Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 8 Guru Question!! Front subframe not happy!! ; [

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To the top.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
OK, here's the pic.

Unfortunately, there is no part number for this. It comes with an entire sideframe assembly, which is the entire fender that connects to the main chassis. Only suggestion I can give you is to weld the subframe to the chassis/sideframe. Of course, the stud will still wiggle around so just spot weld it in place and you should be fine.
WTF you cant be serious? you want him to weld the subframe to the car? thats absurd. what i would do and have done in the past to a captured bolt is weld the "bolt" stud to the chassis to prevent it from spinning. lucky for you with this particular stud you dont need to cut an access hole. just take a wire wheel and clean off that hole that is exposing the top of the stud and weld it as best as possible. let me know if i can help any further.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Seanc_wa
WTF you cant be serious? you want him to weld the subframe to the car? thats absurd. what i would do and have done in the past to a captured bolt is weld the "bolt" stud to the chassis to prevent it from spinning. lucky for you with this particular stud you dont need to cut an access hole. just take a wire wheel and clean off that hole that is exposing the top of the stud and weld it as best as possible. let me know if i can help any further.
[I was thinking of the same thing about welding the sub-frame up. I would never in a 100 years do that. I do things correctly not janky.

An access hole is what I want to do, it would be the best way, and that is what I planned on doing from the beginning, I am curious how it came undone in the frame rail, Not really what I expected you know?

What I want to do is, take the required items out of the engine way, create a access port to the stud, clean it up best I can, and weld it, weld up the access port, prime it was etching primer, and paint + clear it. I hope this will take care of the issue, what bothers me though, is the fact the nut is on this, so did it get damaged and can't be tightened anymore?

If you have any other suggestions let me know, I wish it was a bolt and not a stud! ha..
Old Oct 2, 2012, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Obviously, it's if you never plan on removing it and an easier fix to do. Unless you have this problem, I don't really see anyone removing their subframes unless the subframe is crap.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

I guess I'll find out what I need to due soon. A full write will follow my progress.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:21 PM

I would just weld the bolt as is without cutting and access hole. Just place a few tacks around the top and it should be fine
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Red face

Originally Posted by mrg72433
I would just weld the bolt as is without cutting and access hole. Just place a few tacks around the top and it should be fine
What do you mean? Around the bolt? it is a stud with a nut? and also, tacks will not hold... : [
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:00 PM

It's a bolt with a squared head. And yes if the threads are clean welding through that hole in the corner will work fine..
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

It's a bolt with a squared head. And yes if the threads are clean welding through that hole in the corner will work fine..
I will see if I can access that!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It broke because its a "weld nut" it only has a few sections which are actually welded to the frame, its not welded all the way around, this is very common. I have actually seen them break before on other vehicles.

What I would do... Drill like 10-12 small holes around the nut's outer diameter, and basically use rosset type welds to secure it back in place and than grind/sand it flat. That should hold no problem if done correctly.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
It broke because its a "weld nut" it only has a few sections which are actually welded to the frame, its not welded all the way around, this is very common. I have actually seen them break before on other vehicles.

What I would do... Drill like 10-12 small holes around the nut's outer diameter, and basically use rosset type welds to secure it back in place and than grind/sand it flat. That should hold no problem if done correctly.
10 or 12 small access holes? What I was thinking of doing was removing the fender and inner fender on the driver side, and gaining access that way. I would not have to remove any parts from the engine bay, and I would have a lot more room, I guess we will see, your idea can you explain it a little more, and you say maybe that weld nut is tacked like 4 times you think/ Mitsubishi welds break easy from what I have seen in the past if they do it like that still.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOEvolved
10 or 12 small access holes? What I was thinking of doing was removing the fender and inner fender on the driver side, and gaining access that way. I would not have to remove any parts from the engine bay, and I would have a lot more room, I guess we will see, your idea can you explain it a little more, and you say maybe that weld nut is tacked like 4 times you think/ Mitsubishi welds break easy from what I have seen in the past if they do it like that still.
Sure thing, you could probably get away with 8 holes.... A weld nut is 'projection welded', they have these small tangs on the end of the nut which basically get fused into the sheet you are welding to.

I made this attachment for you, basically you drill holes around the nut getting as close to it as possible, then high heat mig weld the hole closed and draw the weld pool into the nut. Do this 8 times evenly and it will secure the nut no problem. Then clean/sand/grind the bearing surface the subframe bolts too on the frame.

... is this the best way? I dunno but its exactly what I would do if I were in your position opposed to cutting holes in the side of the frame or something silly like that to gain access to the top of the nut. If you can't weld it evenly side to side, it will distort the nut.

Keep in mind you'll have to find some way to secure the nut by bolting something to it as you place the first few welds, making sure the nut is level is important.

Hope that helps
-Joe
Attached Thumbnails EVO 8 Guru Question!! Front subframe not happy!! ; [-broken-weld-nut-fix.png  

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Oct 4, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
Sure thing, you could probably get away with 8 holes.... A weld nut is 'projection welded', they have these small tangs on the end of the nut which basically get fused into the sheet you are welding to.

I made this attachment for you, basically you drill holes around the nut getting as close to it as possible, then high heat mig weld the hole closed and draw the weld pool into the nut. Do this 8 times evenly and it will secure the nut no problem. Then clean/sand/grind the bearing surface the subframe bolts too on the frame.

... is this the best way? I dunno but its exactly what I would do if I were in your position opposed to cutting holes in the side of the frame or something silly like that to gain access to the top of the nut. If you can't weld it evenly side to side, it will distort the nut.

Keep in mind you'll have to find some way to secure the nut by bolting something to it as you place the first few welds, making sure the nut is level is important.

Hope that helps
-Joe
The nut you're talking about though inside the frame how do I get to that? I figured if I can cut a little 2x2" square I can gain access to it, see what happened to better understand it, and then fix it, weld a plate and bam I am golden.

That makes sense drilling the holes so I can puddle it up, so I do not distort the nut.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know why everyone is trying to make this so complicated. You can clearly see the top of the bolt through the corner of the plate. If you just turned the heat up and put a ground on the bolt and welded the **** out of the bolt building it up and attaching it to the frame on both sides and it will be solid. Yes I agree drilling holes would work but I don't think its necessary. Just my opinion.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

2nd thought that would be even easier. IF you have access to an air ratchet. Wedge a big screw driver/pry bar in between the nut and the sub frame putting tension on the bolt. Then crank on it with the air ratchet. Sometimes that is enough to let the nut start moving up. Once there is tension on the bolt and the frame the tighter the nut gets the more tension is on the bolt and you should be able to get it tightened up. This might or might not work but I have done it in several different scenarios.

Quick Reply: EVO 8 Guru Question!! Front subframe not happy!! ; [