Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo iv in the states?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
evo iv in the states?

Hello chaps,
I have a thread running over on the newbie's forum about moving to the USA.
It looks like i won't be able to import my 1996 evo iv but if i buy a mirage and swap all the running gear,engine and body parts over from my evo would this be illegal?
I really don't want to sell the evo as i have seven years and lots of money and parts invested in it
I wouldn't sell the mirage after conversion as it would be for personal use only.
Can i import the car as just an object with no intent of using it on the road?
I have been reading some threads of lads converting mirage's to early evo's but it seems to cost them $$$$ because of importing most of the parts(parts which i already have in my evo iv)
any help with this would be much appreciated!
cheers,Mick
P.S. just tried to put a couple of pics on but it wouldn't let me
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
someone correct me if im wrong but i think you car register it as a mirage..u will have to go through inspections and emissions i believe. plus im sure each state is different their own laws. dont sell the car though.

as far as illinois.. u can drive on dealer plates for sometime if you have someone that owns a dealership or a bodyshop etc.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:09 AM

Cheers G,
Do you mean register my evo as a mirage in the uk before importing or register as a mirage when i bring it over?
Attached Thumbnails evo iv in the states?-bathtime-263.jpg  
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

i honestly dont know what the best thing to do is.. but all i know is that u can register it as a mirage here in the US. now if u did that in UK n that brought it over might not be a bad idea... just not 100% if it will work better..hopefully someone replies that knows more bout this and helps you out. good luck! JUST DONT SELL IT!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:56 AM

"JUST DONT SELL IT!"
lots of cheap evo iv's in England,if i sell it it's worth maybe $4500 and i probably have $12000 in it so far(lots of mods)
I can't believe importing a well cared for car can be such a hassle considering some of the heaps of crap i saw driving around on a recent trip to Florida
I could get a spare ecu and have it mapped to pass an emissions test(at about a 100hp loss)and then switch it for the proper(anti-lag,etc.)one later
keep the answers coming chaps,this is getting interesting!!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:00 PM

Even if you registered it as a mirage, a Euro spec Mirage still would not pass emissions and crash/safety regulations here in the us. It's not approved for import by the FDOT (Federal Department of Trasportation). Cars must be at least 20 years old (someone correct me if I'm wrong) before they can be imported EDIT: before they can be imported with less hassle, newer cars can still be imported its just a lot more work. Its what we are going through in the Toyota MR2 community right now, we can finally import 1991 and 1992 RHD JDM cars legally without a huge hassle. Its still not the easiest thing to do.

Last edited by The Juice; Aug 17, 2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: quick edit
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:26 PM

So it's a no go situation,
can i import the car and build all the parts into a mirage?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:34 PM

No its doable, you just have to have patience and be willing to invest the time to get it done. Get in touch with the one guy that had the thread about importing his VI TME into the states from Japan, he'll be able to give you a lot more insight into the process.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I wouldn't take the route tme guy did. he can never legally drive the car on the streets and signed contracts saying so.,

the best way to get it is by cutting car in half. legally can be brought over as parts that way. or you could take it apart and ship in two containers. harder that way and you dont have to cut it, but I would take cutting route. have a evo 1 here that way cut and welded back together. it doesnt look bad. no issues at all concerning welding back together. its not like welding two halfs of different cars together. use thin saw blades and you are golden. take rear window out. cut through rear posts, roll harness back and cut through rear floor in front of gas tank.

usa has 25 year rule. canada has 20 year rule. there arent really any good options.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Sep 21, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:19 PM

Cheers 94,so i can import the car in two halves then use all the parts to build a mirage/evo iv?
Is it legal as long as i declare the modifications when it's built?
It will seem a bit strange taking a 9" grinder to a car i've had for 7 years
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:06 PM

I say bring it over as a track car. No way I'd take a blade to my car. If you're going that route then I'd just break the car down and ship all the separate parts over to swap onto a Mirage.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mick9ornothing
Cheers 94,so i can import the car in two halves then use all the parts to build a mirage/evo iv?
Is it legal as long as i declare the modifications when it's built?
It will seem a bit strange taking a 9" grinder to a car i've had for 7 years
you have to keep in mind the awd evo shell is different than ordinary mirage shell.
many differences.

you can transfer all parts to mirage shell. but its hard work. but you do end up with completely legal car.

there are many evo cars here using mirage titles. not legal. but many do it. insurance is cheap. and govt will never seize a mirage.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Just bring it and put a mirage vin on it and register it, its not like your trying to sell it and make money or anything.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by gotpsi?
Just bring it and put a mirage vin on it and register it, its not like your trying to sell it and make money or anything.
Yep.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:55 PM

Swapping vins is an idea, BUT he still has to get the car in the country and deal with US customs. They wont just pack his car and ship it over and then just let him roll it out on to US soil.

Quick Reply: evo iv in the states?