Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 8 Guru Question!! Front subframe not happy!! ; [

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOEvolved
The nut you're talking about though inside the frame how do I get to that? I figured if I can cut a little 2x2" square I can gain access to it, see what happened to better understand it, and then fix it, weld a plate and bam I am golden.

That makes sense drilling the holes so I can puddle it up, so I do not distort the nut.
That's the thing, you don't get to it from inside the frame, everything I mentioned is outside of the frame from the bottom side (where the subframe mounts to the frame).
Old Oct 5, 2012, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
That's the thing, you don't get to it from inside the frame, everything I mentioned is outside of the frame from the bottom side (where the subframe mounts to the frame).
So you're saying the stud itself where it meet the frame weld there? Why would going into the frame be a bad idea ?

I am sorry if I can't understand what you were saying >,<
Old Oct 5, 2012, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Basically... I'm giving you an option to not go inside the boxed frame by cutting it and then having to patch it back up just to gain access to the nut. Ultimately its up to you, I gave you my perspective.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HUGE update, the problem has been fixed. I found out what type of design Mitsubishi uses to bolt to the stud. The stud itself is free moving, it has a [square head] and it is in a slightly larger but not too large square boxing. This allows the stud to move a little but when turning the nut onto the bolt it lock because it goes on all four corners. What I figured happened was the previous owner did the clutch, may have dropped the front sub--frame and when reinstalling it used a impact and drove the sub frame up with that nut.

This would eventually allow the [square part of the studs head to give way and become (rounded). This diagram I made, sorry I am not an artist will help a little.

AS you can see from the points I labeled, points A,B,C, and D of the studs head is what was rounded, so by welding some material in that square housing the stud was able to catch on that, and we're all back to perfect

To fix it we cut a small access point into the frame, we ere able to get to the area, and weld around, but not the stud, just a little filler to have that stud grab and work as it should.

Though I would just follow up, if anyone ever wondered if this can be fixed with ease it can be, if you take your time and it right the first time.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you post some pictures of where you cut please.

I just had this same problem happen or just noticed it.