Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Driving Your Evo In The Winter

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=mcm308;10365898]Snow packed into the IC? Nahhh, no problemo!
[/QUOT

Nice
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
It is a lot of fun to drive in the winter but you totally ruin the car long term wise. I bought mine in Atlanta GA, it was perfectly clean, drove it in two winters and now I have rust at the bottom of my spoiler, on the edges of the trunk and back panels along with every nut and bolt, sway bars, intake manifold has calcium build up. It sucks. So now I have to do a full restoration on it.
that sucks. mines was a michigan car its whole life till i got it and the engine bay looks amazing except its dusty. nothings rusted except some of the clamps. most of the bolts ive loosened come free no problem. only had one bolt break and that was one of the front bumper bolts. i guess it depends on the car sometimes though. my wrx that was a texas car almost of its life and was only a michigan car for like a year was HORRIBLE with rust. the body was clean so was the underside but every bolt and stuff never wanted to come loose. my only rust spot other than the spoiler brakets which seem to be alot of cars not just yours is on the left rear quarter and its only bout the size of a quarter.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:51 PM

drive my subaru and evo every winter, nothing to worry about if you give it a good undercarriage rustproofing and regular undercarriage washes!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

if you dont drive your car during winter, you're missing half the fun of owning this car.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by k_sheanh91
if you dont drive your car during winter, you're missing half the fun of owning this car.
+1, sometimes you just need to play!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:10 PM

Do not do it if you plan on keeping your evo and you think it will still look nice in 5-6 years. Any chip you currently have will be filled in by salted roads and will result in rust.

Now, if you have no choice. I recommend you undercoat the car with a rubberized undercoating. Also, make sure the under side of your doors are clean after each drive in the salt.

Do yourself a favor and just pick up a winter beater to keep the paint nice and to keep the car clean.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Step 1: Rustproofing
Step 2: winter tires
Step 3: ENJOY!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont believe we use any salt here....the City mixes small rocks and dirt instead of Salt, so your cars are disgusting but no nasty salt deposits.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

Same in Colorado, they use grit but no salt. The worst part is the day after all the snow melts, theres grit sitting all over the streets and when you drive on it, it sprays up.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 288 Likes on 219 Posts
snow anyone?

helll yeah... not driving it in the wintertime is missing the point of such a car. .
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith6110
Do not do it if you plan on keeping your evo and you think it will still look nice in 5-6 years. Any chip you currently have will be filled in by salted roads and will result in rust.

Now, if you have no choice. I recommend you undercoat the car with a rubberized undercoating. Also, make sure the under side of your doors are clean after each drive in the salt.

Do yourself a favor and just pick up a winter beater to keep the paint nice and to keep the car clean.
Been 7 yrs still looks like an EVO

I have a DD but I'll take the EVO thanks

They don't use much for salt here more cinders than anything
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:19 AM

lol, to each their own I guess.

I don't think they have a choice around here, no salt = ice. I know the sides of my winter beater is always white xD
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:47 PM

I daily drive my evo which means its my only transportation so yes. i drive it in the winter. I guess it is pretty fun.

Watch out for the ice though. Lost my first evo to that slippy stuff

i agree with alot of people here that its ONE of my reasons for buying the car is for the awd and getting around in winter.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by k_sheanh91

agreed...

I would however like to get some winter tires but doubt that I will responsibly put money towards them vs something else lol
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I decided to just throw it in my friends garage, the hassle and $$ with a new battery and tires and then all the crap thats on our roads id wanna wash it every day. Easier to keep it clean and spotless by just driving it in the summer. I have a winter civic to get all dirty.

Quick Reply: Driving Your Evo In The Winter