Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend had a WRX so I went with the Evo. Glad I did.

1. In terms of their looks they have aged very well.

2. Maintenance is pretty straight forward.

3. Very reliable - I'm at 140,000 miles (with mods) and no problems.

4. Still terrifies people on the street and still gets respect. I still get egged on by M3s, M5s and AMGs (and I still win.)

5. And yes, they are becoming more rare by the day.

I love the STi and I may purchase one in the future as a daily. But almost 10 years later I am very glad I purchased my Evo. It has stood the test of time very well.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Didn't buy an sti because a few of ny friends bought them, I liked them but those cars sit a lot due to breakin certain parts. And there aftermarket availability on certain parts are less then ours. So I'd say my other reasons for my evo over an sti, $/hp is way better less stuff needed to make more power, less understeer from factory compared to sti, engine itself is better built and handles higher hp better, oh a top mount here in cali where in summer its over 100 ambient, yea a top mount don't like that so front mount was a plus. Besides when I think of stis I think there a girls car legs spread the same way the pistons and rods do. Hahaha
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:44 PM

Current STi driver right now.

I am too thinking of getting an EVO 2010+ if my current STi is totaled from the hurricane Sandy. I am waiting on the insurance guy to come Monday and he will let me know. Like others have said: "If you want to look fast get a STi, if you want to go fast get an EVO."

It's scary and hard to mod the STi, I don't want to touch it I feel that one thing you mess up brings everything else along with it. :X
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Evos werent allowed in Canada when I was first looking. An STI was in my sights until I heard the ban was lifted. I Picked up an EVO because it trumps an STI in most ways But most of all, I loved how unique/rare it was and is in Canada
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:40 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought the STi felt less direct, less connected. It wasn't as raw and as thrilling to drive, not as easy to point and shoot. This being said, if there were no Evo, you'd be talking to me on IWSTI at this very moment.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:23 AM

i just sold my 07 sti with 75k. it was great for a daily and i had no issues with it at all. i never modded it past a catless exhaust and tune for power mods. i wanted to go further and knew the problems associated with doing so. a few of my friends are 2 and 3 engines deep into their 400hp buiilds. i didnt want to go through that so i swapped sides.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:25 PM

over an STI for me was the looks, exterior especially. but once i started looking i like the evo interior a lot more. now that i have put some $ into the engine i think there is a lot more potential with less $ in the evo. and last but not least, there are a lot less evos around than STIs
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:48 PM

Cuz of the wicked white. End up getting a graphite grey tho. Nah its cuz ill be owning a piece of history when its all said n done
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:10 AM

initially was due to the price i bought mine for (12k). then i discovered the strengths that it had over the subies. aka the glass-like drivetrain, engine design simplicity, power capabilities while still being reliable for dd, etc etc
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:11 AM
RdS

I didnt really buy an evo over anything; but as for why i bought my Evo 5?
It looks like i bought it for different reasons to others here.
Yes, there's no doubt these cars are bloody quick; but i bought it for what it IS.. what it was in its day.. what it respresents.. and the fact i knew it would be a hoot to drive was no argument against it!

Its a limited quanitity, single year production car; that Mitsuibishi produced simply to meet Group A homologation requirements, so they could go racing in the 1998 World Rally Championship.
..A car that then won both the manufacturers and drivers titles for that year. Its the year the Evo was everything it was ever meant to be.

My very own road registered Grp.A tarmac rally car - and its fkn how much?! *rips wallet out*

Like the BNR32; It's a damn bargain at twice the price!

It just so happens to be one of the best cars I've ever been in. There may be quicker cars on the road (..surprisingly few actually); but the combination of go, turn and stop.. point-to-point.. its almost unmatched.

On the subject of STI's though, I honestly find the STI and the EVO so similar that they're practically the same car. They've virtually been equal through their entire production.. and I would happily own either.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:22 AM
Evolving Member

For the performance. But an Sti is in the future as a daily driver.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:13 PM

Looks, handling and speed Evos are more superior.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WongFu
For the performance. But an Sti is in the future as a daily driver.
yes thats why they say "The STi is the car you drive TO the track, the Evo is the car you drive ON the track."
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I never really planned on modding, so that stuff wasn't such a big deal to me, since even if I did mod, it likely wouldn't have been anything significant. I got modding out of my system when I was in high school and wasn't thrilled with the experiences of dealing with cops or of dealing with smog checks.

I was pretty set on getting either the WRX/STI/Evo, since they were such good compromises of a lot of things. I liked the WRX, even moreso when they did the redesign for the 2004 model year. When the info was first released, I liked the looks of the STi more, plus the on-paper statistics were a bit more appealing. But I remember being surprised at how the Evo performed, not just in comparison tests but also when Motor Trend pulled off a really fast quarter-mile time (I think it was 13.06) that seemed too fast for having "only" 271 hp but more importantly being faster than but down 29 hp on the STi.

I was pretty set on a 2005 WRX in Crystal Gray Metallic, though I wasn't in a position to get one until early 2006, and there weren't any new ones at any dealerships at that time within 500 miles. I didn't like how the 2006 WRXs looked, though I was a big fan of how the 2006 Evos looked with the refresh for the IX. Luckily I knew that I'd likely still be able to get a IX, and when I test drove one, I couldn't believe how it felt, especially compared to my friend's STi that I had driven.

I really liked how much sharper it was behind the wheel while also preferring the power delivery. The interior appearance didn't really bug me that much, though the new colors in the IX were more appealing than the prior model, plus the steering wheel and seats were a lot nicer than they are in the STi. I thought that the VIII looked kind of squished, but the IX looked better with how the front end was sculpted along with the air dam, ESPECIALLY on the IX SE.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:22 PM

there is a baaaaad stigma assosciated with wrx's here in Australia.

Plus I like my evo, It's a lot of fun to work on!

Quick Reply: What made you choose an Evo over an other sports car. Specifically an STI