Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

High 9 second car

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoryder
This.

Why do you see shortly after a big build most high go owners cars for sale. It becomes a money pit and most of the time a horrible uncomfortable drive.

Good luck
he is not lying, im not even there yet, and ive spent more than what the cars worth on a built motor/turbo combo.. and guess what.. still break stuff... ive only driven my car 3 wks so far this year
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off a car is only as reliable as the person pushing the gas and shifting the gears. If you drive your car like you have soe sense then it will last you a long time. I built a turbo kit using Ebay parts and SS autochrome turbo and manifold and took my car to an 11.2 pass on the first day out. I was on stock engine stock tranny and twin disk clutch. I made well over 100 passes in the time I ownded my IX and only issue I ever had was my stock clucth. A 9 sec car can be had with simple mods and good driving. Id suggest
HTA35r turbo
S2 cams ( valve springs and retainer are suggested but some run them stock drivetrain)
decent intercooler
double pumper kit
2100cc injectors
E85 tune
Good clutch I perfer Exedy twin disk
Head studs

Theese mods installed and tuned correctly should net you 600whp and more then enough for a 9sec pass. All this is based on your engine being strong and tranny not abused. Id do a compression check to make sure all is good. For more info on fast setups go to drag racing section and pm any one of the many 9sec car guys their. Their is even a stock block list for fast cars that you can hit those guys up also.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This thread is hilarious. I'm trying to tell if the OP is a troll or just really dumb.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

I'm "hoping" to run 9's on some drag slicks eventually and my cars reliable
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Theese mods installed and tuned correctly should net you 600whp and more then enough for a 9sec pass

600whp at full weight might not get there.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

For a 9 sec car I would go with.the following setup

1. 255 lph fuel pump
2. Intake
3.exhaust
4.560 stock injectors

And most importantly a lot more research and. Lot more track time also inheritance of a small fortune wouldn't hurt

Also for the record 1-4 is seriously man do some research
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V8HAHA
HTA35r turbo
S2 cams ( valve springs and retainer are suggested but some run them stock drivetrain)
decent intercooler
double pumper kit
2100cc injectors
E85 tune
Good clutch I perfer Exedy twin disk
Head studs

Theese mods installed and tuned correctly should net you 600whp and more then enough for a 9sec pass. All this is based on your engine being strong and tranny not abused. Id do a compression check to make sure all is good. For more info on fast setups go to drag racing section and pm any one of the many 9sec car guys their. Their is even a stock block list for fast cars that you can hit those guys up also.

This is a good start, but you need seat time, seat time, and more SEAT TIME. I make a boatload of horsepower, but I have less passes on my car in 5 years than some guys make in one night. I have yet to even run an 11 second pass. My car is faster than my friend's 10.30's turbo Camaro.....but I am nowhere near a 10 second pass. OP, until you get some passes under your belt, you will be tossing money into a deep pit. One that will get progressively deeper as you try to crack into the 9's. Not to point fingers, but take a good look at EvoDan2004. He has been on a quest for 9's for quite some time, and just FINALLY cracked a 9.9x pass. Not trying to rain on your parade, but if you have to ask what parts it will take to run a 9 second pass, you definitely aren't ready to make that fast of a pass.

Good luck to you.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Lol man u do suck at driving. With those traps u shoud be in the 10s. I feel u tho seat time does make a big difference but he asked about a 9sec car I never said he would drive it to a 9 sec pass.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I must have missed the dyno sheet in this thread because I cant figure out why it hasnt been moved or deleted.

9 second pass in a 3000 lb car takes 700whp +/- on a dynojet and a decent driver. So the quick answer to your question, before this gets deleted, is whatever it takes to lighten the car up to get it down to 3000 empty and whatever makes 700whp the easiest.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I would have to say there is no such thing as reliable 9 second car. That should be the most important statement made when giving a mod list of some sort. some guy mentioned money three times. that gets pretty close. another said it was a pipe dream. I agree.

I sometimes wonder how young these low post count sill question posters actually are..
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I would have to say there is no such thing as reliable 9 second car. That should be the most important statement made when giving a mod list of some sort. some guy mentioned money three times. that gets pretty close. another said it was a pipe dream. I agree.

I sometimes wonder how young these low post count sill question posters actually are..
In a way I think its not entirely their fault. Media, especially the ricer rags show all these 1000+ hp cars and 9 sec time slips with little to no information about how reliable the car is or how often its in the shop in pieces. Half the time the cars featured aren't even RUNNING when they do shoots. Kids see the articles and say "I want that!" They have no idea the kind of money involved or the inverse relationship between speed and reliability.

Guys with insanely built up cars almost NEVER have that car as their only car. The idea of a reliable, daily driven, 9 second street car is dependent on your definition of reliable and how much money you can throw at it. A 2.0L AWD car is not going to be reliable by most people's standards at the power level required to hit 9s.

Can you have a streetable car (has tags and doesn't smash your back every time you start it up) with enough juice to run 9s... sure, but regular clutch replacements, transmission repairs, engine problems, fuel problems etc are a fact of life.

The most important thing though... cars are NOT an investment. You are going to spend far far more money than the vehicle is worth. If you ever plan to sell the car or "get out of the game" you are going to lose your ***. That is basically the equivalent of flushing $10k, $20k, or even $30k+ down the toilet. If you are doing it for fun, and you have the excess cash to blow doing it as a hobby great, but don't hop onto a web forum asking for an answer to a question that could cost you 10s of thousands of dollars without doing some research yourself. You are either ludicrously rich and don't care where your money goes, or you probably can't afford it at all.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:23 AM

I highly agree with ToddRhodes and Spazpilot's last comments. There is just no way you can just hop right into the 9's. It comes with LEARNING through (sadly... cuz i don't enjoy it either) RESEARCH and patience and all those things Todd mentioned about. THAT is where you need to start.

Hell start off with just learning the parts and what upgrades do what then go watch a crapton of Youtube Dyno Vids and then Evo's with close to the same setups hitting the strip and WATCH what they run. Like the others said... we havn't even added the "Driver Mod" aka how good you are at running a car down the 1320 yet.

Oh... did anyone mention [I]MONEY[I].... like a 1000 times??? Dude... my setup just broke $12G's from practically stock to now. When its tuned AT BEST on c16 or E85 i'm hoping for 700whp and high 10's.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:25 AM

Sorry but your just dreaming kid.... at least for now until you absorbbb as much as possible, and that's not only reading up on this site.

Talk & meet with a good local shop... one dude mentioned a place 1.5hrs from you. And go spend some time up at STM if thats what you want to do.

Just DO NOT get jumpy on buying what "you think" is the setup you need to go with... that includes things other then turbo setups and forged internals for now.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jesussaves1
What would be the engine mods
Asking this Q and your nick name just tells me that your just trolling.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:56 PM

All you need is money and a good shop. Then someone to drive it, lol.

Quick Reply: High 9 second car