Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 DV guys..help me out plz

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 DV guys..help me out plz

hey guys, got the evo 9 dv, currently tuning with tscomp, e85 tune is first and yes i knw the dv starts to leak at around 25-26 psi, and i plan on crushing it very soon, neways, i always wondered this from when i first bought the dv, but even under extremely light acceleration the dv will flutter, no jerking or nething from the car like it would with part throttle boost issue, but is it normal for this thing to flutter with no boost at all, i watched it today, and i hit like -11 on the gauge, trying to stay as far outta boost as possible and it still flutter slightly, now the only time it does the full whoosh noise or watever is under full boost or WOT, is this normal with this thing, or is it possibly a dud? ne thoughts would b great
Old Sep 6, 2012, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The flutter is normal with lower vacuum. Not sure at what level mine starts to flutter but I know it does it. It's obviously much stronger spring and design than the wimpy plastic one.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

thx for the quick response, yea i figured it was, its so hard to get a solid answer searching on the forums or whereever else cuz people like to throw sum really stupid sh** out there that is totally not true lol neways do u have ur crushed and is it worth it to do it(i.e. is it gonna affect drivability)
Old Sep 6, 2012, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditch that dv and geat a Tial Qr, I had a the stock 8 dv and it fluttered just like yours, changed it to a Greddy type rs recirculated and I had the same thing, bought the Tial Qr and it holds perfect and flutter went completely away.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I even had the Greddy type R recirculated at one point but that SOB its really really stiff and it doesnt open until your pushing 35+ psi.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

buying a new dv isnt an option rite now as me and the wife have a new born and ive already spent enough money on this car, i dnt mind the flutter at all, i am now makin sure that the flutter is ok and that crushing it isnt gonna cause horrible driveability issues
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ReignMan24
....i knw the dv starts to leak at around 25-26 psi, and i plan on crushing it very soon.....even under extremely light acceleration the dv will flutter...is it normal for this thing to flutter with no boost at all, i watched it today, and i hit like -11 on the gauge, trying to stay as far outta boost as possible......
They don't start to lift at 25-26 PSI. Before you ever reach 25# it is full open. They crack and start to lift at 11 PSI. There is no reason for it to flutter with no boost. You have a particularly wimpy spring in yours that's all. Crush it and get on with life.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thx for the quick response, yea i figured it was, its so hard to get a solid answer searching on the forums or whereever else cuz people like to throw sum really stupid sh** out there that is totally not true lol neways do u have ur crushed and is it worth it to do it(i.e. is it gonna affect drivability)
I haven't crushed it. I am only spiking 23psi at the moment. If you're plan is to consistantly through over 26psi then I would crush it.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ReaperX
I haven't crushed it. I am only spiking 23psi at the moment. If you're plan is to consistantly through over 26psi then I would crush it.

that is currently the plan now, i just need to find a vice
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI its the turbo that's fluttering, and it's called surge. Crushing your dv is only going to tighten the spring which is going to make it flutter more at low/part throttle.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

so tell me y mitsu would purposely make a dv that causes compressor surge? they wouldnt, i knw wat compressor surge is, it normally causes slight bucking, and it mostly happens in 5th gear in alot of turbo'd cars, ive already researched the whole fluttering thing, im only askin people if its normal for it to flutter at such low boost/part throttle, i.e. did i get a faulty spring
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

i run the 9 dv on 21psi and it barely flutters at the lightest throttle, otherwise it makes the quiet little whoosh that its suppose too
Old Sep 7, 2012, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
so tell me y mitsu would purposely make a dv that causes compressor surge? they wouldnt, i knw wat compressor surge is, it normally causes slight bucking, and it mostly happens in 5th gear in alot of turbo'd cars, ive already researched the whole fluttering thing, im only askin people if its normal for it to flutter at such low boost/part throttle, i.e. did i get a faulty spring
You clearly don't know what you're talking about if you think it's the valve that's fluttering. The only reason why it's a flutter and not a buck is because the system is making less power in that situation.

And who ever said every part of a bone stock car is perfectly engineered to make more power? They aren't. That's like being surprised that the stock clutch slips at stock power.