Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bolt on advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey
This is the path that I've walked and have found to be very successful at getting me some good gains i.e 395hp on VD for my Evo9.

Lite spec titanium exhaust (catback) from litespec, look out for specials, should be around $750 shipped to you. Great sounding exhaust and beautifully made.

A high flow cat (100cel) or test pipe. I went with a tomika cat to keep things legal.

A three inch front pipe (O2 housing to cat). I just used a locally made one (meek in Sydney)

A grimmspeed boost controller so I can use the ecu to get fine control over my boost levels (when I say me I mean my tuner)

Walbro 255

Ets lower intercooler pipe, nice fit and makes a difference to spool if not outright power.

I use a pod filter on a metal suction pipe, hks I think. Something like this or a high flow filter for the standard airbox.

This is important- get a GOOD tune. I had Tom from TSCOMP do mine, this made the biggest difference to my car, you will need a way to monitor your A/F ratios, I use a innovate setup, and the cables to allow a interface between you ob2 port and a laptop. Do this, it is important!

I'm about to jump on a manifold (prob toxicfab), some injectors (fic 1100) and an O2 dump/housing. These are not needed, IMO, until your over 400hp but will give me some room if I want to change out my turbo down the track.

All this stuff is for my Evo 9 but would apply to your VII as well bar some cams, maybe some kelford 272's ?

As far as vendors I bought from and had trouble with most of the big vendors on EvoM including having the wrong stuff sent and waiting weeks for shipment to be sent, I've heard good things about Tiago at VRSF so he will probably be the next company I buy from. hope this helps. Cheers

Last edited by Fireescape; Oct 20, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fireescape
Hey
This is the path that I've walked and have found to be very successful at getting me some good gains i.e 395hp on VD for my Evo9.

Lite spec titanium exhaust (catback) from litespec, look out for specials, should be around $750 shipped to you. Great sounding exhaust and beautifully made.

A high flow cat (100cel) or test pipe. I went with a tomika cat to keep things legal.

A three inch front pipe (O2 housing to cat). I just used a locally made one (meek in Sydney)

A grimmspeed boost controller so I can use the ecu to get fine control over my boost levels (when I say me I mean my tuner)

Walbro 255

Ets lower intercooler pipe, nice fit and makes a difference to spool if not outright power.

I use a pod filter on a metal suction pipe, hks I think. Something like this or a high flow filter for the standard airbox.

This is important- get a GOOD tune. I had Tom from TSCOMP do mine, this made the biggest difference to my car, you will need a way to monitor your A/F ratios, I use a innovate setup, and the cables to allow a interface between you ob2 port and a laptop. Do this, it is important!

I'm about to jump on a manifold (prob toxicfab), some injectors (fic 1100) and an O2 dump/housing. These are not needed, IMO, until your over 400hp but will give me some room if I want to change out my turbo down the track.

All this stuff is for my Evo 9 but would apply to your VII as well bar some cams, maybe some kelford 272's ?

As far as vendors I bought from and had trouble with most of the big vendors on EvoM including having the wrong stuff sent and waiting weeks for shipment to be sent, I've heard good things about Tiago at VRSF so he will probably be the next company I buy from. hope this helps. Cheers
Thanks for the advice.

The problem i'm finding though is that a lot of the products are only described as Evo 8 & 9 and won't include Evo 7s.

I've made contact with ETS to see if they can help with a LICP but does anyone know any good brands/reliable sources for an EVO 7 suited full TBE O2 housing included?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blitz VII
The problem i'm finding though is that a lot of the products are only described as Evo 8 & 9 and won't include Evo 7s.
I think that happens a bit in the states because the VII's were never officially imported, only the 8 and 9. From looking around EvoM 7's seem quite rare and there doesn't seem to be as much grey importing going on as here (Australia) and NZ. As far as I know stuff that fits an 8 or 9 will fit a 7 as well, except for stuff like the 9,s cams (mivec). Maybe someone can chime in and comment if I'm wrong on this.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Im shocked no one asked him what are his goals...
First off we need to know how much power you want to run
Is this your daily driver or race car?
Are you planning to run pump or e-85

I have an evo 8 I plan on pushing to 350
Mods
Evo IX turbo
Ebay Tbe 3"
Ebay O2 housing
Injen intercooler piping + intake
BC 272 cams
255 walbro
Arp headstuds
Hallman Mbc
Evo IX diverter valve

