Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Driving Your Evo In The Winter

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012 | 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

We're getting our first snowflakes of this winter here right now, very appropriate that I chose to swap back to the blizzaks today!
Old Oct 12, 2012 | 05:37 PM
EvoM Guru

If you do donuts, don't hold the rack at full lock for too long. And if your wheels are out of balance afterwards, clean the snow off of them
Old Oct 13, 2012 | 05:31 PM

1st day the Evo has ever seen snow! Soon ill be out playing in it.

Old Jan 15, 2013 | 04:57 PM

Having some fun this winter.

Old Jan 15, 2013 | 05:06 PM

it was snowing in japan last week. Ive never driven in the snow. I had radical tires on my 6 and it wasnt fun. lesson learnt lol
Old Jan 15, 2013 | 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steelfire19
We have some extreme winters here, last year we had over 140" of snowfall and the temps in the winter are usually -15 to 10 degrees. Even if I leave it in the garage if I go to work then I will still have to start it in -10 weather. My mini battery dies after about 4 days of non-driving so I just assume the battery is on it's last leg. So I'll just get a new mini and run some blizzak winter tires.
Old quote, but it sounds like I need to move to Anchorage
I love the snow
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

favorite part of winter is driving my evo in the snow I'm running a mini battery (on stock cams though) that has never given me an issue in the cold (occasionally 0-5 degrees over night)..these cars are an absolute blast to drive in the snow
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steelfire19
1st day the Evo has ever seen snow! Soon ill be out playing in it.

Nice car man, nice car. If it hasen't seen salt yet, don't do it. Once you do, you can't go back. I've had tons of fun driving mine in the snow but if I could go back 5 years, I would have never driven mine in a winter. Now I have to strip it down completely and do tons of work to make it flawless/rust free again.
Old Jan 21, 2013 | 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
Nice car man, nice car. If it hasen't seen salt yet, don't do it. Once you do, you can't go back. I've had tons of fun driving mine in the snow but if I could go back 5 years, I would have never driven mine in a winter. Now I have to strip it down completely and do tons of work to make it flawless/rust free again.
I totally agree
Wish I never drove in the winter
Old Jan 22, 2013 | 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
If you do donuts, don't hold the rack at full lock for too long. And if your wheels are out of balance afterwards, clean the snow off of them

Probably a dumb question but why shouldn't the wheel be held at lock? I assume to prevent cv failure, but can you damage the rack as well?
Old Jan 23, 2013 | 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

I boght my 03 evo 8 a couple years ago and it was stored every winter and garage stored in the summer. The car has 22k on it. And i have people complimenting me on how clean it is. Ya its low mileage but i truly believe if it hadnt been stored winters it would be a different story. Ive modded the car a descent amount myself and the bolts are very easy to break. In WI the salt is everywhere. People say "its ok i wash my car alot" but im sorry that salt gets places a car wash will never get. I haveent spent $10k plus on my car just to see those parts rust away along with my car. Im sure driving it in the snow is fun but to me its not worth it. Plus when i drive it in spring for the first time it feels awesome. My gf is getting her RN license soon and im gonna ride her coat tales all the way down to scottsdale AZ in a year or so where we are moving. Then i wont have to deal with this salt crap.
Imo i wouldnt drive it if u have the option.
Old Jan 23, 2013 | 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

i fully built my evo and drive it in the summer and winter.. 24/7 365. No regrets.

sure salt is a pain in the ***, sure its nice to have 0 rust, but its also fun using the car all year around for what its designed for, which is driving in all conditions, every season

Old Jan 23, 2013 | 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

I'm glad there are people having fun in the snow. Really.
But, when their fenders start rusting in the corners. I'll look at mine and know that I dont have to worry about it. In the end its how long you want your car parts to last before they rust. If you don't care then its all you. This has nothing to do with what the car is designed for. Id say everyone on this site knows that an Evo is capable of all weather driving. The point of not driving a car in winter isnt the driving condition, ITS THE SALT. Again, im glad people drive in the winter and have fun with it. But you would be wrong to think it isnt hard on your car with the salt and mess that winter brings forth...

Peace
Old Jan 23, 2013 | 07:16 PM

Agreed. I will never drive my car in the winter. I like no rust and low miles. I wont even drive her in rain.