Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 8 Guru Question!! Front subframe not happy!! ; [

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post EVO 8 Guru Question!! Front subframe not happy!! ; [

I have looked everywhere, and honestly, I need a professional point of view on this presentiment I am in.

Problem:

My front sub frame - PART #1 on this list, I am not sure how many exactly bolts/studs hold it into place, but I just heard a clunking noise when I go over any type of road surface that is not flat,it is not just bumps, its about everything. I got under the car to find there is a stud that comes down from the frame and then through the sub frame and then a nut is fastened to it to secure it. The nut is not flush against the sub frame, I would say it is down about 1/4 inch, and I can wiggle the bolt and stud.. What happened?

I put the 19MM on it and the stud just spins.. I am curious how that stud is mounted in the frame rail, and why this happened? If anyone has an idea on this, it would greatly help me.

What I think i have to do: Lets be realistic about this. The fact that the stud is spinning is not good at all. I am pretty sure I will have to drill into the frame rail ,and find out why the stud is spinning, maybe the nut that is welded inside the frame rail is broken off, I am not sure the way Mitsubishi secured the stud in the frame rail i have been looking for pictures with little to no success. I do things correctly and effectively to bring any car I won back to OEM, or better, thanks for reading!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Up. Any ideas ?

Last edited by EVOEvolved; Sep 30, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOEvolved
Up. Any ideas ?
None, but if it were me, I'd find a lift and drop the subframe, then weld the stud into place from the underside w/o drilling through the chassis. I would then enlarge the hole in the top of the subframe to accommodate the weld, this will not hurt the stud or how it bolts together. I would then reassemble everything with success.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
None, but if it were me, I'd find a lift and drop the subframe, then weld the stud into place from the underside w/o drilling through the chassis. I would then enlarge the hole in the top of the subframe to accommodate the weld, this will not hurt the stud or how it bolts together. I would then reassemble everything with success.
Dropping the sub-frame down, do I just hold the motor and transmission from a chain fall? Would that be the easiest thing to do?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Dropping the sub-frame down, do I just hold the motor and transmission from a chain fall? Would that be the easiest thing to do?
Engine and transmission are supported buy the chassis not the subframe. You will only have to remove the rear transmission mount, axels springs/shocks, tie rods, cross member, front engine mount etc.. If your not mechanically inclined or have no idea of what your getting into I suggest having a shop or professional do the job for you.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Engine and transmission are supported buy the chassis not the subframe. You will only have to remove the rear transmission mount, axels springs/shocks, tie rods, cross member, front engine mount etc.. If your not mechanically inclined or have no idea of what your getting into I suggest having a shop or professional do the job for you.
Oh alright. I haven't owned the EVO for too long, im on my 37th cars few Supra's S2000's etc. Doing it won't be an issue at all. I do all my own work on my cars.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Oh alright. I haven't owned the EVO for too long, im on my 37th cars few Supra's S2000's etc. Doing it won't be an issue at all. I do all my own work on my cars.
Sounds good, GL and feel free to pm me with any questions you may have.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Wink

Sounds good, GL and feel free to pm me with any questions you may have.
Yep, I am ere at school ( Ferris State) I am going to take apart some stuff in the engine bay to see what I am working with.

and thanks I will let you know!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The stud is inside the chassis. It isn't welded to the chassis at all. The head of the stud is a square and the chassis keeps that stud from spinning. You can push the stud up but it shouldn't be spinning. I can take a pic of it when I get home.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
The stud is inside the chassis. It isn't welded to the chassis at all. The head of the stud is a square and the chassis keeps that stud from spinning. You can push the stud up but it shouldn't be spinning. I can take a pic of it when I get home.
Please do! And thank you fro that explanation. By any chance is there a part number, or do you have this stud out of the car? Thanks so much, Ill post pic's for everyone of the location so they can see!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Alright this is the stud with the nut Ia m talking about it free spins, has anyone had this issue before..?

Also from the bottom of the lower control arm with this access port is I took a picture as well. Sorry the photos are not that great I did this without the car being jacked up, and I am currently at school, so I was able to disassemble a few things from the engine bay to get the first picture that was taken. Any ideas, or suggestions would be nice

Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, here's the pic.

Unfortunately, there is no part number for this. It comes with an entire sideframe assembly, which is the entire fender that connects to the main chassis. Only suggestion I can give you is to weld the subframe to the chassis/sideframe. Of course, the stud will still wiggle around so just spot weld it in place and you should be fine.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

^ that is very unfortunate that you have to buy an entire piece or whatever, I plan on opening up the frame right there and fixing it and seeing what happened : [

Anyone ever have this issue?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Last edited by Migsubishi; Oct 2, 2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Nvm
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

I was just curious to see if anyone has run into this personally

Quick Reply: EVO 8 Guru Question!! Front subframe not happy!! ; [