Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Who's rockin mud flaps?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to find me some mudflaps ASAP.. They make the car look beautiful.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

My car never see's rain or snow, and I still rock mud flaps. Keeps dirt/rocks/wheel wetter from flinging up the side of your car.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R. Burgundy
If you're not gonna get the evo specific ones, I know from experience that the "universal" rally armor flaps are kinda a pain in the butt. Install took a pretty long time on my car, because I'm OCD and needed them to be perfectly straight and even. and marking the holes to drill them out was kinda tedious. (don't try to do it with the wheels on, it'll make life 100x harder than it has to be)

They don't hang down very far either. To get the rear ones down to my liking (1-2 inches off the ground :P) I had to rig up an L bracket to have a place to bolt the flap too because of the way it's shaped. But for functionality, where they sit normally is fine. I just preferred the rally car stupid look over the subtle almost oem look.

Yes, they trap a lot of stuff in them. I took them off the other day for the first time in 6 months and I was amazed at the amount of twigs and rocks and stuff trapped. Just be careful and diligent about putting them on and you'll minimize that. Also, they will get very dirty looking and are pretty hard to clean on the car. Mine looked like crap like permanently dirty.

Also, I have 18x9.5 wheels and 255 tires, and my front tires rubbed constantly on them on normal turns (and full locks obviously). Theres a visible indentation on the flaps where I was rubbing and they're pretty deformed. Also, you'll hear them chattering in the wind on the highway.

For the winter months, if you think it's worth it, go for it. It can't hurt. But all that stuff I listed was enough to outweigh the fact that they looked pretty fresh haha. Sorry for the novel I wrote. Kudos if you read all that crap :P
Rally armor flaps are the way to go! Its not that bad to install them. And you only have to go through the small headache once of installing the hardware. After that its super easy to install them and uninstall them as you like.

As burgundy says, if youre running wide wheels they will rub like a mother. But thats why I take the front ones off in the summer when im running my 18x9.5's and put them back on in the winter when im running my stock wheels and blizzaks. I also never hear them in the wind.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 07:49 PM

I have some mud flaps on my wrx and I think it makes the car look great!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 08:00 AM

What are some other brands that make mud flaps compatible with the Evo besides rally armour?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Ralliart makes a set for the 8/9 but I think they're pretty rare. Rally armor makes a good product, rokblokz makes a set (i know they have some wacky designs and colors available for some cars), and theres also good ol' pep boys. buy a set of truck ones and cut them to your liking.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Looking at those rokblokz flaps, I like that they're much cheaper than the rally armor flaps. Should there be any real difference in fitment on them for the USDM vs the JDM rear?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

ebays got a few from ralliart, whether they are genuine or not, theres quite a few on ebay coming from uk
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:35 AM

I just checked ebay, I like those ralliart flaps but I live in the U.S. and the cost to ship them over would be nuts.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:39 PM

I just bought the ralliart from ebay, after 2 week of lookin into it, i realised that they are the same pad that evobits sell, and same price also, anaway i bought the red 5mm kaylan for a total of 230$ shipped to my house in quebec, they cost a little bit more but here with the -40 the guy on ebay told me to get the 5 mm one, they really much more harder he told me..

Still havent received it yet, it take like 1 week to make em and 2 week with shipping
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by k_sheanh91
Hey TougeGod7 what fenders are those?
they're seibon fenders

Originally Posted by gray9evo
As burgundy says, if youre running wide wheels they will rub like a mother. But thats why I take the front ones off in the summer when im running my 18x9.5's and put them back on in the winter when im running my stock wheels and blizzaks. I also never hear them in the wind.
ran 255 *specs on stock body/rims and they never rubbed and they also don't rub with my 285 hoosiers, but that might be because of the wider fenders...they do rub a lot on the ground though
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

My mudflaps are my favourite part of my car.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by njboy
Sold my DD and will be using my EVO through this coming Winter. Do mud flaps offer protection from the salt? I'm concerned that they will trap slush and salt between them and the inner wheel well. I'm considering Boeshield on the suspension and inner fenders as well.
Years ago I owned two Trans Ams, a '78 and a '79. This was back before the makers ever thought of putting any rust proofing on cars. Beautiful cars but underneath they came from the factory bare metal. They were rusty on the show room floor.

So, I used a product similar to Boeshield. It was called Consel Clear and also came from the marine market. I'd put a car up on stands, remove the wheels and mask any parts like exhaust or brakes I didn't want oily. I used a Sears paint gun that had a gasket you could turn and when turned it would pressurize the bowl. I also have used this gun with house paint.

Anyway, I would crawl under and do what amounted to painting the underside of the car with this oil. I'd also shoot oil into the body cavities. The car would then drip for a few days. I had little piles of oil dry all over the place on the garage floor.

The '79 is now owned by my niece (an attorney) and it is her wheels. The last time I saw it, it was still rust free.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tpatterson
Looking at those rokblokz flaps, I like that they're much cheaper than the rally armor flaps. Should there be any real difference in fitment on them for the USDM vs the JDM rear?
x2.....Im considering getting a set of these... very cost effective & if not available in all black would just black out the logo letters...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tpatterson
I have the Rokblokz mudflaps with the JDM rear and they fit perfect, really easy to install. But i'll tell you this remove the tires it makes the installation a breeze.

Quick Reply: Who's rockin mud flaps?