Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exedy Replace or not???? opinions pls

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exedy Replace or not???? opinions pls

so im rebuilding my trans, and i thought id inspect the clutch im right there anyway right? Exedy Twin, call AMS and they can get me the parts tomorrow which would have my car up by monday latest.

here are the specs. i know service limit is 3mm.... so do i replace or just live with it? i only drive about 15 miles a day. i have no idea whats on the clutch as it came with the car when i got it. Plates look ok, typical wear nothing nasty. clutch was perfect before trans went out.

disc one is 3.80MM
Disc two is 3.50MM
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on your cost.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
depends on your cost like above me said. personally i would slap new ones in and keep the old ones as back ups just so i know my clutch will be fine longer imo
Old Sep 3, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Well how many miles did you get out of it already? Your at 3.80 and 3.50, You still have at least 50% of clutch life left. Remember brand new the clutch is at 4.00 So just look at the mileage you put on and estimate how much longer it will last. If you don't mind pulling the trans out to replace it down the road then i would save up money over to buy the parts.

Total will cost you right around 7-800 depending on where you get the parts. If you replace it now, get a new TOB and i would get a new wave spring retaining clip for the pressure plate as well.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

After completly Removing the clutch and cleaning it all up, i reMeasured it all the way around, it was after cleaning
Disc 1 3.86
Disc 2 3.66

So i called and got a price of the discs, $500 for the new discs, cause the plates were fine,
I decided after dropping 2k into the car for all the trans parts, New mounts, oils, and paints/sandpaper That i didnt need the clutch at this time, it has about 60% left. I have no idea the milage on it cause i got the car with this clutch in it and have only put on 4k miles this year.
As for my Trans Rebuild by my self, it shifts like a beast now.