If i port the manifold and get a bigger turbo my setup should get me to 450-500hp but a turbo = 2k plus
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven121
I, for one, didn't have a real idea of what I wanted as far as power output. I just bought some stuff that seemed necessary i.e Breathing in and out parts, got a tune, and hoped for the best. I would think that most people in the op's position wouldn't say "I want 365 hp and 350 ft lb of torque, I'll need to buy this exhaust and this fuel pump" etc
IMO most people just buy the best bits they can afford or have read good reviews on, get a tune, and hope for the best. It's not until you start going down the "I want 600hp so I'll need a FP black turbo and 1250 injectors and a double pumper and a built motor and transmission and a dual or triple clutch etc" that the output you want needs to be matched to specific buying requirements. Just a thought.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by steven121
First off we need to know how much power you want to run
Is this your daily driver or race car?
Are you planning to run pump or e-85

I have an evo 8 I plan on pushing to 350
Mods
Evo IX turbo
Ebay Tbe 3"
Ebay O2 housing
Injen intercooler piping + intake
BC 272 cams
255 walbro
Arp headstuds
Hallman Mbc
Evo IX diverter valve

If i port the manifold and get a bigger turbo my setup should get me to 450-500hp but a turbo = 2k plus
I'm looking to reach 330-350, Yes it will be my daily and unfortuantely I can't get E85 where I live

Your mods sound pretty much what I plan to do, I think i'll stay away from changing the cams for the imediate future just due to the cost that will come with changing them.

May I ask what brand, or possible link me, of TBE and O2 housing you got? How do you rate it?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Now you can get ethanol wherever you live
http://www.maperformance.com/55-gall...cing-fuel.html

Damn I didn't realize you're in Australia. Pay up on shipping and it's yours

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Oct 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:09 AM

bumping for any recommendations on good TBE/LICPs available on Ebay/other online stores
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:42 AM

You can get most of these parts in Auckland. Where about in Auckland are you?
I got an Evo 9 with afew bolt ons, right now my car is around 260kws to the wheels.
Try Redline Performance they got most of the parts you need.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

not too sure about LICP but im sure ebay has plenty.
TBE - really depends what you want, loud / quiet, different note. there are some on ebay, such as HKS / greddy , i think tomei and fujitsubo as well.. depends on what sound you want + budget.. also with exhausts try any local car sites (in aus esp in melb, www.firesport.com is quite popular) - look for cheap second hand ones?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally what's ur hp goal?? If in the near future u want a turbo upgrade I'd recommend a new exhaust main and 02 housing at that time. I'd do a downpipe back exhaust licp, your fuel upgrades. An intercooler if an eventual goal is over 400. And if possible cams springs retainers n studs. And a tune you'll about max out your setup on your stock snail. But again what's your budget and are you installing these parts yourself.....??? Most can be done with basic hand tools..... So a few questions? Budget? Eventual bigger turbo? Hp goal?? Gas type your going to use..? Answer those then the best mods to fit your build....personally I'd start small, because once your bug gets bit, 10 to 15k isn't out of the ordinary with our setups on here...... Good luck happy boosting.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blitz VII
I'm looking to reach 330-350, Yes it will be my daily and unfortuantely I can't get E85 where I live

Your mods sound pretty much what I plan to do, I think i'll stay away from changing the cams for the imediate future just due to the cost that will come with changing them.

May I ask what brand, or possible link me, of TBE and O2 housing you got? How do you rate it?
if you go to ebay.com type in evo 8 exhuast in the search bar you should see it for around $200.00 free shipping, all though I had an issue with the downpipe not fitting correctly, but the test pipe back sounds really good actually, and you can always cut the muffler off and weld a new one for a more deeper sound if you wanted to "ebay packing isnt that great but still sounds aggressive"

if the down pipe worked I would give a 9 since its not a brand name,
but right now I give it a 6 becuase I have an exhaust leak with my stock downpipe being to small for the new exhaust, once I get a downpipe it will fix the leak.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elim0
not too sure about LICP but im sure ebay has plenty.
TBE - really depends what you want, loud / quiet, different note. there are some on ebay, such as HKS / greddy , i think tomei and fujitsubo as well.. depends on what sound you want + budget.. also with exhausts try any local car sites (in aus esp in melb, www.firesport.com is quite popular) - look for cheap second hand ones?
I should have went with the ebay LICP, its made out of mild steel which means it will rust, but if you spray paint with a protective coat it will work just fine either way, the brand names are made of aluminum and are a TAD lighter, but its not that big of a weight issue when it comes to raising power or lowering your times with a huge gain
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:32 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

I'm probably late but the UICP on IX is not as beneficial as the LICP. Vise versa for the X's.