Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

coates cylinder head, rotary springless valve system

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coates cylinder head, rotary springless valve system

a client of mine just informed me of this valvetrain, it seems pretty brilliant and on the page of the creators they seem to rave about all the benefits. when i read it makes sense...

according to my client they threw this on some old pushrod lincoln v8 with a few modifications doubled power and thermal efficiency.

they are essentially using a spherical valve system, kind of like how a rotary engine uses the pistons to intake and evacuate gasses from the cylinder, at certain ports throughout the cycle, the rotary cam would have a similar chamber that rotates exposing only half the valve to heat from combustion and replacing hot spot with a spherical seal. also, no valve opening into the chamber which means more valve timing flexibility.
pretty interesting stuff.
http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv-advantages.html
Old Sep 2, 2012, 06:19 AM

also with no springs, no valve float which means high revs, which means bigger turbos and more power.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a video I found on it. This seems really interesting, video seems dated though. I do remember seeing something like this many years ago.

Claims like not being dependant on foreign oil and no oil changes for 50k make me think that the big oil companies would not like this very much.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:39 AM

i'm pretty sure they used this technology in some late 90's f1 engines... but they say they can make the head per request. I wonder if anybodies tried to throw this on a 4g63-4 motor... if you used a different head I imagine you could solve quite a few bad seal hg's on those 4g64's. imagine revving up to 15k... wonder if the crank could handle it. I saw on youtube one guy takes it to 11k not sure if it's stock crank, or rods... but could make a wickedly fast trap car... you could finish a 1/4 in 4th at almost 200 mph.