things to ever tell what component has changed what...

On a personal note, I dont think you could ever destroy the legendary steering feel, response and turn in with added caster... In my opinion (and again, I am no engineer) I feel that added caster will only compliment the evos already awsome steering
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Foxbear, any chance you have a pic with it slightly zoomed out? For some reason the mounts where your psrs are at look slightly different than mine. Also, your subframe/psrs bolt looks to have a washer on it, but on mine its just a bolt, iirc. No big deal, but if you had a zoomed out pic it would answer my confusion.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Glad I went with the zero offset and +1 on sending the shop to do this work if you can afford it.

Quick Reply: **** perrin psrs ****** mod