Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fuel Cut/Rev Limiter - Educate me please

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Cut/Rev Limiter - Educate me please

Tonight, for the first time since I've owned my Evo i took it out for a hard spirited run through some back roads. I had my brother with me and as I'm in the process of the drive, i shifted to third gear and he turns up the volume to a deafening level.

I continued through the same gear but i hadn't realized i was at such a high RPM. I attribute this to me concentrating on the road and being momentarily deaf from the music (so i couldn't hear the engine). I felt the car hesitate once and I immediately looked at my cluster and saw I was reving past 7k (i couldn't tell the exact rpm) then it hesitated again while i was looking and i engaged the clutch and shifted to fourth.

To describe the hesitation the car made; it felt like i was accelerating and the car wouldn't go anymore. I guess it was as if the clutch was slipping. Mind you this hesitation i speak of all happened in less than a second before i shifted.

Can you advise me as to what happened here? Is this because i hit the rev limiter, fuel cut, or both? Did i do any harm to my car? What should i look for with regards to damage. Also The car drove normal afterwards and i didn't smell anything funny. Even though everything appears to be fine with the evo, I'm terrified to say the least.

Last edited by importmachine; Oct 31, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitting the fuel cut/rev limiter generally results in a feeling like you suddenly hit a wall, as well as (in my car anyhow) obvious loud exhaust noise (almost a backfire in my car).

Fuel cut is usually based on too high of boost, high egt, knock etc... Whereas rev limiter is caused by reving too high.

As long as you don't hit fuel cut/ rev limiter often, it shouldn't damage your car, however, I would not make a habit of it.

I would be willing to bet that your car is fine, no need to be terrified or worried at this point.

Last edited by RoMeIX; Oct 31, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:57 AM

Might be clutch slip. Is your car tuned or has the rev limit been adjusted on it?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

Details on car would help. if its stock then I wouldn't worry, thats what the rev limiter is for. If its tuned or improperly modded it could be a problem. Take it to 7k again and if it cuts before 7400 then let us know.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoMeIX
Hitting the fuel cut/rev limiter generally results in a feeling like you suddenly hit a wall, as well as (in my car anyhow) obvious loud exhaust noise (almost a backfire in my car).

Fuel cut is usually based on too high of boost, high egt, knock etc... Whereas rev limiter is caused by reving too high.

As long as you don't hit fuel cut/ rev limiter often, it shouldn't damage your car, however, I would not make a habit of it.

I would be willing to bet that your car is fine, no need to be terrified or worried at this point.
Thanks for the insight RoMeIX. It definitely had me feeling uneasy as this was the 1st time it happened. For sure it won't be happening again.

Originally Posted by Evopwnd
Might be clutch slip. Is your car tuned or has the rev limit been adjusted on it?
Thanks Evopwned, I doubt it was a slipping clutch at that high an RPM in 3rd though. My car has never been tuned. It retains the Factory tune.

Originally Posted by icmanevo
Details on car would help. if its stock then I wouldn't worry, thats what the rev limiter is for. If its tuned or improperly modded it could be a problem. Take it to 7k again and if it cuts before 7400 then let us know.
Thanks icmanevo, No the car has never been tuned so i suppose it still retains the stock rev limiter. The only engine mod is a K&N drop in filter.