Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clutch opinion for 350hp

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:24 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
You can, sure. It's your money.

Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by steven121
why not run a twin disk for 350? I plan on pushing more power later down the road, my goal will be 500hp and at least have a clutch that can handle the power later on
how much further down the road till you have 500hp? cause if its 30k miles down the road a twin disc will be a waste of money IMO, twin/triple disc clutches are good for about 40K miles depending on your driving.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lostsoulsevo
how much further down the road till you have 500hp? cause if its 30k miles down the road a twin disc will be a waste of money IMO, twin/triple disc clutches are good for about 40K miles depending on your driving.
yeah I guess your right maybe a few years,

lately the most recurring clutch is the exedy twin disk on here
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 6 puck sprung clutch and it was irritating to drive sometimes.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

if the car is your daily driver and wont be seeing the drag strip till you get serious power. i would just stay with a single disc sprung clutch.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hppwdn
I don't have lofty plans for my evo, maybe 400tq at most so I was wondering if anyone had tried the combo that worked so well for me elsewhere. It's an old school trick hot rod guys have been doing for generations.

If it could hold double the stock power on evos the way it did on the mazdas that would be plenty of holding power for a great deal of people while not adding significant transmission shock.

I have no problems throwing in a twin disc if the power requires one, just wanna see what people have tried on evos since I'm new to this platform.
When I first bought my evo it had a sprung 6 puck ACT disk with the stock PP. The original owner put it in after wearing out the stock disk. I don't think it did much better. I had to replace it shortly after buying it because of slippage.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by zaeyocla
I had a 6 puck sprung clutch and it was irritating to drive sometimes.

Evo I just picked up has an aftermarket clutch in it & it really is annoying, I plan to keep my car as close to stock as I can until I learn it a bit better...after reading up some Ive decided to just wait until I actually upgrade the motor internally for more power before getting a twin disk clutch....
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:22 AM

I have the same hp as you and I recommend the exedy stage 1 HD. I bought the car with the fx400 clutch masters n totally hate it
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

@ramen I haven't swapped the clutch myself on the car I had the shop that built my car do it, but I had two previous issues with the same act clutch that were defects in the clutch kit, but act made it right both times. So on the third one, I decided to have the clutch lines swapped. You gotta think if it's not a hardened ss line. The line will flex, pressure on the pedal can become inconsistent on hard track days. Being ours is hydraulic it only makes sense to do it and if your trans is out no better time. But as I said 45 k no slippage pulls good. So I'm not knockin exedy or any other manufacturer as I'm sure they build just as good. But the other day I helped my buddy bleed his lifters, and he told me to check his clutch pedal too, well holy **** is what I gotta say, your left leg gets a workout movin the clutch pedal. Granted he had a triple in there, and had over 500 ish hp, but I can't imagine likin to drive a car with an overly stiff pedal especially here in socal where traffic sucks as is.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dastallion951
@ramen I haven't swapped the clutch myself on the car I had the shop that built my car do it, but I had two previous issues with the same act clutch that were defects in the clutch kit, but act made it right both times. So on the third one, I decided to have the clutch lines swapped. You gotta think if it's not a hardened ss line. The line will flex, pressure on the pedal can become inconsistent on hard track days. Being ours is hydraulic it only makes sense to do it and if your trans is out no better time. But as I said 45 k no slippage pulls good. So I'm not knockin exedy or any other manufacturer as I'm sure they build just as good. But the other day I helped my buddy bleed his lifters, and he told me to check his clutch pedal too, well holy **** is what I gotta say, your left leg gets a workout movin the clutch pedal. Granted he had a triple in there, and had over 500 ish hp, but I can't imagine likin to drive a car with an overly stiff pedal especially here in socal where traffic sucks as is.
Nice. I went with the ACT HDSS and only had the upper SS clutch line waiting to be installed. I gave it some thought and went ahead and ordered the AMS lower SS line to be installed with the clutch. Looking forward to some positive results. I don't intend on tracking the car but I'd rather have consistent performance when doing spirited driving or hitting up some of the mountain roads around here than half *** performance.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:03 AM

Act
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:34 AM

i would go with a clutch masters stage 2 just in case you ever what more power down the road
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dl100489
i would go with a clutch masters stage 2 just in case you ever what more power down the road
advice 2 years down the line... nice.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven121
yeah I guess your right maybe a few years,

lately the most recurring clutch is the exedy twin disk on here
yea man, i've been on an exedy twin disc since '08 with 400 whp and 21,xxx later, still grabs as hard as the day it was installed, you can't go wrong with the exedy twin disc, i have no complaints about this clutch