Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AWD / Differential Explanation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2004, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD / Differential Explanation

As I was sitting there watching my front left tire spin in 1" of snow I started daydreaming about the evo (again). It prompted me to do a search to learn how the AWD system in the EVO works along with the Differentials. Of course I came to the EvoM site, but I did not find exactly what I was looking for.

What I understand so far is that there is a center diff and a rear diff (and a front diff on the RS). So my question basically boils down to this: If I am stuck in the snow how many wheels will be trying to drive me forward (or reverse as the case may be)?

My first guess at an answer is three. The center diff will split power front/rear and the rear diff will split rear right/ rear left. So I will have power to both rear wheels and one of the fronts.

I would love to know if my answer is correct and maybe get a more technical explanation from some of the evo guru's lurking around here. I am not afraid of big words, let me have it.

Nape (ready for AWD)
Old Feb 5, 2004, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

First of all, the Evo has a front differential. It's just not limited-slip, it's open (unless you get the RS).

3 wheels is sort of correct. If one front wheel loses traction, it will spin and the other will stay still. The problem is that the spinning front wheel doesn't have traction and the stationary front wheel is the one that does.

Last edited by ru4real; Feb 5, 2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of a good web site to learn more about how the different types of differentials work?

Thanks,

Nape
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:59 PM

www.howstuffworks.com