Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

FF DD Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FF DD Questions

I like to think that I know a decent amount about cars and modding them but have been stumped about a couple of things that I simply dont understand with forward facing turbo setups ON DAILY DRIVEN CARS ONLY.

Yes, I completely understand that a forward facing turbo will help to cram as much air as possible into the turbo for maximizing power output, BUT for daily driving purposes I dont understand why you would want this setup for a couple of reasons.

1. What do you do when it rains? Do you simply not drive the car?
2. How do you prevent water from getting into the motor?
3. If you run a filter on it, how does this possibly help a FF (besides cleanliness) setup since placement of a filter is pretty much defeating the purpose of being FF?

To me it simply makes zero sense unless you are utilizing a FF setup for drag. I know that people not using a filter sometimes use wire mesh much like, but stronger than, what you would find on a screen door clamped with a worm clamp or the like but this again brings me right back to the very questions I am asking.

How do you DD a FF setup without screwing up the turbo from all the potential dirt, rain, etc or pretty much all the elements and potential crap flying about while driving regardless of whether you have a filter on it or not?

Doesnt make sense and I would like to hear some answers, thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think that anybody that has a FF system daily drives his car, Like you said its mainly to drag race/autox the car. Maybe drive it on a really nice day once a month! But uou can always install some type of filtering media.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

I forget who, but I asked someone about DD'ing their car once being a FF setup and they told me that they just put a filter on it but to me it makes no sense to do it besides drag.

Autox runs too much risk of course debris kicking up and messing up the compressor so I dont think people would do it for that either quite frankly
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

I daily'd my car regardless of the weather.

Dyno'd with filter and without and it didn't make a noticeable difference numbers wise. I know that the car being in motion makes a big difference.

If I'm being 100% honest I did it because i was told it wasn't possible to do with AC.

I did it because i can.

Never had a problem (With motor and turbo setup).
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Let me add I get no shortage of PM's about how to do it what it took, prices, etc.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

If you watch the newest vid of Buschur's 4 speed car, you'll notice an air filter on his FF setup. Obviously can't hurt power that much.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:47 PM

I drive mine all the time my setup works just fine I also don't see a big power lost with or without filter but most of the time I have no filter but run a screen over it my reasons for doing it was just to be different also for drag....but the way I look at it is its your car do whatever you want to it doesn't matter if others like it there not paying for it
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see why a filter defeats the purpose of a FF setup. The turbo is still going to suck down that fresh air at the front of the grill weather it has a filter or not.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

But the filter would look kinda weird sticking out of the bumper! But like Alloutevo9 said, its your car do whatever you want with it.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

My filter doesn't stick out an usually the comments I get are: HOLY S#!T is that a turbo in the front grill. LOL.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

I just saw Buschur's video and it does have a filter and its inside the bumper and looks good. The Bad Bish looks indentical to my evo except for the spoiler and even down to the same decals on the rear windows.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
I don't see why a filter defeats the purpose of a FF setup. The turbo is still going to suck down that fresh air at the front of the grill weather it has a filter or not.
The main purpose of a FF setup is so that the placement of the compressor inlet is such that the force of the vehicle moving will help to push air into the compressor thus resulting in a faster more dense charge not to mention lower air temps due to the air not coming solely from within the engine compartment.

The reason I think that using an air filter defeats the purpose is because once you put the filter on its no longer a straight shot into the compressor and air has to go through, in, and around whatever restrictions are inherent to the filter design.

Yes, I know its to each his own and all of that. That wasnt the point of me asking about this thread.

For daily driving purposes I would be worried about getting caught in the rain with or without a filter, debris from the road, dirt, lovely flying insects and all kinds of stuff ruining a seriously expensive part of my car which could in turn run an entire motor potentially.

Those are my concerns and my thought process so I was/am still interested to hear about peoples experience with running FF for DD purposes both the good, the bad or indifferent.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in all honesty, I just think it looks cool haha. Obviously if that was the only benefit, it wouldnt be worth anyones time.

Ive got a forward facing kit that fits a filter, has an ac system, and runs the factory style evo downpipe. We are currently working on a molded inlet that utilizes a panel filter, thus increasing the surface area for the intake.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

The fact that Buschur's car is filtered is QUITE relevant. You are talking about a shop car trapping 145+(well over 150 when it was 5 speed) on an HTA86. If his car can run like that with a filter, ANY forward facing setup should be able to. The fact that you are drawing in high pressure, fresh air is the main benefit. Aerodynamics dictate the air coming in through that nostril, not just velocity.

As for rain, raindrops would have one hell of a journey, through a high speed compressor, into a heated charge pipe, through your intercooler, then up the other charge pipe, and then into a hot manifold and motor. Individual droplets aren't an issue. Before meth injection and alcohol injection were prevalent, we used to run water injection for temp cooling. Same thing, just done by the cheap DSMers.

Last edited by GotWheelHop; Sep 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

What about the people that has FF kit w "dump tube facing up" on the hood? What if your driving and started to rain? or parked at the mall and when you get out it's raining? I see a few that DD their Evo w dump tube facing up. What do you giys do to prevent the water from coming in?

Quick Reply: FF DD Questions