Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

i hate driving this car!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
isntall them. It's easy. Could also be a dirty/bad sensor, a specific one doesn't come to mind. Cars trying to figure out wtf to do during part throttle and can't read a sensor will mess it up also.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This will probably come off as a ****ty comment, but here's a bad recipe:

New to the EVO
Doesn't know how to tune
GT40 turbo
600 awhp

Whatever could go wrong? Aye yay yay. Get a better tuner man. I will say that in my experience, I had a very similar situation on a 2G DSM - it came down to a poor BOV adjustment. It had an authentic Greddy Type S BOV (recirc'd) but it was installed by a blind monkey with no concept of RTFM. I adjusted it at idle per the manual and voila, *immensely* better low speed/cruising behavior.

HTH, good luck, don't give up man.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats up guys. So did a few things last night, boost leaked checked came out ok, next switched to new plugs, still does it, i ordered a new bov spring i didnt have one on hand. Also i did some logging and it does it in every gear when im barely, barely on the gas. On my logs i see no spiking or anything i really dont see anything wrong. I might be looking in the wrong spot though. I was also thinking last night could adjusting my tps help? Maybe its off a little. Or whoever installed my cams didnt do it right and its overlapping? Or its just a ****ty *** tune lol
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spadednick88
Whats up guys. So did a few things last night, boost leaked checked came out ok, next switched to new plugs, still does it, i ordered a new bov spring i didnt have one on hand. Also i did some logging and it does it in every gear when im barely, barely on the gas. On my logs i see no spiking or anything i really dont see anything wrong. I might be looking in the wrong spot though. I was also thinking last night could adjusting my tps help? Maybe its off a little. Or whoever installed my cams didnt do it right and its overlapping? Or its just a ****ty *** tune lol
Talk to one of the known tuners and see if they can help you look over the map maybe. And i remember while back when i changed my throttle body seals, and had to readjust my TPS, that made my car really hard to drive. Well, not so much hard to drive once it was actually rolling, but taking off, and low throttle was real pain in the ***. There was basically a dead zone if i remember correctly, and the gas pedal basically didnt do nothing, or it just did to much, and it was real hard to drive till i adjusted that.

Do more research, and keep at it. trust me, you're not the only one with issues.

Im sure once you get it all sorted out, car will run great for a long time.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Ya thats what im gonna do. A buddy told me last night that i can get a cable for my car on amazon for like 10 bucks?? Its not a tactrix though? Anynody have an idea what cable that would be?? Also forgot to mention i also had a thought maybe dirty injectorz hence i only run e85. I threw in a thing of lucus injector cleaner as well. Thanks for the help guys im learning lol
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:26 PM

Placing my bets on the Tial spring. My car did this EXACT thing. Every gear, barely any throttle. 10lbs of vacuum cursing. I have had to get 3 springs to get the correct setup for my cams. But it is practically non existent now. And I'm even on the stock MAF. Improperly tuned SD will make this problem SO much worse.

Good luck.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hearts_Fitment
Placing my bets on the Tial spring. My car did this EXACT thing. Every gear, barely any throttle. 10lbs of vacuum cursing. I have had to get 3 springs to get the correct setup for my cams. But it is practically non existent now. And I'm even on the stock MAF. Improperly tuned SD will make this problem SO much worse.

Good luck.
Well, what spring are you using?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

I have the white one in now but i ordered a black one. and my tuner setup my sd in about an hour so dont know how im depth he went.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by spadednick88
I have the white one in now but i ordered a black one. and my tuner setup my sd in about an hour so dont know how im depth he went.
What is your vac at idle that will determine if that is the right spring or not. I would check to make sure. And if your tuner spent an hour setting it up from scratch, if he hasnt done alot of them, I will bet he missed somethin.

Last edited by CurseDSM; Sep 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

My vacuum at 1k is at 12. I bumped it uo a tad to 1.3k and it sits at 15. Btw i had an alright starting map for him he just setup sd for me. It took about an hour or so, so def coulda missed something
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:20 PM

I fixed most of my partial throttle buck by adjusting my bov. I swapped to a slightly stiffer spring and kapow night and day difference.

Edit* Mostly stock, tbe, 3port, and intake filter.

Last edited by TpArK; Sep 15, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm some people are telling me softer spring and u changed to stiffer?? Hmm something to think about
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

It all comes down to how much vacuum you draw at idle. Do you have vacuum on your boost gauge or does it only show boost? If not, how much vacuum do you pull at idle, 10, 15, 20 in/hg?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

I listed above
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, must've missed it. If you bring idle back down a little, it looks like the black spring is your huckleberry.

Quick Reply: i hate driving this car!!