Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Going to change out fluids (13.6k miles). Some Questions.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Going to change out fluids (13.6k miles). Some Questions.

My car was sitting (was being run every few months) for around 4 years until I started driving it 3 months ago. My tranny is extremely notchy (like every other evo), and I can't stand it anymore. I bought a weighted shift-knob, which helped a little, but not enough.

I'm going to have it done by my mechanic, and just want to make sure I am purchasing the correct fluids & getting the best bang for my buck.

Items:
  1. Diaqueen 75W85 Manual Transmission (1 Gal.) $94.01
  2. Diaqueen LSD SAE 90 (1 Gal.) $40.01
  3. Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic Motor Oil (5 Qt.) $37.99
  4. OIL FILTER KIT (MZ690116) $6.95

Is it only possible to buy the tranny and TC fluids by the gallon? If no, am I getting my best bang for my buck by buying them by the gallon?

I've read about some different kind of tranny fluid "mixture", other than stock. Should I go with that instead?

Should I change out the ACD and rear diff fluids as well?

What would be a fair price to have all of these fluids changed?

Evo maintenance isn't cheap

Last edited by Kreeker; Aug 23, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
All fluids mentioned are fine. For the motor oil though you can get it in a 5 qt jug and save some money there.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Redline cocktail mix is what I use for the transmission and it has worked great for me so far. I use the Diaqueen in the rest of the drivetrain. You can use pretty much any synthetic oil in your engine along with any quality oil filter.

Don't be hung up on brands as I have yet to see any definitive evidence that one oil is far superior to others in all test. People on here will rep Amsoil or whatever brand they use because they are bias, but I can say I've used them all and have suffered no ill effects on any of them (I thought Royal Purple made my engine a little noisier, but that could have also been in my head).

13k miles is LOW mileage!! Pics?

Last edited by SRTRaceR04; Aug 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

The rear diff gets the same Diaqueen LSD SAE 90 as the TC
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$11.88 for a 1qt of mobil 1, where are you buying the oil ? I can get it at wally world for $6 bucks.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
All fluids mentioned are fine. For the motor oil though you can get it in a 5 qt jug and save some money there.
Awesome updated OP.

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
The Redline cocktail mix is what I use and it has worked great for me so far. I use the Diaqueen in the rest of the drivetrain. You can use pretty much any synthetic oil in your engine along with any quality oil filter.

Don't be hung up on brands as I have yet to see any definitive evidence that one oil is far superior to others in all test. People on here will rep Amsoil or whatever brand they use because they are bias, but I can say I've used them all and have suffered no ill effects on any of them (I thought Royal Purple made my engine a little noisier, but that could have also been in my head).

13k miles is LOW mileage!! Pics?
Ok the cocktail mix seems to be much cheaper than the Mobil1, so I'm interested to hear some other opinions on it. Looks to be $44.85 for 3 qts.

Nothing impressive:

The rear diff gets the same Diaqueen LSD SAE 90 as the TC
Ok, but do I want to replace the rear diff and acd fluid at this point? Would there be any noticeable symptoms?

Last edited by Kreeker; Aug 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to walmart for Mobile 1. I have used Mobile 1 on my car since the day I have had it. NO issues here. Car has 134K now.

Originally Posted by Kreeker
My car was sitting (was being run every few months) for around 4 years until I started driving it 3 months ago. My tranny is extremely notchy (like every other evo), and I can't stand it anymore. I bought a weighted shift-knob, which helped a little, but not enough.

I'm going to have it done by my mechanic, and just want to make sure I am purchasing the correct fluids & getting the best bang for my buck.

Items:
  1. Diaqueen 75W85 Manual Transmission (1 Gal.) $94.01
  2. Diaqueen LSD SAE 90 (1 Gal.) $40.01
  3. Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic Motor Oil (5 Qt.) $37.99
  4. OIL FILTER KIT (MZ690116) $6.95

Is it only possible to buy the tranny and TC fluids by the gallon? If no, am I getting my best bang for my buck by buying them by the gallon?

I've read about some different kind of tranny fluid "mixture", other than stock. Should I go with that instead?

Should I change out the ACD and rear diff fluids as well?

What would be a fair price to have all of these fluids changed?

Evo maintenance isn't cheap
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adriano_917
$11.88 for a 1qt of mobil 1, where are you buying the oil ? I can get it at wally world for $6 bucks.
That was from mitsubishi parts. I don't have any wally worlds around me
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Rotella T6 and OEM oil filters, each change is about $28 or so. My next change I'm going to send out the filter and a sample for analysis, just to be safe.

I used MT-90 in my trans and it's been wonderful, changed about 5k miles ago. I used Redline 75/90 in my TCase and rear diff and it seems fine, but I'm going to swap that out for Diaqueen in another 5K since that is what is recommended. I don't drive it so as to be hard on the diff or tcase so I'm sure i'll be fine with the redline stuff in there for 10k.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why 5w30 instead of 10w30?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

ACD is a different fluid then the TC and rear diff. It is basically ATF.

There is a procedure for how to replace the ACD fluid but at 13k miles I wouldn't think it needed. Check the how to section of the site. I have an 03 so ACD here but it requires powering pump on to get old fluid out and priming new fluid in.

Rear diff/TC and tranny are easy as drain and fill.

The cocktail mentioned previously is for the tranny not the motor.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
Why 5w30 instead of 10w30?
5w30 seems to be better for colder climates like NY.

ACD is a different fluid then the TC and rear diff. It is basically ATF.

There is a procedure for how to replace the ACD fluid but at 13k miles I wouldn't think it needed. Check the how to section of the site. I have an 03 so ACD here but it requires powering pump on to get old fluid out and priming new fluid in.

Rear diff/TC and tranny are easy as drain and fill.

The cocktail mentioned previously is for the tranny not the motor.
If these fluids are really that easy to change... maybe I should man up, buy some good jack stands, and do it myself. I have a greddy ti I need to install anyway.

However, if the labor for the fluid changes would cost less than $100 I would almost rather avoid the hassle and have the mechanic do it..
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker
If these fluids are really that easy to change... maybe I should man up, buy some good jack stands, and do it myself. I have a greddy ti I need to install anyway.

However, if the labor for the fluid changes would cost less than $100 I would almost rather avoid the hassle and have the mechanic do it..
only thing I would be worried about is a mechanic filling the ACD transfer case up and when it flows out (full) he torques the fill bolt back in and calls it good... The ACD transfer case will act full at first, but it is really only like 3/4 full and you keep adding fluid after it settles or after you spin it around. I've seen a few people complain of TC whine after a fluid change and most of them are because of it not being filled to the max. Just something to think about or mention to the mechanic who does it.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
only thing I would be worried about is a mechanic filling the ACD transfer case up and when it flows out (full) he torques the fill bolt back in and calls it good... The ACD transfer case will act full at first, but it is really only like 3/4 full and you keep adding fluid after it settles or after you spin it around. I've seen a few people complain of TC whine after a fluid change and most of them are because of it not being filled to the max. Just something to think about or mention to the mechanic who does it.
Appreciate that. I would probably not even thought of that if I was doing it myself honestly... Is this information mentioned anywhere in a manual?

I'm not worried about the mechanic; he is the kind of guy who will not do something he is not comfortable with and refuses to do anything slightly illegal (bad for me when I install my exhaust).

Maybe I should just go to Ivey for this...?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's not hard at all, do it yourself if you have jack and jackstands. Get the car on all 4 jackstands so it's level and get started. Go buy a hand operated fluid pump that screws onto the majority of fluid containers and pump it up there

Quick Reply: Going to change out fluids (13.6k miles). Some Questions.