Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Who's rockin mud flaps?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's rockin mud flaps?

Sold my DD and will be using my EVO through this coming Winter. Do mud flaps offer protection from the salt? I'm concerned that they will trap slush and salt between them and the inner wheel well. I'm considering Boeshield on the suspension and inner fenders as well.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ good question im curious my self this would be my first winter with my **** lol And i hate rust and you know those new england weathers
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I do!!! ummm yeah all that happens.... but it also protects the side of your car from getting kicked with road salt and rocks... so which is worse?.....
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X2 I'd like to know
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
they will a bit, but it can be rinsed out easily with a hose or pressure washer (which you should be doing anyways in salty areas)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:48 PM
ATR

Mudflaps do not really help with salt spray under the car. It only protects from rock and salt hitting the side of the car.
Underneath, just rinse a few times a week.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Yea buddy +1 for mud flaps. I got wide wheels and it's been amazing keeping my side chip free
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:00 AM

Good to know! This will be my first winter, I am thinking about picking up a set of Rally Armor mud flaps.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CO_CReX
Good to know! This will be my first winter, I am thinking about picking up a set of Rally Armor mud flaps.
If you're not gonna get the evo specific ones, I know from experience that the "universal" rally armor flaps are kinda a pain in the butt. Install took a pretty long time on my car, because I'm OCD and needed them to be perfectly straight and even. and marking the holes to drill them out was kinda tedious. (don't try to do it with the wheels on, it'll make life 100x harder than it has to be)

They don't hang down very far either. To get the rear ones down to my liking (1-2 inches off the ground :P) I had to rig up an L bracket to have a place to bolt the flap too because of the way it's shaped. But for functionality, where they sit normally is fine. I just preferred the rally car stupid look over the subtle almost oem look.

Yes, they trap a lot of stuff in them. I took them off the other day for the first time in 6 months and I was amazed at the amount of twigs and rocks and stuff trapped. Just be careful and diligent about putting them on and you'll minimize that. Also, they will get very dirty looking and are pretty hard to clean on the car. Mine looked like crap like permanently dirty.

Also, I have 18x9.5 wheels and 255 tires, and my front tires rubbed constantly on them on normal turns (and full locks obviously). Theres a visible indentation on the flaps where I was rubbing and they're pretty deformed. Also, you'll hear them chattering in the wind on the highway.

For the winter months, if you think it's worth it, go for it. It can't hurt. But all that stuff I listed was enough to outweigh the fact that they looked pretty fresh haha. Sorry for the novel I wrote. Kudos if you read all that crap :P
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

I have the rokblokz and they fit perfect no modifications needed to install, and they help out alot.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My rally armor flaps protect my car well.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Great for the snow keep the salt from hitting you car yes you have snow trap in there nothing a car wash can't fix. And great for all year round from the rocks you kick up.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xRoguex
My rally armor flaps protect my car well.
Same here. One of the first aftermarket parts I purchased
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Hey TougeGod7 what fenders are those?

Quick Reply: Who's rockin mud flaps?