Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because there aren't two evos on every street.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Well:

1. The evo just looks like its about to kick your ***.
2. Mod friendliness
3. 4g63T is a tested and proven engine that has been around for a while now.
4. Finally, there is just something about the evo that other sports cars don't have.

-pal215
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:25 AM

Coming from an STi owner who is looking to get into an EVO,

evo engine's respond much better to performance modifications (if you're in to that kind of stuff)
evo's aren't everywhere, sti's are.
handling is a lot better in an evo, seats are better as well.
anything maintenance wise is a lot easier as well, since the sti has a boxer layout, it makes anything 10x harder than it should be.

Basically, lets say you put an sti against an evo stock for stock, you spent 10k in the same upgrades, the evo will outperform the sti.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:38 AM

Well, the cars that I was looking into buying before I bought my Evo. All in the same sports car segment, which I am sure alot of people here may agree on. M3 03-06, Really nice cars. More expensive to maintain, More expensive to Tune, and not as realiable. C5 Corvette, Great car but out of the question when you have a family + gas guzzler. 350z Nice car, too common, and no back seats. G35, too slow and heavy. MS6 and MS3, Nice but too plain and will need alot of mods to compete with the Evo. Sti, great looks, great daily, but not reliable when making more power than stock. Evo = Best bang for the buck. From Factory, FMIC, Carbon Fiber Wing, Aluminum Fenders and Roof. Great Interior = always complimented. Tried and True 4G63 = One tough Mudder. Many Generations of fine tuning has given us perfection. The best part, Evo Community. I feel the love from everyone who has one or wants to own one.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

before i got my evo8 i also had the golf GTi/r32 and the Mazda 3 MPS or mazdaspeed 3 in mind as well. all of these had 4 doors and turbo and the r32 golf has awd, but the evo is the only one that has all of them (4dr, awd, turbo, manual). despite that the reason i went with the evo was because ever since i was a teenager i had always loved evos and the deciding factor was when my cousin asked me if "id ever regret it if i drove a golf/mazdaMPS and saw an evo, or if i drove the evo and saw the others"
despite the headaches and dramas my car has given me, when i drive past a mazda3 MPS or golf i dont regret my decision one bit.

other factors: i heard 4g63 was a very strong block and could hold up to around 300kw standard and was almost unbreakable lol ! .. though now ive also heard the transfer case is quite delicate ~ lol
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

I rememeber back when I was in middle school the evo 8 came to the states. I thought it was the coolest car ever. I told myself maybe by the time i'm 30 I could get one. Well, I graduated High school an entire year early and got a great job at a dealership. I was 18 and a 03 AS eov 8 came in with 50k on it. Very mild mods. Because I was making good money I was able to buy it.

I had driven both the wrx and sti before I bought the evo. The most I ever did before my test drive was ride in one. I knew the evo was for me.

Also I like the evo WAY MORE for the fact of it's simplicity. The sti seems more like every other car with its acomadations. The evo is just kinda bare inside with no cruise control or anything like that. I love that about it.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

had a supercharged stang gt, a 98 m3, and now this. it was a tough choice but i love the evos MEAN looks, the sti looks like well a bug lol.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:13 AM

10 minute spark plug swap vs a 40 minute spark plug swap lol. I have a thing for mitsu's and the 4g63.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:46 AM

I didnt own and extensive collection of beanies and scarffs, so the sti was out for me. Plus Im a dsm guy so Ive got a soft spot for a 4g63. And anyone who says the subaru is the best sounding car has yet to hear a 4g63 on 30 psi....
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

evos are ferrari and lambo killer in $30k. name any other cars on this planet that can do this. i'll buy it toady.

you take the wing off, you're a sleeper sedan with all the drivability you want. you can keep your block 287hp or you can build it to 800hp.

my best friend has an subby. its a nice car. but evo owners are different. we are different.

like someone above said. you want to look fast you go sti. but if you want to go fast and steady and reliable, you go evo.

but eitherway. i think evos still look better than sti's.

i had an X. but was total due to a freak accident where another girl hit me while she was goign the wrong way on the highway.

now i have an viii. both are awesome.

owning a subby never entered my mind once. never even care to test drive one.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:07 PM

Thank you for Reminding me about the GTI/GLI=fun but a conservative fun, in which you see one on the road and it doesn't make you take a second look. Mustang= American Classic = way to many on the road=price depreciates too quick.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:10 PM

I had a wrx, fun car, not too hard to work on..but i chose the evo to be different nd it jus looks better than the new subies...but then i went with the ralliart becoz difference in my insurance was rediculous...not gonna spend an extra $300 a month for a evo wen ins premium goes down $200 with the ralliart...but i still dream about having a 22b sti..hahaha
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:16 PM

I was looking for a Fun, RELIABLE, and FAST car that i can brings my friends along in the summer or the winter!!!!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:21 PM

I had 2 2006 mazdaspeed 6's, 04 330ci zhp, mk4 r32, 2005 sti and now an 2005 evo 8 mr.. The two speeds, r32 and sti compared to the evo are nothing. Love the car. With simple bolt ons and tune im daily driving 340awhp on 26 psi.. its completely reliable and you simply cannot push that on stock internals turbo on any other car. Amazing car, if i would of test drove one right away would of owned one all this time instead of making my way up.

Only con i have to say is no cruise control lol my commute is all freeway so kinda blows.

Love the car, will definetely think twice before selling.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Had a lancer es turboed it to simulate me having an evo was able to get it to stock evo 8 factory hp.
Then sold it to buy a cobra mustang because I thought I could buy an evo but came up short. Hated the space and the bad mpg + not really a good vacation car for the friends
Sold that car in 2 months of having it and finally bought my evo 8, its a little beat up compared to my old cobra looking brand new. But with a little work the evo 8 will be a nice car later down the road and with it being my dream car I will be keeping it for ages until I cant buy parts for it anymore

Evo 8 is overall better similar to the lancer es so If I need to fix something or tune it I know how

Quick Reply: What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI