Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is this an authentic AMS intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by importmachine
Thanks guys. I emailed Eric at AMS and he said that it doesn't appear to be one made by them since the 1st gen AMS intercoolers had welded endtanks. I'm glad I did this and asked around before committing to buy this. That would not have been good at all. Thanks for the advice and input everyone.

Edit: Before buying anything do your homework. Research and get 2nd opinions. The extra work could save your butt.
100% not an authentic AMS FMIC, I have an actual original one from them and the end tanks are welded on all edges as well as the mounting tab on top is welded as well.

That is a fake. You can also read this thread about Buschur testing the fakes vs. his which netted some startling temperature issues with the fakes cooling efficiency.

Search this "Ebay intercooler testing from the Pros at Buschur Racing....the facts, the truth"
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Thanks luis, i'll send them an email. Are you the same luis over on Socalevo.net?
Its the same dude. At SCE, he's our wild hi-poster. Over here, he wears a suit
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Definitely an Ebay replica. As others have mentioned the end tanks arent welded. The other dead giveaway for me is the fact that the inlet and outlet are straight whereas the AMS piece has a little curve to it sort of like the stock intercooler.

EDIT: Take a look at this one for currently for sale and see for yourself: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ler-3-5-a.html

Last edited by heel2toe; Sep 24, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this post in the FS section. OP prolly removed it after this thread.

But yeah that's fake due to the inlet and outlets being straight instead of curved downwards.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
100% not an authentic AMS FMIC, I have an actual original one from them and the end tanks are welded on all edges as well as the mounting tab on top is welded as well.

That is a fake. You can also read this thread about Buschur testing the fakes vs. his which netted some startling temperature issues with the fakes cooling efficiency.

Search this "Ebay intercooler testing from the Pros at Buschur Racing....the facts, the truth"
Thanks 06MRV8Killer. I'll check that out. I'm just glad I didn't spend money on this crap.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Its the same dude. At SCE, he's our wild hi-poster. Over here, he wears a suit
hahaha I figured. All professional over here. Luis, be true to yourself and make Evom "Fun" again

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Definitely an Ebay replica. As others have mentioned the end tanks arent welded. The other dead giveaway for me is the fact that the inlet and outlet are straight whereas the AMS piece has a little curve to it sort of like the stock intercooler.

EDIT: Take a look at this one for currently for sale and see for yourself: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ler-3-5-a.html
Thanks heel2toe. Just like you, I question everything. I just noticed the straight inlet and outlet. For me the 1st give away was the number of rows. Every AMS IC i've seen have 15 rows this one has 17 and the position of the stencil. It's crazy to think that I was going to pay about the same price for this fake as the one in that Ad.

Originally Posted by AceCampano
I saw this post in the FS section. OP prolly removed it after this thread. But yeah that's fake due to the inlet and outlets being straight instead of curved downwards.
It must suck to be that guy. Good looking out
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

Real AMS intercooler:

Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks luis, i'll send them an email. Are you the same luis over on Socalevo.net?
Nah man, that guy is a fake!
Haha j/k