Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

starter click... still

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
starter click... still

Ok gurus, I will pay someone, anyone, who can figure out what the hell is going on with my car.. I'm still getting the "click" when trying to start the car periodically. It clicks once per turn of the key, not a fast continuous clicking.. Sometimes it will click 3 or 4 times (turn the key 3 or 4 times) then start, others it will click as many times as I turn the key and not start, let it sit for a while, then starts right up. Now before you think you have this figured out here's what I've done so far:

Replaced the starter 3 times (with 3 different starters)
replaced the ignition switch
replaced the ignition relay
added 2 additional grounds
checked the wiring between the relay and starter
Replaced the battery twice (voltage at or above 12.0)
charged the battery overnight

I'm very seriously considering just giving up and selling the damn thing at this point.. I need the stupid car to start, I can't be stranded or not able to get to work. This has been progressively getting worse over the past couple of months to the point where it won't start sometimes..

HELP!!!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
might have a stupid question for you....but perhaps the key itself is worn out...??? does your year have the chip in it by chance? If you have a spare key, try using that to rule out the issue. Ive been dealing with the pesky intermitten starter issue. Mines leaning towards the ignition switch where the key goes in. If it dont go in a certain way, doesnt work sometimes. I usually have to push mine in slightly or wiggle it a bit as im going from on to start. Good luck. Or if you have a turbo timer plugged in, id check the wiring from that to the starter column.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
*steering
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a spare key so I'd have to order one from the dealership. It is the chipped one. I didn't think the chip could wear out though?
I did have a turbo timer but removed it months ago.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Three new starters or three remans?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

2 remans and one brand new OEM mitsu. I know, it's baffling..
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your immobilizer is acting up have you tryed removing it from the ecu and see what happens from there if not you may have a poor connection some where between your switch and started. Also have you check the your neutral safety switch, which can cause this .you can bypass the also see if that help.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

I have the immobilizer disabled in the Tephra options. It's been that way for some time. Now, there is an alarm installed (it was there when I bought the car). I'd have to pay someone to test that since I have NO idea on how to do that.
I'm not sure about the neutral safety switch? Where would I find that to test it?
As for the wiring, I verified that there is continuity all the way from the ignition switch to the relay and from the relay to the starter.
Great ideas!! The other thing I've read is something abuot the ring gear or flywheel possibly binding?? I checked the teeth on the flywheel when I had the starter off and they looked perfect. So I'm not sure that's the problem.

Any other thoughts??
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

safty switch is on the clutch pedal, but if you have an aftermarket alarm in the car i would look in to that maybe causing all your problem from a lose ground to a bad brain for the alarm.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any engine lights??
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure the clutch switch is disconnected by the previous owner. Plus the alarm has an autostart, so I'm sure that needs the clutch switch bypassed or disabled.
It's starting to sound like I need the alarm checked.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
can be the wiring or the relay for the autostart (had that happen once) now my batt died so that is causing my new no start condition
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Check the rpm wire they tap into and yes it starting to look like your alarm, might also be the bypass of your clutch switch
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Originally Posted by MRolla
Check the rpm wire they tap into and yes it starting to look like your alarm, might also be the bypass of your clutch switch
rpm wire? why?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Skylineracer
rpm wire? why?
It the tach wire the alarm uses to start. A lot of alarm place tap into it and just put tap over it and over time the expose wirecause the tape falls off, build corrosion which maybe the problem or even causing an open.

Quick Reply: starter click... still