Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

7,8,9 parts on early evo's

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7,8,9 parts on early evo's

Evening chaps,
I was chatting to Ceewizzle from canada about late model parts and compatibility with earlier evo's,he asked me for some example's on a pm so i
thought i would post it here so everyone can read it
these are all in my experience and while i know any part can fit any car if you bugger about with it for long enough these are fairly simple crossover jobs
My own car is a 1996 evo iv and has been uprated with lots of parts from evo 7,8,9's,these example's are for evo 4,5,6's(I didn't include 1,2,3's because i've never owned one)
Wheels:- 7,8,9 and x wheels will fit early evo,s but on a iv the 8" wide rims sit right on the edge of the arch so will probably rub with hard cornering,running the car too low or having 3 fat chicks in the back(you know who you are)
I run mine 30mm lower on the back with a 7.5" rim and 225/45/17's and had to trim the rear bumper to arch bracket a little,other lads on the mlr have run 215/40/17's with no rubbing on quite low cars.
suspension:- 7,8,9 suspension will fit a 4,5,6 with a little tinkering,the rears bolt straight on but the front uprights will need drilling out from 10mm to 12mm to take the 7,8,9 bolts,also the 7,8,9 uprights are a few mm's wider so 4 shim plates will have to be made to take up the gap,spring and damping rates are near enough to not make a difference as the 7,8,9 is only a little heavier than the 4,5,6(or 1 fat chick in the back)
brakes:- evo iv's can be fitted with brembo's front and rear but if buying some used ones make sure you get the mounting bolts as the evo iv ones are not long enough.i think the brake hoses will fit but can't be sure as i bought a set of braided ones and asked for evo iv one end brembo the other.
evo x brembos will fit too but only under 18" wheels,standard brembo's are a good mod for the evo iv and with some fast road pads should pull you up sharp(unless you have a car full of fat chicks,are you seing a theme here?)
drivetrain:- rear ayc diffs will swap from the 7,8,9 to a 4,5,6 and have a stronger case and the 7,8,9 clutch will fit if you put a 7,8,9 flywheel on as well(good mod this as the 7,8,9 clutch is 10mm bigger and costs the same when you change the clutch/flywheel)
engine's:- I am no expert on the engines but 5-8 are essentially the same,the 4 is the same way round but has an issue with crankwalk because of the cranks centre bearing design and the 9 is the same but with a mivec head,
most engine components can be swapped around(my first engine had a 4 block,6 crank,8 rods and pistons and a 6 head!)
each generation came with better components and turbo's etc. so the newer components you buy the better(thats evolution for you)
all ancilliary components should bolt straight on.
anything that connects a component to the body won't transfer to an older evo but stuff like radiators,intercoolers will fit with a little bracketeering
ecu's:- 7&8 ecu's will fit 4,5,6's with small wiring mod's but you will have to ask the experts about this one, there is info about this and many other new to old mod's on the MLR forum over here in england
I know this thread is mainly aimed at people outside the US but i hope it will help the lads building early evo's out of mirage's and paying overseas shipping on parts they can get in the US.
Sorry if i rambled on for a bit,i only meant to answer Ceewizzle's pm but hey,we are all one big community right!
cheers,Mick.
The following users liked this post:
gotblkr (Apr 5, 2017)
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice thread man, I'm sure a few of us will get some use out of this. Do you happen to know if the MAF from a later model evo will work on a 4? This could be a really dumb question but I personally don't know, and need to find a working MAF for my 4.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:42 AM

Cheers fellow iv owner,
I don't see why it shouldn't (same voltage etc.)
But I don't know if the plugs are the same?
I would put a post up on www.lancerregister.com
To check before you buy one,some very clued-up
Lads on there!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

im pretty certain most motor/suspension parts from different gen evos will interchange with no problem. the only things that can't be change around from later year to early year evos would be body parts, considering their shape is different.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Yaris?

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
im pretty certain most motor/suspension parts from different gen evos will interchange with no problem. the only things that can't be change around from later year to early year evos would be body parts, considering their shape is different.
Sorry a bit off topic but I wanted to subscribe anyway... I was looking at your info and was wondering if your Yaris still works of if you have taken the ignition coils out of it yet so you could make a DIY COP for your evo? Haha.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Very helpful thank you!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

haha very funny and helpful post!

thanking from vancouver, bc with an evo iv!
Old Apr 28, 2013, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Will an 05 ecu work on an 03?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 07:07 PM

I just bought a V here in Canada and need to get new rotors for inspection. Are the V through IX rotors the same? thanks
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:57 AM

With regard to the rotors, the same brembo brakes being used would suggest same rotors. If they are not the same then at least they are bolt on upgrades. I upgraded my IV to rotors and brembos from a VIII with no issues.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by MapleBar
I just bought a V here in Canada and need to get new rotors for inspection. Are the V through IX rotors the same? thanks
I had to do mine as well. Pads and rotors from a '03 EVO 8 fit fine on my '99 Evo 6, I would assume they'd fit the 5 no problem
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pheoxs
I had to do mine as well. Pads and rotors from a '03 EVO 8 fit fine on my '99 Evo 6, I would assume they'd fit the 5 no problem
All you Evo 4-6 guys... I'll be selling some parts over summer from my Evo 9

Just sayin!!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pheoxs
I wanna see your car!! What color is it?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go
All you Evo 4-6 guys... I'll be selling some parts over summer from my Evo 9

Just sayin!!
Trade me cars!

I've had the 6 a week and posting it for sale tonight Doesn't work for what I do. Apparently my boss things it's 'unprofessional' as we do lots of consulting and work with clients. BS I know so I think I'm selling the 6 and going to bring a 8 or 9 up from the states.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go
I wanna see your car!! What color is it?

7,8,9 parts on early evo's-vxejfuzl.jpg

7,8,9 parts on early evo's-jcx6rrhl.jpg

Quick Reply: 7,8,9 parts on early evo's