Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just blew lower intercooler pipe any advice?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the code is P0420 catalyst efficency below threshold bank 1. I was thinking.... I drove the car like 5 miles limping it without the boot on because my car was on the side of a main highway here and I.needed to get it to a gas station, could I have possibly fowled a plug enough to mess up anything, I just dont wana replace the o2 sensor and it not be the prob
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:06 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wickedwyte06
So the code is P0420...
I thought that code 420 pointed to a day in April when most of the country laughs at its current legislation. No?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Clear the code and troubleshoot if the light comes back on.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stevowilks503
Could any1 tell me what size of coupler I need for the stock evo 8 intercooler? 2.25? Sorry this is the only thread I see related to this subject.
Here are all the sizes. I use this same exact kit, and I've never had one pop off.
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...a5b70daad925fd
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:48 AM

I cleared the light last night and it came back on. I cleared it again this morning so we will see if it comes back. If it does am I looking at the upstream o2 sensor since its bank 1? Hope not that sucker is 300$. I just dont see how it could be a bad o2 with the car running fine? Wouldnt that jack up my air/fuel ratios?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

UeH i also used hair spray before , just spray it around the clamping area on the inside.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF

T-bolt clamps.

you hit that right on the tip of the nail lmao

AHHHHH i remember like it was yesterday, coming home about 6am and i gunned it, when i heard that POP, i literally thought i blew the motor or something. then after i seen it was the intercooler hosing came off. went right to NAPA bought a couple of these suckers. never had a problem ever again afterwords
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:51 PM

ok guys need your help, the code is P0420 came on after blowing my intercooler pipe. ive cleared it 4 times now and everytime it comes back on after a long drive, never comes on just driving around town. my car sounds like it has some minor detonation so i am going to change the spark plugs. which O2 sensor is bank one? the one after the cat? i just am still confused on how this went bad after blowing a charge pipe. PLEASE help! thanks in advance. BTW the car is bone stock besides a Fujita intake.

Last edited by wickedwyte06; Aug 26, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

It doesn't sound like you have anything significant done to your EVO.

a) take off that intake and go back to the stock air box. You are not making enough HP to justify using an aftermarket intake. Once you get over 450, then you can start considering the air intake.
Without any tuning, it is just making you run lean.

you might need to replace the rear o2 sensor. that is typically associated with the p0420 code.

Go up to this site, and don't pay $300 for a O2 sensor. http://www.walkerproducts.com/?page_id=29

good luck
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by chrisw
It doesn't sound like you have anything significant done to your EVO.

a) take off that intake and go back to the stock air box. You are not making enough HP to justify using an aftermarket intake. Once you get over 450, then you can start considering the air intake.
Without any tuning, it is just making you run lean.

you might need to replace the rear o2 sensor. that is typically associated with the p0420 code.

Go up to this site, and don't pay $300 for a O2 sensor. http://www.walkerproducts.com/?page_id=29

good luck
well heres the problem, i bought the car with the aftermarket intake set up aready on it so i dont have the stock air box, i plan on getting it tuned after i get my TBE, fuel set up, and some other little things. ive driven the car for awhile now set up how it is, so im guessing it will have to be a new o2 sensor? and our cars only have 2 o2 sensors correct? the one on the manifold and the one after the cat? so i need to replace the one after the cat
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's my guess....

When you "limped it home", you were running pig rich due to a huge intake leak. This fuel fouled your plugs and your O2 sensors. Pull them out, clean them, dry them, and re-install them.

I have seen a couple Evos with this same problem after the intercooler pipe popped off. Did the same cleaning I mentioned above on both of them. One, the light never came back on, the other it would come on after a bit of a drive like you mention... Perhaps the extended rich condition damaged the O2 sensor.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by hatesposers
Here's my guess....

When you "limped it home", you were running pig rich due to a huge intake leak. This fuel fouled your plugs and your O2 sensors. Pull them out, clean them, dry them, and re-install them.

I have seen a couple Evos with this same problem after the intercooler pipe popped off. Did the same cleaning I mentioned above on both of them. One, the light never came back on, the other it would come on after a bit of a drive like you mention... Perhaps the extended rich condition damaged the O2 sensor.
Thats what I was thinking! I am going to replace the plugs this week, and I will also try to clean the o2 sensor if not I will just replace it, but no one has answered my question about bank 1 is that after the cat or before?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by xxthayxx
a little hairspray also helps.
Couldnt agree more.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on hairspray worked great even with the worm clamps ...though i highly recommend upgrading which i eventually did.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:55 PM

Still no one can tell me which o2 sensor is bank one? I got the hairspray thing I got new boots, t bolt clamps and bead rolled the pipes. I.need to know what sensor is bank one for the p0420