Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bolt on advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bolt on advice

Hey everyone,

Well i'm quite keen to do a number of bolt on mods to my recently purchased evo vii, but being from New Zealand a lot of the parts that EvoM promote aren't readily available from stores here...

So my question is, would some of you mind recommending some good brands of the bolt ons listed below in which I can order online and get shipped internationally?

The mods i'm currently looking at doing are:

TBE
O2 Housing
LICP
Exhaust Manifold
Fuel Injectors (roughly 800cc)
Fuel Pump (Will be getting the Walbro 255HP, just need to find a good source)

So far i've found a few stores online that will sell these, but i'm wondering if there are any other people in a similar situations who have had good experience with ordering some of the above products online.

Cheers

Side note....any other kiwis out there?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:27 PM

You would want a UICP than the LICP. You also might need an intake. Downpipe. Test pipe. More affordable and easier hp gain than the exhaust mani and LICP.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by shLa11
You would want a UICP than the LICP. You also might need an intake. Downpipe. Test pipe. More affordable and easier hp gain than the exhaust mani and LICP.
From what I have seen the stock UICP doesn't have any flow issues, only the LICP that is quite constrictive so changing it can give good gains?

When I say TBE, I mean the full package, so yea I would want a Test pipe etc

I've already got a aftermarket intake and i'm wanting to change the exhaust manifold because a previous owner put an external wastegate on it and i'd prefer to tidy it up whilst getting some gains.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

You would want a UICP than the LICP.
No you should get the LICP and then UICP if even.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by veilside prius
No you should get the LICP and then UICP if even.
The plan is just for the LICP
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:38 PM

As far as I know, or correct me if I'm wrong, you can't really see a gain from the LICP.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

As far as I know, or correct me if I'm wrong, you can't really see a gain from the LICP.
Im pretty sure thats just on the X. On the X the stock licp flows and the uicp is the restrictor. Its the opposite on the 8/9.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

You're wrong. You see the most gains from a LICP the uicp is mostly for looks and if you want a run a different BOV. Honestly get 1000cc injectors that way if you decided to run E85 you can!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:22 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hiner005
You're wrong. You see the most gains from a LICP the uicp is mostly for looks and if you want a run a different BOV. Honestly get 1000cc injectors that way if you decided to run E85 you can!

Maybe 3whp on a stock-ish car. Maybe. On a car like ours it's not even a relevantly quantifiable number. And, you give up the factory brackets, factory reliability, factory design and execution. All this for what?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

peak whp gains on a stock-ish car aren't worth measuring...LICP is more about improved transient response
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:30 AM

This thread has gotten way out in left field with bad advice...OP i think the mods you listed are a good start that pretty much covers the evos weak spots...if it has any, After those mods i would look into some cams (I love my kelford 272s) And a tune
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:30 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jvlazzar
peak whp gains on a stock-ish car aren't worth measuring...LICP is more about improved transient response
Is that what the sales guy told you?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:35 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blitz VII
Hey everyone,

Well i'm quite keen to do a number of bolt on mods to my recently purchased evo vii, but being from New Zealand a lot of the parts that EvoM promote aren't readily available from stores here...

So my question is, would some of you mind recommending some good brands of the bolt ons listed below in which I can order online and get shipped internationally?

The mods i'm currently looking at doing are:

TBE
O2 Housing Not going to do much for you and decrease reliability
LICP same as above
Exhaust Manifold pointless on a stock-ish car
Fuel Injectors (roughly 800cc) You don't really need this
Fuel Pump (Will be getting the Walbro 255HP, just need to find a good source)

So far i've found a few stores online that will sell these, but i'm wondering if there are any other people in a similar situations who have had good experience with ordering some of the above products online.

Cheers

Side note....any other kiwis out there?
Comments in bold. This is the basic mod path for a VIII: IX DV, fuel pump, TBE, MBC and a tune. Good luck.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

since you already have an intake, a TBE would be the next mod to get to see most gains. LICP > UICP . you wont need bigger injectors if you are running the stock turbo. after market mani isnt needed unless running a more serious setup. fuel pump is a must. also cams could be a nice upgrade as well (love my 272s too !), maybe just the shafts, springs would be good but wont b really needed on a stock turbo either.. and def a boost controller AND a tune it to maximize reliability and power output of the mods.

depending on your budget ebay has some decent stores that sell exhausts, otherwise possibly look at importing etc from jpn/aus/us
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by denver89
This thread has gotten way out in left field with bad advice...OP i think the mods you listed are a good start that pretty much covers the evos weak spots...if it has any, After those mods i would look into some cams (I love my kelford 272s) And a tune
Haha agreed, it has got off topic a bit...

So back to my question has anyone got some recommendations for the mods i've listed that I can get online? Bearing in mind my evo is an Evo VII not VIII

My priority mods are the TBE, LICP and fuel pump

Quick Reply: Bolt on advice