Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Back, before most of you were born I was driving a '78 Trans Am. This was a great handling car and on its 70 series tires I think it would hang with an Evo. But, I lived where there is winter. The TA could get stuck on a couple of ice cubes.

Chrysler started building a sporty 2-door with a turbo charged K-Car engine. I thought I wanted one of these with front wheel drive traction. Then I saw a guy with one stuck in a snowbank. Three pedestrians came along and pushed the guy out, the driver thanked them, the pedestrians walked off and the guy was still stuck. So much for that idea.

Then the AWD 1st generation DSM came along. I happened to buy one of the best of those cars, a 6-4 combo, a car with the good engine and the good rear end. Only a few were made. Still, to keep my DSM running I had the wrenches out most of the time. The only thing I think I never had out of the car was the engine block.

In the mean time I test drove a WRX. This was before the STI came here. That car obviously needed some serious suspension upgrades.

With all that DSM wrenching experience I figured some of that would carry over to an Evo. Instead all I have ever had to do is routine maintenance.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I felt like subi's were over complicated, more expensive( atleast to mod) and I had built a number of dsm's in the past. I figured I'd stick to what I know. I'm glad I made the right choice.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:23 AM

i would always ride around in my friends 8 and one day he let me drive it. i was hooked.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:26 AM

4g63
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:28 AM

Easy answer for me, I switched from a WRX to an EVO for looks and performance.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

I previously had a EJ25 swapped WRX before. Pain in the *** to work on, always seemed like there was something going wrong with it. You looked at it wrong and it didn't want to drive like you wanted it to. Evo is such an easier platform to mod, drives better, & more reliable with power. Though I will admit, I love the way a boxer engine sounds with the unequal length header. All in all - Evo>STi
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:01 AM

Had 2 Sti. First one was just suspension mods, 2nd was rotated 35r. I loved the power of the big turbo, but I did oil every 2k and plugs every 4k. After about a year of that I said enough is enough. Even though Id gotten down to about 45 minutes for a plug change/compression test it was still a huge pain. The evo makes more power easier. That made my decision- oh and some heckling from Emery and the crew at STM.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

At time of my purchase, it was the objective comparo by multiple magazines, Evo always edges Sti at least a point.

Last edited by 4G63 T; Nov 3, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:44 AM

Evos been my dream car since we saw it in the states in 03. I also worked at a shop where we tuned and worked on Evos and subarus and that was enough for me. I am also a Dsm owner so that helps. Plus I get told all the time how sick my Evo is and when I'm in my buddies sti it doesn't happen very often. And I love the power.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

the 4G63 engine
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Before I even knew anything about Evo's really I loved how they looked and loved the sound. No other car sounds quite the same as a lopey 4G63. I had driven a couple of STi's and I liked them alright, but the Evo was always a big notch higher on my wish list. Then I started reading up a lot on time attack and over and over saw one car out there killing it.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to say the first time I saw the evo I wasn't impressed. Then again, no car really does it anymore.

I was in the market for an STI and test drove it. went around a turn and it had so much front end push i thought i was going to go straight.

Just so happens, my friends dealer had this evo(now mine). I drove it and was hooked.

Plus, anyone hear of a 300K mile STI???
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Suby - If you want to look fast
Evo - if you want to go fast
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
^ yes

They're very comparable on paper but the Evo just brings the total package together much better than the STi. Whenever I drove a STi it rarely felt like it was performing to potential or as I was expecting. And its a struggle to make a STi perform well. Evos just feel like they're always giving you more than the sum of its parts. You just have to drive the two to feel what facts on paper can't tell you.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
4 Door, 4G63 Motor, Lots of Aftermarket Parts Available, But The NUMBER one Thing was that the Evo Is a sharp looking car/Beautiful and love the design of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI